Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Vesta packet curries were ideal for this activity, because if we all bought the same one - usually the beef curry for two (big appetites) - each, then we could just tip it in one big saucepan and the accumulated rice in another. Those were the days......... weren't they?

Remember how if you didn't stir it there would be lumps that resembled sawdust in the middle of your curry - which also contained the odd raisin !

Vesta packet curries were ideal for this activity, because if we all bought the same one - usually the beef curry for two (big appetites) - each, then we could just tip it in one big saucepan and the accumulated rice in another. Those were the days......... weren't they?

Remember how if you didn't stir it there would be lumps that resembled sawdust in the middle of your curry - which also contained the odd raisin !

• Like 2

Anyway, here it is - as with all his 1965 photos it is from a half frame slide (24mm x 18mm) so quality is always a problem.  This one is particularly poor.

Dave,

Thanks for trying. I think you can just make out the pipe  (or whatever it is?) through the side window.

Hope you don't mind but here is a pic of the bonnet top of D2232 in Darlington North Yard, 1966.

I post it, in the hope someone may know of it's purpose?

post-508-0-16015400-1427840506.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The pipe looks like it is connected to the radiator header by the small pipe with the gate valve in it. Not knowing much about these locos (or any other for that matter!), could the original rad have been unpressurised? And this was a modification to make it pressurised with the pipe being an expansion vessel? Maybe the original duties of these pair required a lot of heavy work in 1st gear, whiched caused them to boil over...

Or is it some sort of lubricant header, or a diesel header?

Just some thoughts.

Andy G

Just some thoughts.

I've been thinking along similar lines. Ex drivers have said that the heating during winter months could be abysmal on shunters. (Household type  radiators plumbed into the cooling system apparently) This would lead to allsorts of workarounds that mainly involved blanking of the radiator aperture.

I've wondered if it might have been an  official mod/experiment aimed at curing the heating problem by preventing coolant cavitation?

P

Hi, Dave. Very nostalgic photo's have been posted by you of York this evening. The two tone green on the 47's is a livery which always suited them so well. Now, in photo' J243, of 40 D252, on a down parcels, August, 1963, I see that the ladder on the nose-end is still there - without referring to a book I have, I think that this 40 was, maybe, one of the last to have the ladder still in place the Summer of '63.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

The subject of ladders surviving on EE Type 4s has been discussed in another thread (but I cant remember which one, sorry) and I think we concluded that one kept its ladder into 1970, despite the conventional wisdom that they were all removed quite quickly.

EDIT:    to add it was Chris T's photo of D253 at Sandy in 1969 that clinched it.  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_11_2014/post-13986-0-33189600-1416341660.jpg

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Really like the photo's posted this evening. Plenty of smoke and steam in the first one of Britannia 70031 Byron. I like the way the water is reflecting things in C2824 at Sandon.

All the best,

Market65.

Hi. I believe that there were also cuts during the power workers strike in the winter of '70/'71 as well. So, with some cuts also in the Autumn of '77, that makes four lots of power cuts that the UK were hit with.

All the best,

Market65.

There were indeed. I well remember going my ex-school's prize giving at that time; halfway along the road to the school, all the street lights went off. We did wonder whether the event would take place.

• RMweb Premium

I've been thinking along similar lines. Ex drivers have said that the heating during winter months could be abysmal on shunters. (Household type  radiators plumbed into the cooling system apparently) This would lead to allsorts of workarounds that mainly involved blanking of the radiator aperture.

I've wondered if it might have been an  official mod/experiment aimed at curing the heating problem by preventing coolant cavitation?

P

I'm not sure it would help that much to be honest. Could it be some sort of a heat exchanger (are there any pipes coming off elsewhere?) to help keep the engine oil cool?

Andy G

(are there any pipes coming off elsewhere?)

From the other two phots I have (both from the R.H. side of the loco) there's nothing that I can see. There what appears to be a small threaded cap protruding from the top of the "Pipe" about a foot from it's rear end. Cab end of Loco.

From this phot the pipe looks like it could have a slight taper or be mounted across the bonnet top at a slight angle.

post-508-0-51722500-1427997846.jpg

Maybe it was a Bazooka to frighten off errand trespassers or where the driver kept his maps in case he got lost?? :)

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Dave -- you spoil us (but I'm not complaining...).    Can somebody please explain the purpose of the wrong-road miniature arm and the trap-point in the middle siding in J018?   The vacuum-fitted iron-ore tipplers in J1618 are interesting.    The magnificent scene of a Deltic in full cry in C1735 seems like yesterday, but it's actually over 40 years' ago...   

Bill

From the other two phots I have (both from the R.H. side of the loco) there's nothing that I can see. There what appears to be a small threaded cap protruding from the top of the "Pipe" about a foot from it's rear end. Cab end of Loco.

From this phot the pipe looks like it could have a slight taper or be mounted across the bonnet top at a slight angle.

attachicon.gifD2231DarloPilotMk1SubCompEditSM.jpg

Maybe it was a Bazooka to frighten off errand trespassers or where the driver kept his maps in case he got lost?? :)

P

To me, it looks like the chimney extension that fairground Burrells used to carry on the roof.....

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photo's of the ECML tonight. I also like C1735 of the 55 on a down passenger train in August, 1974. A timeless view. And then, J018, what a good shot of a 40 on the up Flying Scotsman, complete with some Thompson coaching stock.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

A look at the ECML today, long before electrification.  This time we are north of Newark travelling to Retford.

attachicon.gifr Retford Class 40 up ex pass in heavy rain Feb 72 C845.jpg

*Retford Class 40 up ex pass in heavy rain Feb 72 C845

David

Lots has changed *here, sadly not the weather!

Love the Tuxford shot BTW.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Dave -- you spoil us (but I'm not complaining...).    Can somebody please explain the purpose of the wrong-road miniature arm and the trap-point in the middle siding in J018?   The vacuum-fitted iron-ore tipplers in J1618 are interesting.    The magnificent scene of a Deltic in full cry in C1735 seems like yesterday, but it's actually over 40 years' ago...   

Bill

Maybe not a good explanation but the line with the trap isn't a siding but the exit from Tuxford sidings  so is a signaled running line - the siding on the left was, I believe, the head shunt for the sidings and the line on the right is a siding. You can see a photo of the other direction here http://signalboxes.com/tuxford-signalboxes.php (scroll down the page fro the shot of Tuxford Dukeries Junction)

Rob

Edited by 30851

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Always good to see photo's of Heaton. It's fascinating to see the former Stratford breakdown coach in C13930  - it is clearly a Mk1 conversion, but I'm not sure what from. Love the shot of 56124 in C13944 working hard at the head of a MGR train.

All the best,

Market65.

It's fascinating to see the former Stratford breakdown coach in C13930  - it is clearly a Mk1 conversion, but I'm not sure what from.

According to Hugh Longworth's 'BR Mark 1 and Mark 2 Coaching Stock' tome, ADB975054 was a Doncaster-built Diag.183 BSO, no. E9200, converted in Dec. 1972. The ex-brake end is nearest the camera.

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. Always good to see photo's of Heaton. It's fascinating to see the former Stratford breakdown coach in C13930  - it is clearly a Mk1 conversion, but I'm not sure what from. Love the shot of 56124 in C13944 working hard at the head of a MGR train.

All the best,

Market65.

www.departmentals.com is always worth a look for departmental stuff.

Cheers,

mick