Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

1E26 was the 14:05 St Pancras-Sheffield

J4154 looks like 1C76 15:54 Derby-St Pancras, which would fit in with the above although the formation doesn't match the CWN. However many MML formations were amended in Jan 1975.

J4904 from the formation was possibly the 13:05 St Pancras-Sheffield

J5301 from the formation was the 16:40SX St Pancras-Nottingham. Note the RMB which was unusual for the MML.

• RMweb Gold

As already mentioned twice the loco is not 37258. From the full-size photo it is 3709x and doubling the image width the best bet is probably 37092.

Thank you for taking the time to work out the most likely number.

I know it has already been mentioned twice, and I had already acknowledged it was not 37258 in my post #10844.

I had not altered the caption on the image in the original post as I did not have time to have another look in detail at the scan earlier this evening.

David

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps it is time I talked about captions once again.

I take the information, as many of you know, from the catalogues written by myself and Dad when our slides came back from the film processor.  

When we took photos we usually made a note of the place, loco class, train identity (if we knew it) and date - usually the month and year, sometimes the actual day of the month.

If I had seen the loco number clearly when I took the photo I often wrote it down, Dad sometimes did.

At any stage of captioning errors can occur.

I may have written down the wrong place name, especially when visiting an unfamiliar location.  There is also the problem in some places, where there is no nearby village or suitable railway location as to what to call a location.

As for loco numbers if I know the number I include it, if I think it may be right I include it.  Sometimes I copy the number from the catalogues without having a good think as to whether the number fits the appearance of the loco - headcode box type etc.

If I am not reasonably sure I usually do not include the number in the caption.

Fortunately there are a number of people here on RMWeb who give generously of their time in identifying locos and trains where I am unsure of them or have got them wrong.  When these photos were taken working timetables were not available so both Dad and I had to try to work out what trains we thought we had seen by trying to estimate likely passing times of trains at our locations.

Eventually I then change the captions.  However, that can not always be done straight away.   For various reasons my time is very limited at present, so I may quickly read a post and click "thanks" but simply do not have time to make alterations to captions straight away.

I am afraid you will all have to be patient - and my lack of time will probably become worse not better over the coming months.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

As already mentioned twice the loco is not 37258. From the full-size photo it is 3709x and doubling the image width the best bet is probably 37092.

At that time the boat train almost solidly produced a Stratford or March 37 (later on, Stratford 47s - which continued when it became "The European").

From your image I'd agree that it's definitely a 37 09x series loco. However, the only loco of that batch that was based on the GE at that time was 37 090 (although later 37 096 and 099 had spells at March). 092 was a North East loco and so would have been a very unusual appearance on the diagram, as they were very infrequent visitors to East Anglia.

Don't worry about the very occasional caption issue Dave F, the time and effort you have gone to, both in taking the photos all those years ago and in posting them now, is very much appreciated.

• Agree 1

The Identification Confirmation Game is an added bonus to these fabulous portraits mate. It's played regularly on other parts of this forum and appears to be a speciality if those interested in WR hydraulics! Keep em' coming. It's nice to see the experts figuring stuff out and completing the picture (if it needs it!)

Regards

Guy

It can only be one 37092-95 as these are all RSH locos (note the cant rail grills). Apart from 37095 which was a Tinsley loco at the time all the others are Thornaby locos and might not even have a working boiler.

Hi

Looks like Modern Image Broad Gauge, or is that just wishful thinking Western Glory?

:no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

Kevin

I don't think anyone will work the numbers of the Class 101 near Bardon Mill.

David

I suspect you're correct, but, I can tell you that the 'all blue' car is not a 101 :)

Can't resolve it large enough on the device I'm using to be any more specific than that - sorry!

• RMweb Gold

C6096: note the Hawkesworth coach in use as a Mess Van with the cranes. Any idea which day that was? We had our 'wedding breakfast' on July 4th 1983 in Corbridge, and it was blue skies and boiling hot.

Probably either Saturday 9th or Saturday 16th July 83.

David

• RMweb Gold

I suspect you're correct, but, I can tell you that the 'all blue' car is not a 101 :)

Can't resolve it large enough on the device I'm using to be any more specific than that - sorry!

Thanks Andy,

I think it could be a 105, mixed pairs were not unknown on the line, I think I've probably got another photo with such a pair somewhere.

David

Thanks Andy,

I think it could be a 105, mixed pairs were not unknown on the line, I think I've probably got another photo with such a pair somewhere.

David

You're very welcome Dave, as others have said, 'guess the loco' is all part of the fun.

From the best resolution I can get at the mo, I too would go for it being a 105 :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photo's. That last one, on close examination, has a class 105 DTSL coupled to a class 101 DMBS. The three big windows between the two passenger doors are good clue, even at that distance. And I like the first photo' of 37 101 at Blaydon. It is very nostalgic.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Thank you for taking the time to work out the most likely number.

I know it has already been mentioned twice, and I had already acknowledged it was not 37258 in my post #10844.

I had not altered the caption on the image in the original post as I did not have time to have another look in detail at the scan earlier this evening.

David

Thank you for altering the caption for J4182. I apologise if I seemed to be impatient, the "mentioned twice" sentence was simply an attempt to acknowledge the earlier comments.

C6096 today is a classic case of a loco that cannot be identified because of BR's daft policy of renumbering at one end only and there must be dozens of similar examples in this topic by now.

Edited by Western Glory

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for altering the caption for J4182. I apologise if I seemed to be impatient, the "mentioned twice" sentence was simply an attempt to acknowledge the earlier comments.

C6096 today is a classic case of a loco that cannot be identified because of BR's daft policy of renumbering at one end only and there must be dozens of similar examples in this topic by now.

I agree about BR's daft policy - I could never understand why numbers were only at the left hand, it can hardly have saved much money.

More annoying to me is that back in the late 80s I threw away some of my notebooks, thinking I had written them all up neatly in my catalogues - I had forgotten that I hadn't always put the numbers in, they didn't always seem important at the time.  After all they were only photos of everyday locos, the locations were the most important thing to me then.

I suspect it may a Gateshead loco - but it looks remarkably clean. 

David

I had forgotten that I hadn't always put the numbers in, they didn't always seem important at the time.  After all they were only photos of everyday locos, the locations were the most important thing to me then.

They're not David, the pictures are the most important element, a number is but a number, we collected them as it was something to do.

Lots of people have records of when they saw locomotives, what coaches they were hauling and where they were destined, but it's pictures that bring the past to life - don't care if it is 37258/090 or 092.

• RMweb Gold

Corbridge Class 37 up pw train July 83 C6096 contains a Clarke Chapman 12t Twin Jib Crane probably from Low Fell.

Thanks very much,  I've added it to the caption.

David

C6096: note the Hawkesworth coach in use as a Mess Van with the cranes. Any idea which day that was? We had our 'wedding breakfast' on July 4th 1983 in Corbridge, and it was blue skies and boiling hot.

Is that a Hawkesworth?

Looking closely I'd have thought that was a Gresley.