Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Two batches in quick succession today.

First some more Tanfield photos.  I wonder how many stations have grass platforms?

post-5613-0-93434100-1482938626_thumb.jpg

Tanfield Railway Andrews House 10th Sept 2011 DSC_5339

post-5613-0-97716300-1482938633_thumb.jpg

Tanfield Railway Andrews House 10th Sept 2011 DSC_5341

post-5613-0-28933700-1482938639_thumb.jpg

Tanfield Railway Andrews House 10th Sept 2011 DSC_5343

post-5613-0-55350900-1482938648_thumb.jpg

Tanfield Railway Causey Arch 10th Sept 2011 DSC_5325

post-5613-0-01254100-1482938655_thumb.jpg

Tanfield Railway Causey Arch 10th Sept 2011 DSC_5333

David

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

More smashing shots - but afraid the DMU gremlins have got at the captions!

J2627 is a Derby 116 suburban unit - window layout on side and first class accommodation in centre car are main clues - and C1527 is a 117 or 118 - I suspect the latter, BRCW, due to curved top on headcode box

Cheers

Phil

Edit - please see Keefer's post below, set number says its a 117, many thanks!

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What lovely photos of the Tanfield Railway today, it is good that old carriage bodies have been given new lives on chassis like, for example, Mk1 CCT's.

Then there are a great set of GWR photos, with, in J2627, a good view from behind, of a GW banner repeater signal.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

More smashing shots - but afraid the DMU gremlins have got at the captions!

J2627 is a Derby 116 suburban unit - window layout on side and first class accommodation in centre car are main clues - and C1527 is a 117 or 118 - I suspect the latter, BRCW, due to curved top on headcode box

Cheers

Phil

i think it's a 117 phil, http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-117/set-numbers gives (from 1972) B 408 - 51346, 59498, 51388

There is a curve there, possibly the roof curve but the front of the headcode box is straight

It doesn't surprise me at all that I've got them wrong (again).  I thought they probably were wrong when I posted them but wasn't sure what they really were either.

Captions now amended.

David.

• RMweb Premium

"I wonder how many stations have grass platforms?"

Lots, but usually not the bits passengers use, merely the ends where the trains don't stop and no maintenance is done any more, though often weeds rather than what one would normally call grass.

I didn't know you recognised the existence of God's Wonderful Railway. I love the first one, "train in landscape"!

I assume some colour problems with C1527. Or can I have ballast in a nice shade of girly pink on my layout?

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

i think it's a 117 phil, http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-117/set-numbers gives (from 1972) B 408 - 51346, 59498, 51388

There is a curve there, possibly the roof curve but the front of the headcode box is straight

Thanks Keefer - I did have a good squint , happy to stand corrected!

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Class 117s and 116 118s before the class 117 refurbishment programme could be told apart by the lack of marker lights below the driver and secondman's cab windscreens on the Pressed Steel built coaches.

The above is not fool proof, there has been discussion on here before where it was stated that the first few 117s had the lights or the first few 116 118s didn't have them (or both) but my memory of which way round it was is lacking and where it was discussed.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

The second batch of photos are around the GWR.

attachicon.gifHall Green Cloucester dmu Hereford to Birmingham April 71 J2627.jpg

Hall Green Class 116 dmu Hereford to Birmingham April 71 J2627

David

Sorry David but the DMU in photo J2627 is not a Hereford-Birmingham service. 3 reasons. 

1- Its a Class 116 and in the early 70's would not have had gangways, so wouldn't have been allowed through Ledbury tunnel.

2- If it's the Hall Green to the south east of Birmingham, then Hereford services would not have run through there.

3- The destination panel has Birmingham Moor Street as a destination, which Hereford trains didn't run to in the diesel era.

More than likely a Stratford-Birmingham service.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

"I wonder how many stations have grass platforms?"

Lots, but usually not the bits passengers use, merely the ends where the trains don't stop and no maintenance is done any more, though often weeds rather than what one would normally call grass.

I didn't know you recognised the existence of God's Wonderful Railway. I love the first one, "train in landscape"!

I assume some colour problems with C1527. Or can I have ballast in a nice shade of girly pink on my layout?

Jonathan

At the Tanfield Railway even the bits of platforms passengers use are grass at two stations.

C1527.  The ballast seems to have been a pale browny grey from one of the other photos I took that day.

From time to time photos do have colour problems.  At one time I kept them in some slide boxes sold by Boots which had a smoky grey clear plastic lid.  They were kept stacked on top of each other but the slides near the ends of the boxes received a lot of light over the years and suffered a lot of colour change.  In some cases the top half of the slide had become bright orange.

David

• RMweb Gold

Sorry David but the DMU in photo J2627 is not a Hereford-Birmingham service. 3 reasons. 

1- Its a Class 116 and in the early 70's would not have had gangways, so wouldn't have been allowed through Ledbury tunnel.

2- If it's the Hall Green to the south east of Birmingham, then Hereford services would not have run through there.

3- The destination panel has Birmingham Moor Street as a destination, which Hereford trains didn't run to in the diesel era.

More than likely a Stratford-Birmingham service.

Paul J.

Paul,

Many thanks for the information.  It's one of Dad's photos, I've no idea where he got the information from.  Once again I was in Manchester at the time.

David

• RMweb Premium

Don't I know. I have scanned all my family slides and some makes have had terrible colour shift, though usually to the blue/green. And I have recently scanned several hundred for my sister in law and again one make has changed a lot over the years though others seem fine.

I knew what you meant about grass platforms. OK in dry weather! 

I am sure the Colonel Stephens lines would have had a few.

Thanks again for all the photos. So many scenes it would be great (but impossible) to model.

Jonathan

j1791 seems to have a 46 that has toasted itself recently, notice that the bodyside from the large grill back to the cab appears to be black. Does anyone actually know if this is the case?

Lovely set of photos again David. Thank you.

Andy G

The black staining on the bodyside is fuel oil, a common sight on Peaks at onetime when someone has overfilled the tanks. The fuel tanks are located just behind no1 cab, with two vents just behind the cab. If the oil cooler goes on a Peak it will trow  the gunge out at sole bar level just below the radiator grill.

Al Taylor

Edited by 45125

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget the other key statistic - 1.3m views which must be very close to the most read thread on RMweb. I'm happy to keep checking in as long as you still have the urge to keep posting the pictures.

I'll pass on the Deltic IDs today, but C1012 has a maroon coach in the formation in July 1972.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the Tanfield Railway photo's. The Swayfield photo's are superb, and so nostalgic. Seeing Deltics running at high speed is a great thing which I never tire of.

The statistics are very interesting, and I can say now that I too will not get bored with your photos! Please keep them coming.

With warmest regards,

Rob.