Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

j1791 seems to have a 46 that has toasted itself recently, notice that the bodyside from the large grill back to the cab appears to be black. Does anyone actually know if this is the case?

Lovely set of photos again David. Thank you.

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos from Ratcliffe on Soar today. There seems to be some oil at rear of the 46 in the first photo. Certainly a good weathering excercise on a model.

In the last photo there is a really good photo of a 25 on an empty wagon train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Dave - many thanks for posting the photos they are much appreciated. Having grown up and continuing to live in the Loughborough area the local ones are particularly interesting although for work I regularly travel further afield by rail. Of particular interest are images with canals in them - they are my main interest. My avatar is the name of our boat.

On current rolling stock there are a couple of odd ball HST sets on the Midland mainline - one has a Virgin buffet car still in Virgin livery and another has a first class coach in the middle of the standard class ones.

All the best

Richard

• RMweb Gold

1D11 was the 13:20 St Pancras-Nottingham

1M24 was the 12:55 Sheffield-St Pancras (via Nottingham)

1M21 was the 12:10 Sheffield-St Pancras (via Derby)

1E26 was the 14:05 St Pancras-Sheffield

Thanks again Mark.  I'm sure there will be a lot more for you to identify in the coming year, I hope you'll be happy to continue with your work on the train details, I appreciate it a lot.

I am slowly adding the extra details to my catalogues for future reference.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

j1791 seems to have a 46 that has toasted itself recently, notice that the bodyside from the large grill back to the cab appears to be black. Does anyone actually know if this is the case?

Lovely set of photos again David. Thank you.

Andy G

Not sure on the Peaks, but the 47s sometimes did similar. It usually indicated a cracked oil cooler. The oil pressure being higher than the water pressure led to oil seeping into the cooling system, not terminal but when the loco was serviced the coolant header tank would be topped up til overflowing. As a consequence the lighter oil gets forced out of the overflow/vent and it runs down the bodysides, and would also occur on the road as the water temperature rose. And we all know a little oil goes a long way....

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the Beamish photos, which have some remarkable locomotives to be seen.

Then a great set of photos of the Blyth and Tyne. In C5887, of 37093, at Freemans Crossing, you can see how someone has painted on, very crudely indeed, the locos running number on the nose end.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Over the next few days I thought we could have a few extra photos.  I've chosen some I took in the autumn of 2011 at Beamish and the Tanfield Railway, both of which are not too far from home for me.

I'll just caption the places, you can enjoy finding out about the locos!

We'll start today with some taken on the lines around the pit and village at Beamish.   Note:  Some of the locos were visiting.

attachicon.gifBeamish Pit village 2nd Sept 2011 DSC_5253.jpg

Beamish Pit village 2nd Sept 2011 DSC_5253

attachicon.gifBeamish Pit 2nd Sept 2011 villageDSC_5256.jpg

Beamish Pit 2nd Sept 2011 DSC_5256

attachicon.gifBeamish Pit 2nd Sept 2011 villageDSC_5257.jpg

Beamish Pit 2nd Sept 2011 DSC_5257

attachicon.gifBeamish Pit 2nd Sept 2011 villageDSC_5259.jpg

Beamish Pit 2nd Sept 2011 DSC_5259

attachicon.gifBeamish Pit 2nd Sept 2011 villageDSC_5267.jpg

Beamish Pit 2nd Sept 2011 DSC_5267

David

If these had been weathered, would have looked quite real!!  only kidding. 

Hi, Dave. I love the Beamish photos, which have some remarkable locomotives to be seen.

Then a great set of photos of the Blyth and Tyne. In C5887, of 37093, at Freemans Crossing, you can see how someone has painted on, very crudely indeed, the locos running number on the nose end.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

One of my fellow drivers, who like me used to take photos of the locos we worked on, would write the loco number in grease, or in the dirt, on the front of the loco if he thought the number wouldn't be seen in the photo to make it easier to identify it and the date from his diary. It could be some of his handiwork?

Paul J.

• Like 1

Merry Christmas Dave, as others have said thankyou very much for our daily feed of excellent shots. Pity the weather isnt like the pic on your xmas card, and also the current traction. I need a loan of your time machine!

All the best

James

• RMweb Gold

Merry Christmas everyone.  

I hope that all of you, whatever you are doing and wherever you are, enjoy your day. 

A few more from Beamish to start the day, more photos will follow sometime later today.

I've noticed one of these appeared fairly recently -Oops.  But which one?

post-5613-0-16069100-1482658697_thumb.jpg

Beamish Pit 2nd Sept 2011 DSC_5258

post-5613-0-08929900-1482658703_thumb.jpg

Beamish Pit 2nd Sept 2011 DSC_5262

post-5613-0-88206100-1482658707_thumb.jpg

Beamish Pit 2nd Sept 2011 DSC_5265

post-5613-0-10661900-1482658716_thumb.jpg

Beamish Pit 2nd Sept 2011 DSC_5267

post-5613-0-73398000-1482658721_thumb.jpg

Beamish Pit 2nd Sept 2011 DSC_5268

David

Edited by DaveF