Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent to see photo's of the Great Eastern. In photo's C2784, and C4274, we are going from the hottest summer of the '70's to what was probably the coldest winter. Just look at the open window vents on 309625 at Brook Street, on the 13th, June, 1976. Then the freezing cold looking conditions that 302214, at Shenfield, is running in. Fascinating stuff!

All the best,

Market65.

Hi Dave, many thanks for the Great Eastern photos tonight. Nice to be reminded of how Liverpool Street looked in it's NSE days in C19121 with the 312.

Also always nice to see a shot of the much missed 309s with their original windscreens. (Taken 4 days before I was born- yikes!!)

Aha! So you did have some photos of the Shenfield area, after all.... Taken from the footbridge off Priests Lane?

Nice shots of Liverpool Street too.

Many thanks, David!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Aha! So you did have some photos of the Shenfield area, after all.... Taken from the footbridge off Priests Lane?

Nice shots of Liverpool Street too.

Many thanks, David!

Best, Pete.

Yes,  I think it was that footbridge.

I sometimes wonder what the area is like now - I haven't been there since 1980.

David

David

I don’t think it has changed much since the 80’s - it was at saturation point then. I dated a young lady from a rather large Edwardian house opposite the footpath entrance and I think it’s the same as it was in 1970...

thanks, again, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday I said I'd ended the visit to Beamish, I'd forgotten I took a few photos of the Waggonway at Pockerly, the part of Beamish set in the 1820s.

The  Steam Elephant was working.  The original Steam Elephant was built in 1815 for the Wallsend Colliery by Wiliam Chapman and John Buddle.  The original was known only through a painting and sketches, the museum researched as much as they could and the replica was built in 2002.

Three links: 

http://www.beamish.org.uk/areas-of-beamish/

http://www.locos-in-profile.co.uk/Early_Locomotives/Early_4.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_Elephant

post-5613-0-76455100-1429103427_thumb.jpg

Steam Elephant DSC_5805

post-5613-0-65933600-1429103431_thumb.jpg

Steam Elephant DSC_5808

A steam navvy was visiting Beamish.

post-5613-0-42763800-1429103438_thumb.jpg

Steam Navvy DSC_5801

Two trams in the tram shed

post-5613-0-87749000-1429103410_thumb.jpg

196 and 26 in the shed DSC_5752

post-5613-0-23606700-1429103422_thumb.jpg

Steam at Beamish DSC_5722

Lastly and nothing to do with railways a bit of atmosphere in the pit village.

post-5613-0-10227700-1429103417_thumb.jpg

Morning smoke DSC_5636

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Great pics as usual. 

I know zilch about Trams, however I notice that the Sunderland one has only a single 'bogie'. Or was it rigid chassis?

Phil

It's a four wheel tram, unlike the Newcastle one which has two bogies.

The Sunderland tram was built in 1900 and ran until 1954.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Steam Elephant in the Beamish photo's, a most intriguing engine. The Cambrian coast line photo's show a basic DMU (class 103's in particular) service by 1979. It is very scenic, as seen in photo' C4766 at Barmouth, which has mountains, shipping and railway.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

C4766 - and rain clouds over Cader. A real winner. Our first holiday away from home after we were married was in a guest house in Barmouth with wonderful views overlooking the estuary. I have had a soft spot for the area ever since. When we were visiting it was just about the end of goods trains north of Machynlleth but I never got any good photos, so love J2263. Many thanks and please keep them coming.

Jonathan

J3306; has bad memories for me - there's a footpath runs (or used to) alongside the railway line.

I got about a third of the way across and completely froze - it's quite high. Embarrassingly my then girlfriend had to lead me back across whilst I kept my eyes closed. This was alomst 30 years ago, but that picture still made my stomach somersault. :scared:

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photo's of the Highland line tonight. J3306 for me is a great photo' of Culrain, which is, for me, a really stunning place. Regarding the gas pipes, we're having quite a number of them being replaced here in Beverley as well.

All the best,

Market65.

Fascinating signal equipment in J3897. I assume the counterweight is for a signal and there rather than on tyhe post for some reason but it doesn't seem to be the signal in the photo.

Jonathan David

Could be the point in the background or its associated ground signal in the siding...

• RMweb Gold

J3306; has bad memories for me - there's a footpath runs (or used to) alongside the railway line.

I got about a third of the way across and completely froze - it's quite high. Embarrassingly my then girlfriend had to lead me back across whilst I kept my eyes closed. This was alomst 30 years ago, but that picture still made my stomach somersault. :scared:

Like a lot of people who have stayed at Culrain Castle YH, I've walked over that bridge too. I'm afraid you missed the pub on the other side which was the main reason for going! I was there a couple of years in a row, about 30 years ago now too.

I'm with you there. The railway doesn't employ enough people to drag me over such a structure. I put a foot through a plank one night and I have never been quite the same since. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm with you there. The railway doesn't employ enough people to drag me over such a structure. I put a foot through a plank one night and I have never been quite the same since. 

Where there's a blame there's a claim, you must be rolling in it, psychologically scarred for life and all that!

Mike.

• Like 1

The prevailing attitude at the time didn't allow luxuries as claiming for such things. Another lasting effect is i now get to go first over anything that looks even remotely dodgy. 'Richard's been over it so it's ok' (23 Stone in my stockings..) The sight of the two ends of planks spiralling down into the river Nene and the splash they made is lasting stuff i can assure you.

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 1