Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the Severn Valley photos, and what a sight The Great Marquess makes in red primer!

The photos of Newark look magical in the snow and fog. And in the last one, the MkII must be another stock move.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

1A07 was the 07:25SX Newcastle-KX

J2056 with the damaged headcode in theory should be the following 07:50 Bradford-KX, but if so should be formed of Mk2a stock. The Mk1 formation suggests 08:48 Halifax/09:00 Bradford/09:30 Leeds-KX possibly.

C3400 from the formation was the 14:10 KX-Leeds

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

J2630 captioned "Perry Barr"

Being pedantic the Stour valley line from B'ham to Wolves doesn't go through Perry Barr.

I don't recognise the shot from that area

Any more info?

Cheers

Keith

EDIT

I reckon this is the shot:

https://goo.gl/maps/vepKSShccbG2

It is the A4040 (Outer Circle) Winson Green loooking North

The brick arch bridge is the connecting line from the Stour Valley Line (from the left) to the Grand Junction LIne (to the right) Via Soho Pool

The steel girder bridge is the GWR  (now Birmingham to Stourbridge Line & Midland Metro) going from Snow Hill (to the right) to Wolverhampton/Stourbridge (to the left)

Edited by melmerby

Were they rebuilding/doing some engineering at Polesworth? The track under the train doesn't look very well ballasted, and I thought the lines were paired by direction (up-up-down-down) there.

I wondered if the image might be back to front

• RMweb Gold

I wondered if the image might be back to front

Is this better?

I did make a note when I scanned this batch that I thought this might be back to front but forget to check it when I posted it - perhaps a result of too much Christmas food.

The version below does look more believable.

post-5613-0-72812400-1482771572_thumb.jpg

Polesworth Class 40 down ex pass Nov 63 J081

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Were they rebuilding/doing some engineering at Polesworth? The track under the train doesn't look very well ballasted, and I thought the lines were paired by direction (up-up-down-down) there.

I should have done a multiquote for this and the query below about the photo being back to front.

Elsewhere in the thread are more photos of Polesworth.  In the others it can be seen that there is a length of rail each side of this track which looks as though it has just been removed with new rail on the sleepers.  This makes the track look odd, in fact the ballast is as normal.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Being pedantic the Stour valley line from B'ham to Wolves doesn't go through Perry Barr.

Any more info?

Cheers

Keith

EDIT

The brick arch bridge is the connecting line from the Stour Valley Line (from the left) to the Grand Junction LIne (to the right) Via Soho Pool

The steel girder bridge is the GWR  (now Birmingham to Stourbridge Line & Midland Metro) going from Snow Hill (to the right) to Wolverhampton/Stourbridge (to the left)

Thanks very much for working that out.  The image is one of Dad's, I wasn't there that day - I was living in Manchester at the time.

When I captioned it I just used his notes which, just like my own, are fallible at times.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

1A07 was the 07:25SX Newcastle-KX

J2056 with the damaged headcode in theory should be the following 07:50 Bradford-KX, but if so should be formed of Mk2a stock. The Mk1 formation suggests 08:48 Halifax/09:00 Bradford/09:30 Leeds-KX possibly.

C3400 from the formation was the 14:10 KX-Leeds

Mark,  

Thanks again for sorting out these trains.

I am sure you are right about the second up train in the fog and snow at Newark.  It was a day which has remained in my memory - partly because of the fog and ice on the drive from Dad's near Radcliffe on Trent to Newark along the A46.

The trains were not running to time and a number of headcodes were wrong too.

Edited to correct a detail.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Another great set of photos from Beamish. Great seeing the Locomotion replica in steam.

The WCML photos are show a typical variety of trains at different times, both diesel and electric.

Just to confirm that the first copy of the Polesworth photo being back to front is that the first coach, a Mk1 BSK, was showing the compartment side on the wrong side. All is as it should be in the second photo'.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave.

I recognise some of the locations quite well from trips on the road network!

