Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Ii looks like an RKB, so would only be branded Buffet.

Correct, RKB and lettered simply buffet because there was no restaurant section.

Incidentally, the ER tended to mark its RB cars simply as 'Buffet' too, possibly because they often ran with a separate car for dining.

LMR:

27625665120_515d89cf76_z.jpgM1657 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

ER:

15588173800_efe74a8dec_z.jpgE1691_Colchester_13-4-82 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Shildon photos. Especially the first one of Morayshire. I wish it was in steam, it's a personal favourite.

The photos of Radcliffe on Trent are great, and show BR blue days at their best. And that misty clas 25 would make a great painting.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

J5986 is a cracker for including a dia.30 Griddle car as late as '78 -  my 1979 Platform 5 book only has E1102 left in service.

The dia.31 Griddles (1103-5) in Scotland lasted longer i think, but mainly on ScR internal services

EDIT: by chance i found a pic showing the other side of E1102, still in service in april 1980: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jncarter1962/7980441796/in/album-72157626961879985/

Edited by keefer

Another cracking set of photos David, but there are of the ECML. Thank you again for sharing. As Swayfield seems to feature a lot in your photos, along with the High Dyke/Stoke Tunnel area, so I have dug out my old route maps from my time at Kings Cross, (1979-84), and share them with you below. It just so happens they take up from the last ones i copied and posted from Biggleswade to Connington, and cover from Connington to Grantham.

ECML, 70-77.5 MP. Connington to Peterborough New England

post-7146-0-49531100-1502121813_thumb.jpg

ECML, 77.5-88 MP. Peterborough New England to Essendine.

post-7146-0-04344100-1502121821_thumb.jpg

ECML, 88-99 MP. Essendine to Stoke. By my calculation Swayfield is around the 95mp. The 75mph restriction on the slows at 96-7mp is the site of Corby Glen station.

post-7146-0-46046400-1502121829_thumb.jpg

ECML. 99-106.25 MP. Stoke to Grantham, Nottingham Branch Junction.

post-7146-0-58112400-1502121835_thumb.jpg

As I intend to keep on scanning my route maps, I'll post them on here with Davids permission. It would be good to put them all together in sequence in one post, only I'm not sure which would be the best forum to do this. Any suggestions welcome as to which forum would be the best to post to start the topic for them?

Paul J.

• Like 8

J5986 is a cracker for including a dia.30 Griddle car as late as '78 -  my 1979 Platform 5 book only has E1102 left in service.

The dia.31 Griddles (1103-5) in Scotland lasted longer i think, but mainly on ScR internal services

EDIT: by chance i found a pic showing the other side of E1102, still in service in april 1980: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jncarter1962/7980441796/in/album-72157626961879985/

E1102 had air brakes and electric heating which possibly contributed towards its survival in service that late.

• RMweb Gold

Another cracking set of photos David, but there are of the ECML. Thank you again for sharing. As Swayfield seems to feature a lot in your photos, along with the High Dyke/Stoke Tunnel area, so I have dug out my old route maps from my time at Kings Cross, (1979-84), and share them with you below. It just so happens they take up from the last ones i copied and posted from Biggleswade to Connington, and cover from Connington to Grantham.

As I intend to keep on scanning my route maps, I'll post them on here with Davids permission. It would be good to put them all together in sequence in one post, only I'm not sure which would be the best forum to do this. Any suggestions welcome as to which forum would be the best to post to start the topic for them?

Paul J.

Paul,

I'm perfectly happy for you to post the relevant ones here.

If you want a thread on them, which I think would be very useful, then I would suggest you put it in:

Prototype:  UK Prototype Discussions (not questions) .

That is where my photo threads are placed.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Swayfield photos. I see the Hull service, in J3112, is formed almost entirely of early MkII's. I thought most of the Hull services were mainly Mk1 stock. Perhaps the introduction of MkIId stock had enabled those early MkII's to be cascaded to lesser services.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I'm just catching up on the last week's pictures after being away (and I don't tend to bother viewing the thread because you don't get the full impact of the shots on a smartphone!). I was itching to get back and up to date.

One observation - J4182 can't be 37 258 as it is one of the first series (37 001 - 119) - split headcode boxes. I'm afraid that I can't/daren't offer an alternative, though, as it's not quite sharp enough when zoomed.

• RMweb Gold

J5986 from the formation was the Friday 08:53 Bradford-KX (which had a 6th TSO). The last 4 coaches started from Halifax at 08:40 and were attached at Wakefield.

Mark,

Thanks once again.

When I looked at the image I thought the notes saying it was from Hull seemed wrong.

David

• RMweb Gold

Radcliffe on Trent 20135 and ano Derby to Skegness Aug 77 J5746

The Jolly Fisherman services for August 1977 are pretty well recorded. The only time 20135 worked was on Thursday 4th, with 20068 on the 09:20 Derby - Skegness, and the 19:20 return.

• RMweb Gold

The Jolly Fisherman services for August 1977 are pretty well recorded. The only time 20135 worked was on Thursday 4th, with 20068 on the 09:20 Derby - Skegness, and the 19:20 return.

Thanks very much for the details.  I have checked dad's slide catalogue and that date would be right, it was one of the first photos he took that August.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Ratcliffe on Soar photos. The Peaks, as always, make a most majestic sight at the head of those expresses. It's a pity we've since gone backwards with inferior units having taken their place.

In J4154, the Peak is well framed by those two trees.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The second set are photos again taken around Radcliffe on Trent which as usual is between Grantham and Nottingham.  The dates range fro 1975 to 1978.

As Mum and Dad lived there for several years I have a lot of photos taken there to work through.

attachicon.gifRadcliffe on Trent Class 114 Grantham to Nottingham Mar 75 J4173.jpg

Radcliffe on Trent Class 114 Grantham to Nottingham Mar 75 J4173

attachicon.gifRadcliffe on Trent 37258 Parkeston Quay to Manchester Mar 75 J4182.jpg

Radcliffe on Trent 37258 Parkeston Quay to Manchester Mar 75 J4182

attachicon.gifRadcliffe on Trent 20135 and ano Derby to Skegness Aug 77 J5746.jpg

attachicon.gifRadcliffe on Trent 25122 shunting oil tanks Feb 78 C3677.jpg

Radcliffe on Trent 25122 shunting oil tanks Feb 78 C3677   This is probably better described as Rectory Junction, which is on the other side of the Trent from Radcliffe on Trent.  The tankers were being shunted at the Colwick oil terminal.  The view is taken looking west towards Rectory Junction.

attachicon.gifRadcliffe on Trent 47011 Parkeston Quay to Manchester Aug 78 C4100.jpg

Radcliffe on Trent 47011 Parkeston Quay to Manchester Aug 78 C4100

David

J4182

Never knew 37258 was a split headcode 37

• RMweb Gold

J4182

Never knew 37258 was a split headcode 37

It's quite possible the number is wrong in Dad's notes - he often tried to take the number off the slide, it may be 370xx.  I certainly can't read it on the scan.

It's one of the problems of working on old photos - as all caption writers know.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

J5991 cant be '099 as they didn't go that high; most likely 45104 (D59) The Royal Warwickshire Fusilier

Agree. It's definitely a 45/1 as you can see it is ETH fitted on the buffer beam.

Paul J.

Again I think it will be a slide where Dad had tried to read the number off the slide having not made a note at the time - and if he did make a note at the time he may have got it wrong.  I know how hard it is both to take a photo and read the number correctly as a train goes by.

I have amended to caption to 45104?.

David