Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Great pictures David, what were the letters on the signals and speed signs for

There were 5 routes in and out of certain platforms to the west side of the station, (as opposed to later years when letters indicated the lines through the tunnels), and the letter after the speed tells you say, 8 and a 15C, that 8 would be max speed (8MPH) for all routes except C which would have a maximum speed of 15MPH. I have a booklet describing the resignalling of Kings Cross in LNER days, and explains the theory behind how the signalling works. It can be found here https://flic.kr/s/aHskvC1YEk

It takes some understanding, but will give you some ideas behind how it all worked, once you've read it a few times.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Paul, it looks really complicated but I've been told once you got used to it all it wasn't too bad. Don't know i you remember Dave Thompson and Mick Kassa but the both told me that

C4896 shows a 43xxx power car with an SC prefix. These must have been very short-lived.

I may have seen one, but I only remember E prefixes at Kings Cross.

Coincidentally, I recently noticed an HST power car with an 'SC' prefix on one of the few photos I took in the '70s that came out half-decent - SC43086, part of set 254 016 (Doncaster, 21st July 1979).

post-6843-0-30740000-1493061085_thumb.jpg

Kevin

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What excellent photo's of Kings Cross and Huntingdon. So nostalgic, and it is good seeing the HST's and Kings Cross in photo's J6047 and C4896. Icon trains in an iconic station. In J2456, the DMU is comprised of two Cravens class 105's. A typical outer suburban formation in those days outside of the paek periods.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

C4896 shows a 43xxx power car with an SC prefix. These must have been very short-lived.

I may have seen one, but I only remember E prefixes at Kings Cross.

All the EC allocated power cars carried SC from almost new until the regional prefixes vanished on power cars on the ECML.

Thanks for that Paul, it looks really complicated but I've been told once you got used to it all it wasn't too bad. Don't know i you remember Dave Thompson and Mick Kassa but the both told me that

I vaguely remember Dave Thompson, but Mick Kassa doesn't ring any bells, although a trawl through my old diaries might prove otherwise. By the time i worked there, 1979-84, he might of been in one of the electric links, and we DA's very rarely worked with drivers in those links.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Dave left in the late 80s to move to Norwich he's about 68 now. Mick is a couple of years older and after moving from the Cross via the southern and broad Street also ended up at Norwich

Dave also married the daughter of an older top shed driver, apparently he went round to this chaps house to fix his telly and met Pauline.

I told Dave it was a bit much if he couldn't pay to take his daughter....

Huntingdon dmu up pass Nov 70 J2456

I love these stand off shots. This looks like Blacklands taken from the road towards Offord.

Correct LNERGE - as you say, J2456 is taken from the B1043 just on the outskirts of Offord (Cluny). As we speak, the new A14 is being constructed, and will obliterate this view. :(

C2065 might be the 1435 (SX) Newcastle-King's Cross via Leeds, which was booked as BFK, BFK, FO, RUO, RB, SO, SO, SO, SO(Fridays only). Visible stock matches the carriage workings. The same set worked the Sunday 1345 from Newcastle, with additional seconds and a BSO on the rear. The set only had a down working on Saturdays.

4373868428_7b5c453399_z.jpg?zz=147428_York_1435-Newc-KX_12-6-75 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Edited by robertcwp
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

J706, the DMU is a 110. It has sad eyed tops to the windscreens and a headcode box.

Thanks Clive.

I don't think I'll ever get dmus right.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo's of York. The first photo' of K1 62026 is so redolent of that age, when there was still regular steam on BR. It may well be that the class 110, in J706, was running in place of an NER class 104 4-car unit, I believe that happened from time to time.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

David, I've just come across your picture (above) of Staythorpe power station's ash plant, from a post last year, whilst researching my new layout - Staythorpe Crossing.  I have managed to find a few photos of Staythorpe in the 1970s and thought I'd share them with you.  I thought you and highpeakman, among others, might be interested, so, without plugging my own thread - please see post #9 on the first page: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119947-staythorpe-crossing-nottingham-to-lincoln-line-circa-1980/

I thoroughly enjoy your thread and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your collection.

Hope you find the photos interesting.

Cheers Andy.

Edited by theplasticbrummy

• RMweb Gold

David, I've just come across your picture (above) of Staythorpe power station's ash plant, from a post last year, whilst researching my new layout - Staythorpe Crossing.  I have managed to find a few photos of Staythorpe in the 1970s and thought I'd share them with you.  I thought you and highpeakman, among others, might be interested, so, without plugging my own thread - please see post #9 on the first page: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119947-staythorpe-crossing-nottingham-to-lincoln-line-circa-1980/

I thoroughly enjoy your thread and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your collection.

Hope you find the photos interesting.

Cheers Andy.

Andy,

Many thanks for your very kind comment about the photos.  I've just been looking at your thread and found the photos fascinating, as well as the layout.

David

Edited by DaveF

Blyth and Tyne next, with photos at South Newsham, Plessey Road (Blyth) and Bedlington.

attachicon.gifea Bedlington South 37410 alumina North Blyth to Fort William 29th Dec 97 C23302.jpg

Bedlington South 37410 alumina North Blyth to Fort William 29th Dec 97 C23302

David

With Dave's permission, I have posted the photo on the Facebook "Signalboxes and Signalling" group here https://www.facebook.com/groups/168118503304604/permalink/1284970358286074/

The only conclusion that came from there is that the situation in the photo is actually a failure.  The disc should not be off at the same time as the main signal.

Which is a bit disappointing, I was hoping for confirmation of an unusual signalling set-up, possibly in the "prototype-for-everything" category...

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos of the line from Nottingham towards Lincoln. I particularly like the last one of the class 25/3. I think the number might end in a 3. But I'm not sure what the two numbers before it are.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi, Dave. I like the photos of the line from Nottingham towards Lincoln. I particularly like the last one of the class 25/3. I think the number might end in a 3. But I'm not sure what the two numbers before it are.

My first impression was that it was 25 243 - but that was a class 25/2 and one of the Darlington batch, built to original design with bodyside grilles and a small central windscreen (and non-existent connecting doors). It isn't fully clear, even at the maximum resolution that I could get, but I wonder if it is 25 248 (the first of the 25/3s)? It certainly looks as though it is 25 24-something (to me - BICBW).

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful photos as always Dave

Any company looking to build a model class 120 would find a rich vein of reference material on here (hint hint...)

Phil