Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Once again some Tanfield Railway photos to start with.

A mix of trains and visitors today.

post-5613-0-48523100-1492784913_thumb.jpg

BSC_3388 Andrews House Hawthorn Leslie 2 17th April 2017

post-5613-0-78769600-1492784922_thumb.jpg

BSC_3391 Andrews House Hawthorn Leslie 2 17th April 2017

post-5613-0-14019100-1492784928_thumb.jpg

BSC_3393 Andrews House 17th April 2017

post-5613-0-21262500-1492784932_thumb.jpg

BSC_3394 Andrews House 17th April 2017

post-5613-0-39352000-1492784938_thumb.jpg

BSC_3395 Andrews House 17th April 2017

David

• Like 14

Great B&T pics. Thanks for sharing Dave. 

South Newsham signal box is still intact and a good location for catching a GBRf 66 running around the saturday morning 6S45 North Blyth - Fort William  Alcan  train

post-7898-0-13224000-1492790095_thumb.jpg.

• Like 14

Blyth and Tyne next, with photos at South Newsham, Plessey Road (Blyth) and Bedlington.

attachicon.gifea Bedlington South 37410 alumina North Blyth to Fort William 29th Dec 97 C23302.jpg

Bedlington South 37410 alumina North Blyth to Fort William 29th Dec 97 C23302

Is that "Opposing locking omitted" between the disc signal and the main signal?  I've never come across that before, how common is it?

Is that "Opposing locking omitted" between the disc signal and the main signal?  I've never come across that before, how common is it?

The inlet and outlet signals could be worked from one lever. I can find couple of places off the top of my head and more if i had to look. St Ives (Hunts) and Brandon spring immediately to mind.

Steel-making lasted until early 1980, so it looks as though they could have lasted until the end. Might the short rake be down to vehicles coming from, or going to, maintenance? The ones I saw at Toton were in longer rakes, albeit with BR minerals mixed in,

Ironmaking at Corby finally ceased in April 1980 but coal movements to feed the coke ovens finished on the Friday prior to Christmas 1979 when the Christmas shutdown started. The national steel strike began on 2 Jan stranding rakes of wagons at Toton and at the Notts/ Derbys collieries. No idea what happened to that coal that was loaded, when the strike was over, production used up stocks of coal on-site before ironmaking ceased and although coking continued to produce gas for the tube works furnaces, no further coal was delivered.

The wagons were disposed of for scrap, some broken on site by Thos W Ward, the remainder went to scrapyards elsewhere.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the latest photos of the Tanfield Railway.

And the Blyth and Tyne Railway photo's are excellent too. I particularly like the one of the class 37, 37 199, in C6768. It's a great view of the 37.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Tanfield Railway photo's, and it's a shame they are the last ones.

The Harrogate photos are excellent, and so nostalgic. The first one is a really great example of a big diesel loco on a one vehicle train - the ex-LMS BG. So easy to model. It's a pleasure to see those B1's working on the Harrogate portion of the Kings Cross express passenger trains.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

The 'tram' was from the Mumbles Railway, I believe; the oldest passenger railway in the world.  Scandalously, at the end of the 1950s, the line (which ran between Swansea and Mumbles) was taken over by the local bus company and closed. Supposedly, the route was to be converted to a 'busway', but apart from a very small length at Oystermouth, this was never done. Today, the Mumbles Road is packed solid with traffic, whilst the route of the railway lies, more-or-less, idle alongside.

I was taken on the Railway but once, by my great-aunt Mary, just before it closed forever; I would have been perhaps five years old.

The tram was later destroyed by fire, I believe.

• Like 1

Today, the Mumbles Road is packed solid with traffic, whilst the route of the railway lies, more-or-less, idle alongside.

Not quite idle, it is part of the Wales Coast Path, and indeed is a lovely cycle route around the old route. Though they have totally wasted the footbridge from by the Brangwyn Hall by just "dumping" it opposite the Rec Gound car park. I still can't believe I didn't bother getting any photos when they lifted it though... it might have been too dark for my camera.

They may also still run one of those land train things. I know they were popular when they did run them.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's of the Middleton Railway, with a very simplistic NER livery on 1310. And a shame to see the tram looking so derelict. A shame it got burnt, and was not able to be restored to it's former glory.

The L.T.& S.R. photo's again show the way the railway carried passengers in big numbers in the class 302 EMU's.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Not quite idle, it is part of the Wales Coast Path, and indeed is a lovely cycle route around the old route. Though they have totally wasted the footbridge from by the Brangwyn Hall by just "dumping" it opposite the Rec Gound car park. I still can't believe I didn't bother getting any photos when they lifted it though... it might have been too dark for my camera.

They may also still run one of those land train things. I know they were popular when they did run them.

By idle, I meant it was neither dedicated bus-way nor tramway: the latter, rebuilt to modern standards, would be an improvement on the road congestion along Mumbles Road.

Is the 'Floral Clock' still near the site of the old footbridge? A friend's uncle used to be the gardener responsible for it.

Visits to Kings Cross and Huntingdon today.

Kings Cross Class 31s, Class 47 Sept 74 J4032

Put a kink in the track like than on your model of a London termini and you'll get told you can't lay track.

Huntingdon dmu up pass Nov 70 J2456

I love these stand off shots. This looks like Blacklands taken from the road towards Offord.

Huntingdon Class 47 up ex pass June 75 C2065

Super picture glad you took it.

Edited by LNERGE

that kink, you expect to see them on branch lines and sidings but its very surprising to see it in somewhere like Kings Cross

It is an insulated joint so may be a bit weaker than a normal fishplate. The two part depression bar is interesting. The short bit in in 65 track circuit and the long bit in 66A