Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Methill....I seem to remember going there to find a single shunter that was kept there; probably mid to late 70s?

Anyway, OT but it is six months since Tim Peak wen to the Space Station. That seems like only a week or so ago; oh dear.
Phil

My Scottish cousins all worked in the Methil Yards knocking up oil rigs.  I recall seeing them looming over the streets where I learned to ride a bike with them one summer.  Wish I'd paid more attention to the local industry and railways - all wiped from the ace of the earth now, along with most of the cousins.

• RMweb Gold

Just playing spot the difference on the 2 shots of Appleby that are 10 years apart. Up to now:-

• Up home, arm moved down the doll by about 6 feet
  • Extra warning sign on the up side
  • Structures repainted.

Any more?

JF

Edit-pole run gone on the later shot :blind:

Colour of lamp post base sections has changed,

Orange cable piping has appeared.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A lovely set of photos from the eastern side of Scotland. In the first one at Aberdour, I see that the line that the class 158 is running on is check railed but the other line is not. I wonder why that was?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The line with the checkrail is bullhead on chairs and wooden sleepers, the other line is flat-bottomed rail on concrete. Concrete is much better able to resist gauge widening. I would imagine that the concrete sleepered line has been renewed but not the other.

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the Keighly and Worth Valley Railway photos. Good to see the of 57xx in its Railway Children guise, and I like the one of BR standard 75078. Both are excellent photos of those engines.

And the photos of Skipton are so historical. I like them all. The end of steam was all too apparent by the time that those photos were taken. The engines were in a fairly poor condition by then. They certainly show the rust and general neglect that steam was allowed to get into by then. More of them please.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

J778 and J781:

Great shots of the early and late Black 5s showing well the forked combination lever and plain union link on 5219, but the plain combination lever and forked (and longer) union link on 4887, as well as the latter's longer slide bars. Priceless.

Cheers,

BR(W).

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I enjoyed seeing the earlier photos, but not to worry for the second set of BR era end of steam type photos are just as good.

The unit in the last one is Rolls Royce engined, and was class 113.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

J912 is not a 108 or even a pair thereof but an assemblage of the Cravens units with huge combined destination and headcode boxes - Class 112 or 113.

Chris

Hi, Dave. I enjoyed seeing the earlier photos, but not to worry for the second set of BR era end of steam type photos are just as good.

The unit in the last one is Rolls Royce engined, and was class 113.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Many thanks Rob and Chris.

Yet again I forgot to actually look at the photo instead of just looking at Dad's catalogue.  

Even more annoyingly I'd made exactly the same mistake when I'd written the notes on the back of the black and white print from the photo I took of the same train.

David

J912 is not a 108 or even a pair thereof but an assemblage of the Cravens units with huge combined destination and headcode boxes - Class 112 or 113.

Chris

The blue 113 cars both appear to be blue with yellow panel. First colour shot I've seen of that livery. I've seen a shot of one in blue with wrap around yellow ends. Considering the small number in the class, (only 50 cars), and the short length or time in service, they certainly carried some different liveries.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photos of Harrogate. Your Dad may no longer be here, but he has left a remarkable photographic legacy. These of Harrogate are no exception.

The second one photo shows a class 108 rather than a class 101. Also, it's exhaust pipes are unusual in that they have no silencers, and don't meet up at the top in a common exhaust box.

In last photo, it is nice seeing William Whitelaw working on that LCGB special train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Top class as usual, really enjoy catching up on your topic. 92125 (J854) caught my eye as I have just renumbered and weathered one of mine to 92125 as it together with another I have done 92058 appear to have been regulars on the S&C I have noticed both in books and DVD's etc.

Here they are, what do you think comparing them?

post-5296-0-71270300-1466448233_thumb.jpg

92125 on the southbound coal

post-5296-0-26792600-1466448417_thumb.jpg

92058 in the siding

I also particularly revelled in the shots of Skipton, I once got the BR track plan and drawings of the station buildings with the intention of modelling it, naturally once I tried the usual 'compression' I still needed much more space than anticipated so it was back to the drawing board.

Apologies for hijacking!!!

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Top class as usual, really enjoy catching up on your topic. 92125 (J854) caught my eye as I have just renumbered and weathered one of mine to 92125 as it together with another I have done 92058 appear to have been regulars on the S&C I have noticed both in books and DVD's etc.

Here they are, what do you think comparing them?

attachicon.gif2016-06-02 20.13.26.jpg

92125 on the southbound coal

attachicon.gif2016-06-02 19.39.15_renamed_4406.jpg

92058 in the siding

I also particularly revelled in the shots of Skipton, I once got the BR track plan and drawings of the station buildings with the intention of modelling it, naturally once I tried the usual 'compression' I still needed much more space than anticipated so it was back to the drawing board.

Apologies for hijacking!!!

I think the look remarkably like the weathering on the real ones.    I just wish I had your skills - but I model the Midland pre grouping so I don't have to worry about too many very dirty engines.

David

• Like 1