Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Liking tonight's photo's very much indeed. There's quite a bit to be seen in photo' J1790a, at Aslockton, in July, 1969. Not only do you have two class 20's running L.E., but there is the signals, the level crossing, and the oil lamps. All will be so different today!

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

Lovely interior shot of Bingham SB. Totally captures the "atmosphere" of a nice old signalbox, something that seems to have completely gone from the remaining manual "re-furbished" boxes nowadays. Jeez, I can almost smell it!. 

Jon F.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great photos as always David and totally agree with previous comments 'oh for a time machine', I wasn't even around for the first time so excellent photos like this are all I have to imagine what I missed out on.

Keep em coming, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. These are quality photo's of Harrogate and the railway passing through The Stray. In J730, of the class 110 DMU on service B1 to Leeds, January, 1967, I see that the TSL has a coaching stock crest applied to it - this I think must have been one of those local things done by, maybe, Leeds Neville Hill.

All the best,

Market65.

I always thought the double chimney on the Jubilee looked odd, it is because the inner rim around each half of the chimney is round and very visible making the chimney look almost like a figure eight when viewed from a high position. Perhaps this was the solitary chimney which migrated to different Jubs, 5742, 5596 and maybe another, can't remember.

Edward

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo's of Dinting. Great to see the more unusual engines. Then the WR hydraulics. I particularly like that first photo', J155, of a class 22 at Bideford in August, 1964. Very atmospheric.

All the best,

Market65.

Searching for that Beyer Peacock tram engine brought me to a collection of Dinting pictures on Flickr, Dave - a remarkable sense of déjà vu! 

Sadly it appears to be stored in a dismantled state away from a certain museum in Derbyshire, a long-term restoration project.

The shot of the warship "going away" at Pirbright Junction is probably 817 "Foxhound" too, it was a regular on the Waterloo-Exeter trains, and retained Maroon livery until withdrawal.

As many of you will remember 1975 was the 150th anniversary of the opening of the Stockton and Darlington Railway, as part of the celebrations there was the big exhibition at Shildon.

In June of that year Mum and Dad went on a Railway and Canal Historical Society weekend tour of the Stockton and Darlington and other early railways in the area, led by Ken Hoole.  Tonight we have a few of the photos he took, more will follow from time to time.

One of the photos is mine of a more modern train at Shildon.

attachicon.gifea Darlington North Road Kitchings works May 75 J4418.jpg

Darlington North Road Kitchings works May 75 J4418

attachicon.gifea Darlington North Road goods shed May 75 J4425.jpg

Darlington North Road goods shed May 75 J4425

attachicon.giff Heighington up platform May 75 J4466.jpg

Heighington up platform May 75 J4466

attachicon.giff Heighington rear of down platform May 75 J4467.jpg

Heighington rear of down platform May 75 J4467

attachicon.giff Heighington left remains of S&D Aycliffe Lane station, right down platform May 75 J4468.jpg

Heighington left remains of S&D Aycliffe Lane station, right down platform May 75 J4468

attachicon.gifg Shildon prototype HST 252001 24th Aug 75 C2315.jpg

Shildon prototype HST 252001 24th Aug 75 C2315

David

My pictures from the cavalcade were of very poor quality - I'm hoping there's more where these came from.

Regards,

Roy

• RMweb Gold

My pictures from the cavalcade were of very poor quality - I'm hoping there's more where these came from.

Regards,

Roy

At some future date, both from the Shildon site and the cavalcade, all being well.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Great stuff Dave

Like the photos of Reading in 1976 in Downendian's hydraulic thread - how many of us were there?

Remember it was a great weekend out on the Strongbow Express - IIRC for those who joined at Cheltenham or earlier there was the pleasure of being one of the last passenger trains over the Cheltenham - Toddington - Honeybourne line

Phil