RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic shot. We are at the limit of resolution but is that one of the Immingham locos with the tablet catcher recess in the drivers door? If so that limits it to a small number of locos in the D567x number range and they were allocated to these workings

Kind regards

Phil

Hi Phil

The tablet catcher locos were Finsbury Park engines to start with as they also had the LT trip cock fitted to them.

• RMweb Gold

From memory at that time harwich was used to export cars.......at least I think Britain did once.

I've had another look a the picture and I'm pretty certain that they are for export as there are triumph's on the train.

Harwich was also used to import BL cars, both allegro's and minis were also built at BLs plant at Senneffe in Belgium

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil

The tablet catcher locos were Finsbury Park engines to start with as they also had the LT trip cock fitted to them.

Cheers Clive

Yup found plenty of pictures of them around The Cross in the early days as you say - the doors must have been a later mod. I hope that loco isn't one of the tablet catcher fitted series as IIRC they didn't tend to wander much and would like to model that some time in future

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Bliley! You mean in 1977, Britain couldn't get enough allegros so they had to import them??? :)

It was because of 'industrial problems'at Longbridge went on for a number of years. Surprisingly the quality of the Belgium built cars was inferior to the British one and very few survive today, most having rusted away. What is not commonly known is that allegro's were for the day quite corrosion resistant. That would never have appeared in print as Britain's media didn't want any good news stories about and industry they were intent and ultimately succeeded in destroying

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It was because of 'industrial problems'at Longbridge went on for a number of years. Surprisingly the quality of the Belgium built cars was inferior to the British one and very few survive today, most having rusted away. What is not commonly known is that allegro's were for the day quite corrosion resistant. That would never have appeared in print as Britain's media didn't want any good news stories about and industry they were intent and ultimately succeeded in destroying

There were curtain-sided conversions of BR Ferryvans used to transport components, notably engines, to Belgium:- http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brferryvan/h1bfb8f45#h1bfb8f45

An Italian firm, Innocenti, also made Leyland vehicles (mainly Minis, but possibly also 1100s) under licence.

I have heard it said that we now manufacture and export more cars than we did back in the 1960s; I wonder if there's any truth in this.

I met a Belgian Rover dealer who said that the manufacturers forced him to take a quantity of saloons (were they the 216 and 316?) before he could get an allocation of the various Land Rover/ Discovery/Range Rover models his customers wanted; I suspect the same principle applied to the Italian market, as the daily train from the Midland to Italy always had a few wagons of undistinguished saloons amongst the Minis and Land Rovers.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I've thankfully got the PC problems sorted out, and on getting back to this great thread  I see a selection of terrific photo's of the GE line to Harwich.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

There were curtain-sided conversions of BR Ferryvans used to transport components, notably engines, to Belgium:- http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brferryvan/h1bfb8f45#h1bfb8f45

An Italian firm, Innocenti, also made Leyland vehicles (mainly Minis, but possibly also 1100s) under licence.

I have heard it said that we now manufacture and export more cars than we did back in the 1960s; I wonder if there's any truth in this.

I met a Belgian Rover dealer who said that the manufacturers forced him to take a quantity of saloons (were they the 216 and 316?) before he could get an allocation of the various Land Rover/ Discovery/Range Rover models his customers wanted; I suspect the same principle applied to the Italian market, as the daily train from the Midland to Italy always had a few wagons of undistinguished saloons amongst the Minis and Land Rovers.

I'm not sure of the current export situation but remember in the 60s the home market was absolutely massive in this country with very few foreign cars being sold here. And if we do produce more cars now, any profit goes to foreign companies

The BL models built overseas were supplied with a lot of British built components so that would have entailed ferry van movements.

You're right about innocenti in Italy, they built minis and there own little hatchback also called mini which used mini engines and subframes, it predated the metro but unfortunately had less room than a standard mini.

They also briefly produced the allegro and called it the innocenti regent

Edited by russ p

Virtually all of the production in Sunderland and Swindon is exported to Europe and elsewhere ,also much of the Land Rovers produced go abroad China being a big market as is Russia ,if you drive down the A34 you see many trucks with them on heading for Southampton.At least the factories employ locals and help the local economy I saw a programme on tv about the loading of cars onto ships and its manic almost have to be formula one drivers.I am not sure how many trains run from Cowley these days but someone will know?

Virtually all of the production in Sunderland and Swindon is exported to Europe and elsewhere ,also much of the Land Rovers produced go abroad China being a big market as is Russia ,if you drive down the A34 you see many trucks with them on heading for Southampton.At least the factories employ locals and help the local economy I saw a programme on tv about the loading of cars onto ships and its manic almost have to be formula one drivers.I am not sure how many trains run from Cowley these days but someone will know?

There's at least one train of Arbel articulated car-carriers to Purfleet every day, I believe; I don't know if there's any traffic to Southampton. The drivers who load and unload the rakes are called 'Jockeys'; if the train arrives 'in reverse', then it has to be turned on the nearest triangle, or (worst-case scenario)the cars reversed off. They do this at the same speed as they would going forward..Trains are routed by specified itineraries, and any possible change has to be advised to Control. Terminals normally have a minibus to ferry drivers from one end to the other, as the rakes can be 750m long.

Peugeot had a neat system at one of their plants; pairs of wagons would be pushed on to a transverser, loaded, then moved sideways, attached to the end of the last pair and pulled on to the outward track. This means  they need considerably fewer jockeys.

Edited by Fat Controller

• RMweb Premium

Love the forest pictures!

By any chance do you have any more from that day of the Marsh Sidings? (i.e. looking the other way from the view taken in the last picture posted)

• RMweb Gold

Love the forest pictures!

By any chance do you have any more from that day of the Marsh Sidings? (i.e. looking the other way from the view taken in the last picture posted)

Do you mean something like this one?

It was taken by Dad on the same day and it's the only I have looking in that direction.  Hope it is useful

post-5613-0-59395300-1418581939_thumb.jpg

Parkend view to coal sidings from level crossing April 72 J2888

David

• Like 19

Photos of electrics this evening from around Kilsby and Crick on the Northampton line.  At least one has appeared before in another thread, I hope no one minds too much.

attachicon.gifb Kilsby and Crick Class 86 down milk and parcels March 67 J827.jpg

Kilsby and Crick Class 86 down milk and parcels March 67 J827

Only a few weeks ago I was wondering when the magnificent tranmsitters quietly disappeared or shrunk.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Do you mean something like this one?

It was taken by Dad on the same day and it's the only I have looking in that direction.  Hope it is useful.

David

That's fantastic!  Many thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photo's of the Dean Forest Railway, and also of Kilsby and Crick. I especially like J827 of the class 86 hauled milk and parcels train.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

ISTR that green 31's with BR arrows is not that unusual. I once modelled a green 31 (possibly 5518) with white roof and BR arrows in TT - that had been used on Royal Train duty - now that did look odd!

A quick glance at one of my Bradford Barton Diesel books finds 5685 and 5820 also in green with arrows. Somewhere, I have a list..............

Cheers,

Mick

Yes me too..... I've got 69 locos with green full yellow ends (gfye) and BR arrows, about 1 in every 3. There were also about 6 in green with small panels (gsyp) and arrows. Still got around 30 locos unknown.

Interesting to see a "down" coal train (J6571). At that date I wonder where it was from and to. One thinks of coal going to London from the Midlands and this must be south of most Midlands collieries.

Coking coal from East Kent to Yorkshire, probably. Until the demise of the Kent coalfield, after the Miners' Strike, there would be block trains of Midlands/ Yorkshire coal to Northfleet cement works which, when empty,  would then continue to collect a back load of coal from the pits down here.