You and your Dad must have done a fair bit of walking to get to the site of some of the photos because J2115 & J2116 are taken from by this farm bridge looking south:

https://goo.gl/maps/iM7XdBhdmEF2

You would need to walk across the fields from the A5 to get there!

(Actually it is a public footpath from the A5 to Long Buckby)

Cheers

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

J2053 the 2 class 31's at Newark are the tablet fitted variety with nearest one looking like D5675. They are likely heading back to High Dyke for another load of iron ore for Scunthorpe. The headcode on the rear locomotive 8D78 was for 04.20 Barnetby - High Dyke empties, and with reversal taking place at Barnetby on a subsequent trip to Scunthorpe, this appears to have become the rear loco.

A few more from Beamish for this afternoon.

attachicon.gifBeamish Rowley station Sept 11DSC_5187.JPG

Beamish Rowley station Sept 11 DSC_5187

attachicon.gifBeamish Pit 2nd September 2011 DSC_5274.jpg

Beamish Pit 2nd September 2011 DSC_5274

attachicon.gifBeamish Pit 2nd September 2011 DSC_5275.jpg

Beamish Pit 2nd September 2011 DSC_5275

attachicon.gifBeamish Pockerley Waggonway 2nd September 2011 DSC_5280.jpg

Beamish Pockerley Waggonway 2nd September 2011 DSC_5280

attachicon.gifBeamish Pockerley Waggonway 2nd September 2011 DSC_5282.jpg

Beamish Pockerley Waggonway 2nd September 2011 DSC_5282

David

David,

That Y7 is a little beauty!

I guess that on the Polesworth shot the up and down fast lines are widely separated?

Regards,

Roy

• RMweb Gold

David,

I guess that on the Polesworth shot the up and down fast lines are widely separated?

Regards,

Roy

Yes, they are as you can see in this photo (which has been on this thread a long time ago).

post-5613-0-97153100-1482781853_thumb.jpg

Polesworth Britannia 70029 Shooting Star up ex goods Nov 63 J082

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

David,

Regards,

Roy

It looks like one time there might have been plans for an island platform which has not been provided:

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwr/polesworth/lnwr_pol1212.jpg

Keith

Hi Dave

Any more info?

Cheers

Keith

EDIT

Thanks very much for working that out.  The image is one of Dad's, I wasn't there that day - I was living in Manchester at the time.

When I captioned it I just used his notes which, just like my own, are fallible at times.

David

The line carried on the nearest brick arched bridge is the line from Soho East Junction to Perry Bar West Junction. The overbridge seen in the distance through the arch is the GWR line between Birmingham Snow Hill and Wolverhampton LL. Going to the right, down the line going over the arched bridge, after about 200yds the line crosses over the GWR line and about another 400yds beyond that is the site of Soho Road station, also the site of Soho Road Junction, where a spur led down to Soho Pool. I worked over the line from Soho to Perry Bar, first with the Tanks trains from Albion and then steel trains from Wolverhampton Steel terminal. It being used to complete the loop back to Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury via Bescot, having taken the direct route from Wolverhampton with the incoming trains. The nearest photo I took to the location, seen below, was at Soho North Junction, the points being set to head around to the left towards Soho East.

26852970335_90ae047b06_b.jpgA25-(JC6-082) by Paul James, on Flickr

Paul J.

Edited to correct some awful grammer.

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos of the Tanfield Railway. It has a good stud of locomotives which are a delight to see. More please.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

There will be some more over the next few days.

David

• RMweb Premium

The line carried on the nearest brick arched bridge is the line from Soho East Junction to Perry Bar West Junction. The overbridge seen in the distance through the arch is the GWR line between Birmingham Snow Hill and Wolverhampton LL. Going to the right, down the line going over the arched bridge, after about 200yds the line crosses over the GWR line and about another 400yds beyond that is the site of Soho Road station, also the site of Soho Road Junction, where a spur led down to Soho Pool.

Paul J.

That link line was quite late in coming as the Grand Junction was built in 1837 and the Stour Valley in 1852.

The Soho - Perry Barr line was not built until 1887.

Keith