Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

I just would like to add my belated congratulations on reaching your 400th page of these lovely photo's. You really have accomplished something most unique, and very special. I hope that the photo's will continue for at least another 400 pages. Well done, Dave.

Very best regards,

Rob.

Thanks very much Rob.

I have to admit that I hadn't noticed the page number until you mentioned it!

David

Yes Dave let me add my congratulations, not only to you, but all the folk, that then chip in to make the whole thread so entertaining.

All the best Kevin.

And that should be an LMS diesel!! :-)

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photos - you can't have too many photos of the ECML. The last one is a most atmospheric and wintry shot of a traditional parcels train hauled by a 31. You don't have them like that anymore.

That is some load for a mere class 31, looks to be approaching twenty vehicles.

Just wondered, are C2286 and C3210 taken from the same vantage point, but with different length lenses?

Dave

• RMweb Gold

That is some load for a mere class 31, looks to be approaching twenty vehicles.

Just wondered, are C2286 and C3210 taken from the same vantage point, but with different length lenses?

Dave

I think C2286 is taken with a 135mm lens, C3120 is with a 55mm lens on 35mm film.  At that time the only other lens I often used for railway photography was a 35mm.  I did take a few photos with a 400 mm lens.

The 135 mm and 35mm were Zeiss lenses with a Pentax screw thread , the 55mm was a Pentax lens with a f1.8 maximum aperture.

The camera was  Pentax Spotmatic, the film was probably AgfaCT18 (50ISO).

They are both taken from the same bridge.

David

The adjacent pictures of D9007 "Pinza" in J1782 (Jul 69) & the class 46 'Peak' on the Toleman cartics in J2664 (May 71) just reminded me of the 23rd October 1971 when I recorded 9012 "Crepello" on 4Z03 (cartics) not far from the same location.

Other than on a couple of short distance test trains, consisting of VanFits, that was one of only two occasions in fifteen years when I actually saw the very rare occurrence of a Deltic working freight (the other was around the same period, when I observed one on an up Freightliner at about 21:40 one night, just as it was almost dark).

• RMweb Gold

The adjacent pictures of D9007 "Pinza" in J1782 (Jul 69) & the class 46 'Peak' on the Toleman cartics in J2664 (May 71) just reminded me of the 23rd October 1971 when I recorded 9012 "Crepello" on 4Z03 (cartics) not far from the same location.

Other than on a couple of short distance test trains, consisting of VanFits, that was one of only two occasions in fifteen years when I actually saw the very rare occurrence of a Deltic working freight (the other was around the same period, when I observed one on an up Freightliner at about 21:40 one night, just as it was almost dark).

I never saw one on freight, the nearest I got to that was arriving at Doncaster one sunday and finding D9000, (I think), shunting the carriage works sidings, it was suitably photographed.

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Edinburgh photos. The track layout in Princes Street Gardens has had some changes over the years, going by photos C1300, and C9012. A crossover had been removed with one laid down on the left.

It's nice to see a class 120 in C8041, at Haymarket. I know that some were used on the Royal Deeside line to Ballater in its last year's of use.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I never saw one on freight, the nearest I got to that was arriving at Doncaster one sunday and finding D9000, (I think), shunting the carriage works sidings, it was suitably photographed.

Well reported at the time, regulars on the Cliffe Uddingston Cemflos north of York as they were taken off their rostered passenger workings due to boiler troubles. That must have made it the winter of 63. 

• RMweb Premium

C1297 I remember from your Flickr site, Dave.

I found 1973-4 ScR carriage workings on the yahoo LHCS group site. 1S39 is the 11.20 manchester-edinburgh (friday/saturday only) running between 22nd. june - 1st. september. booked formation BSK,TSO,SK,SK,CK,SK,SK,BSK

Abdn-Edin trains, if they displayed a full headcode would be 1Gxx and would usually be on the 'north' lines (those on the right of the pic).

1Sxx were inter-regionals to the ScR and if coming from the Carstairs direction, would tend to be on the 'south' lines as shown

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

C1297 I remember from your Flickr site, Dave.

I found 1973-4 ScR carriage workings on the yahoo LHCS group site. 1S39 is the 11.20 manchester-edinburgh (friday/saturday only) running between 22nd. june - 1st. september. booked formation BSK,TSO,SK,SK,CK,SK,SK,BSK

Abdn-Edin trains, if they displayed a full headcode would be 1Gxx and would usually be on the 'north' lines (those on the right of the pic).

1Sxx were inter-regionals to the ScR and if coming from the Carstairs direction, would tend to be on the 'south' lines as shown

Thanks very much, I knew the information was somewhere but I couldn't find it in my notes, I never thought of checking my flickr photos.

David

• Like 1

Nice to see the Swindon Cross-Country unit in C8041 with a traditional 592xx series centre car (originally with miniature buffet). Most of the remaining sets had had them replaced with spare class 101 cars by 1986, to increase seating capacity by eliminating the wasted buffet space.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like what is a most interesting collection of photos. I think, from enlarging the photo, that the van in J2986, cannot have been a meat van, there is no sign of anymore end vents other than the top one.

The former railway in J1668 and J1691 is, as stated, so sad. No more trains to run over that line.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

A couple of stories in response to your picture of Upper Broughton on the Melton to Nottingham line.

In the late 60s friends and I often used to eat at The Schooner restaurant (Later it became The Pullman) which used the old station building at Widmerpool just up the line. The line was still open to normal traffic in the early days (mid to late 60s) and part of the restaurant was built out over the old up platform. Occasionally a waiter would ring a brass bell and those in the know would put down their knives and forks and hold the table as a long iron ore train would hammer through with the old 16Tonners banging away just a few feet from the diners.

After conversion of the line to the test track they awaited testing of the APT with some trepidation wondering what effect high speed might have. The first train duly ran but actually pulled up in the platform. A guy got off the train and entered the restaurant, bought some cigarettes and reboarded and off it went. The local paper printed the story and it used to be displayed in a frame just inside the door. I can't vouch for the truth of it though!

Last time I went that way the place was closed.

• Like 2

I'd hazard a guess that J1668 is actually Thorpe By Water, the next crossing along towards Rugby. The building to the left is brick and Harringworth Viaduct can be seen in the background, which all fits with it being Thorpe. Interestingly though the roadway doesn't look that wide, even for a B road.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Ffestiniog photo's. In C4679, I see the diesel hauled train - I did not realise that some services were diesel hauled. The WCML photo's are an excellent set of photo's which show that it has changed so much now that Voyagers and Pendolinos are in charge of the majority of the passenger services.

With warmest regards,

Rob.