Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Most Boring Task in Railway Modelling

• RMweb Premium

I've spent quite a large part of today threading Exactoscale chairs onto metre lengths of rail.  This has been extremely tedious, as well as taking much longer than I thought it would.  It was not helped by the fact that when I lost concentration I managed to put quite a few on the wrong way round and had to do them again.  Are there any other tasks in modelling that are as or even more boring than that?

DT

Waiting for glue to dry!

When you've got some good ideas, and you've got time, and you've got motivation, you make a start then have to stop because the glue is wet!

It's taken me 2 days just to build half of a tunnel entrance, probably an hour of modelling and the rest spent waiting for glue to dry! And nothing else can be done on the layout because everything is based around the location and angle of this tunnel entrance!

Mark

Further to a few posts on this thread - I'd say that the simple task of waiting is the most boring.

Waiting until you've got enough time to do something; waiting for paint or glue to dry; waiting for something to arrive in the post; waiting for some all-important product to be released; waiting until you actually have enough money to buy the product...

I always hate the long periods of inactivity when I'm unable to do something (or don't have the necessary enthusiasm) and end up being forced to wait. Be it a few hours or a few weeks...

• RMweb Gold

With 16mm coach kits like these it's filing & cleaning every single edge of the overlays that gets me. Although waiting for the glue to set as the roofs are stuck to the body is also a painfully boring time. The somewhat sadistic thing is I want to expand my coach fleet soon, plenty more filing for me!

post-6756-0-32995200-1398634300.jpg

Pressing rivets.

:no: Counting them :D

I'd say that the simple task of waiting is the most boring.

Oh no, I use any waiting time to get started on the next kit/project - often at the expense of not finishing what caused the wait in the first place.

I find as one gets older time is one of the most precious commodities, it is never about having nothing to do and being bored, it is far more about wondering why is it taking so long to do when I could be busy doing something else/more interesting.

• RMweb Premium

I've spent quite a large part of today threading Exactoscale chairs onto metre lengths of rail.  This has been extremely tedious, as well as taking much longer than I thought it would.  It was not helped by the fact that when I lost concentration I managed to put quite a few on the wrong way round and had to do them again.  Are there any other tasks in modelling that are as or even more boring than that?

DT

Actually I found that quite therapeutic, and putting the odd one around facing the wrong way is not a problem as that happened sometimes on the real railway.

A year or so ago I was tempted to attempt a townscape of rows of terraced houses, as a backdrop to full length T-gauge HSTs, inspired by the approach to Newcastle through the Bensham area of Gateshead. As an experiment I bought the Scalescenes terraced house PDF and started building.

Oh dear.

Well, it looks good in my head but my sanity would not survive building enough of them to look convincing. Unless I buy a laser cutter :D.

TBH the most boring modelling jobs I've done are either glazing rolling stock or building something I'm not really interested in for a customer when I have something really interesting waiting for me on the workbench!!

Jon F

Wiring the layout up is a task I usually find a bit tedious
It always takes longer than I anticipate

I agree with the OP's sentiments re threading chairs onto rail
but I've had to "trim" the tops off C&L chairs, after track laying....
that was pretty tedious too!

marc

Sitting in traffic jams on the way to/from an exhibition with the layout, knowing that turning up half an hour/one hour later means I will be even more knackered than I would have been without the jams.

Tidying up the left over debris and putting away the tools after finishing some work on the layout.

Spending a couple of hours trying to find the tools that I did not put away last time.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

DT

Hi Torper

One club I was a member of use to get potential new members to thread what was in them days Alan Gibson (K&L then C&L) chairs on to rail. It was quite surprising how few came back the next week. :scratchhead:

Archived