Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Interesting photos ,is the turntable still there?

Still there on the 2012 Google earth image.

Edit - Clive got there first!

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's of the GEML tonight. In C1957, at Boreham, of the 37 hauled parcels, there are remains of the Snow that we had over the Easter weekend of 1975. The prototype of the class 313 is always good to see, and in C2474, I see that the car with the pantograph has no window vents unlike the other two cars.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

Edited by Market65

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's of the GEML tonight. In C1957, at Boreham, of the 37 hauled parcels, there are remains of the Snow that we had over the Easter weekend of 1975. The prototype of the class 313 is always good to see, and in C2474, I see that the car with the pantograph has no window vents unlike the other two cars.

All the best,

Market65.

The other cars were delivered without window vents too, but the vents had to be added later because the pressure-ventilation didn't do the job and the passengers were passing out in the aisles...

• RMweb Premium

More great stuff. The 47 in C3362 looks like 47298.

C5364 is interesting in that the presumably LS- Norwich train is still non-air-con MK2s so what is the air-con MK2 doing in the background. Why/how would it have got there?

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Premium

More great stuff. The 47 in C3362 looks like 47298.

C5364 is interesting in that the presumably LS- Norwich train is still non-air-con MK2s so what is the air-con MK2 doing in the background. Why/how would it have got there?

Hi Andrew

81ish was when the GER lost its traditional means of air conditioning to the modern germ sharing method so could they be deliveries on their way to Norwich.

Or second thoughts wasn't there a open-day in the early 80s at Colchester yard, could they be part of the display showing the punters what new coaches they wouldn't be able to find seats on.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

On those Mk2s - I've got photos of 47s and non-aircon Mk2s going through Stratford in late 84 (also on the same day, 86030 on a training/test run with non-aircon Mk2s). But I've also got a 47 on aircon Mk2s at Ipswich and at Norwich in late 84 and in 1983.

Did they have a mixture of rakes for a while? Might the Harwich boat trains have stayed non-aircon for longer?

• RMweb Premium

On those Mk2s - I've got photos of 47s and non-aircon Mk2s going through Stratford in late 84 (also on the same day, 86030 on a training/test run with non-aircon Mk2s). But I've also got a 47 on aircon Mk2s at Ipswich and at Norwich in late 84 and in 1983.

Did they have a mixture of rakes for a while? Might the Harwich boat trains have stayed non-aircon for longer?

Hi

Harwich and some Yarmouth trains did remain a mix of Mk1 and early Mk2 after the Norwich trains converted to Mk2ds.

The Cambridge and Kings Lynn trains were also a mix of Mk1 and early Mk2 at this time as well.

Hi

Harwich and some Yarmouth trains did remain a mix of Mk1 and early Mk2 after the Norwich trains converted to Mk2ds.

The Cambridge and Kings Lynn trains were also a mix of Mk1 and early Mk2 at this time as well.

IIRC the GE took the redundant AC mk2s from the MML when the HSTs arrived, which would have been '83. Some of the non-ac mk2s then went on to the Norwich -Birmingham replacing some pretty ancient ml 1 stock.

There was still a fair amount of Mk1 stock kicking around long after that, some of the Cambridge, Harwich and Kings Lynn services saw them into NSE days, presumably only the dual heated ones by that time.

• RMweb Gold

J1370....interesting 'matchboard' coach; what is it ....does any one know?

p

It's ex SECR design, built by the Southern in 1924.  A brake 3rd, No 3554.  It was purchased by the railway in 1965 and re sold for a nominal sum to the Vintage Carriages Trust in 1972.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

David. I think you will find it is 3554 and is known as Continental SECR stock. A rare survivor of a pregrouping body design, fitted with standard SR bogies.

Thanks Paul,

Once again I can't type simple numbers!

David

• RMweb Gold

Just wonder on C2925 if the view is from the Hucknall station overbridge looking north, rather than from Hucknall Colliery, which was south of the station. Sorry if I am being a bit pedantic.

I think you are right, the previous photo I took was looking south to Hucknall Colliery, I think I simply walked across the bridge to take this photo.

Many thanks for pointing this out, I've amended the caption. 

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some great photo's of the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway as well as the ones from Nottinghamshire. In photo' J1355, at Haworth, with E.E. D0226, in July, 1968, there is a carriage in the background which looks, from what can seen of it, as if it could be either of GNR or LNER design, I'm just wondering which. I like the overall view in photo' C2925 of Hucknall, as it was in July, 1976 - I can see the train in the distance.

All the best,

Market65.

Guest B Exam

IIRC the GE took the redundant AC mk2s from the MML when the HSTs arrived, which would have been '83. Some of the non-ac mk2s then went on to the Norwich -Birmingham replacing some pretty ancient ml 1 stock.

There was still a fair amount of Mk1 stock kicking around long after that, some of the Cambridge, Harwich and Kings Lynn services saw them into NSE days, presumably only the dual heated ones by that time.

The GE Air conditioned coaches came from off the ECML when HSTs started to take over in the late 70s.

The MML Air conditioned coaches were converted for the Southern Region into Classes 487/488 Gatwick Express stock.

Anyway, back to Dave F's photos....

Another cracking selection from my local area of Nottinghamshire. Keep up the good work!

Edited by B Exam