Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Now we move to Gateshead to look at Tyneside Central freight depot in 1985.

attachicon.gifTyneside Central Freight depot 08384 1st Aug 85 C7007.jpg

Tyneside Central Freight depot 08384 1st Aug 85 C7007

Edited to change fright to freight in the first sentence.

David

I think it would it have been a couple of years early when I acted as the owner's (Barrett Properties) representative for the three office blocks in the background; my duties were not onerous, consisting of changing light-bulbs in common areas, signing the cleaners' job sheets, and listening to tenants' problems. I had an office overlooking TCFD, and no supervision- bliss! I drew up a lot of wagons using Weight Diagrams and photos, and even wrote a couple of articles on modelling modern freight stock for Railway Modeller. 

At the time, the view covered not only TCFD, but the car terminal and Redland Tile depots on the other side of the road from Gateshead towards Felling, with more distant views of the scrapyard where the line curved over towards the High Level Bridge.

Visible between the office blocks is the car park that featured in 'Get Carter'

• Like 1

Rocks by Rail, near Cottesmore today.

It wasn't called "Rocks by Rail" when these photos were taken.  Was it "Rutland Railway Museum"?

attachicon.gifCottesmore Avonside 2 Dora Hunslet Coal Products 6 Hunslet 24 Aug 83 C6170.jpg

Cottesmore Avonside 2 Dora Hunslet Coal Products 6 Hunslet 24 Aug 83 C6170

attachicon.gifCottesmore Yorkshire Engine Co 28 British Steel Scunthorpe Aug 83 C6173.jpg

Cottesmore Yorkshire Engine Co 28 British Steel Scunthorpe Aug 83 C6173

attachicon.gifCottesmore Peckett 8 and Barclay Aug 83 C6174.jpg

Cottesmore Peckett 8 and Barclay Aug 83 C6174

attachicon.gifCottesmore Barclay Salmon parts Peckett Elizabeth GER 6 wheel coach Aug 83 C6177.jpg

Cottesmore Barclay Salmon parts Peckett Elizabeth GER 6 wheel coach Aug 83 C6177

attachicon.gifCottesmore Manchester Ship Canal ex GWR brake van Aug 83 C6179.jpg

Cottesmore Manchester Ship Canal ex GWR brake van Aug 83 C6179

David

Were the Rutland RM pics taken at one of the special events they held in the early days?

We had an outing to one of them in August 83, the Hunslet 24 had been newly repainted and tidied up for display after went there from Corby where it had been in the care of Corby Model Railway Club since BSC disposed of it in the early 70s. Sadly the planned restoration at Cottesmore never took place, the condition of the loco and the complexities and cost of restoration in the oil burning condition it was acquired in or reverting it back to its original coal burning state, put the job beyond the finances of the fledgling museum.

It later went to Scunthorpe and was last heard of (in pieces IIRC) on the Swindon and Cricklade having travelled there via Lamport I believe.

• RMweb Gold

Were the Rutland RM pics taken at one of the special events they held in the early days?

We had an outing to one of them in August 83, the Hunslet 24 had been newly repainted and tidied up for display after went there from Corby where it had been in the care of Corby Model Railway Club since BSC disposed of it in the early 70s. Sadly the planned restoration at Cottesmore never took place, the condition of the loco and the complexities and cost of restoration in the oil burning condition it was acquired in or reverting it back to its original coal burning state, put the job beyond the finances of the fledgling museum.

It later went to Scunthorpe and was last heard of (in pieces IIRC) on the Swindon and Cricklade having travelled there via Lamport I believe.

The 24th of August 1983 was a Wednesday, so I suspect I just turned up to have a look round.  I  had dad with me (and probably Mum) as he was recovering from a heart attack and couldn't drive at the time.  I think I must have been visiting them while I was on holiday.

As far as I can work out there was nothing happening on the day, neither mine nor Dad's photos have people in them and nothing seems to have been working.

Dad knew some of the people there from his days at Sewstern, so he may have rung someone first to check we could go midweek.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Cottesmore photos. A great variety of stock to be seen. The GE coach, in C6177, is fascinating, and I wonder what it's like today.

The Tyneside Central freight depot photos are great, and show a good amount of detail. In C7008 you have a great view of 08384. And riding on one of the front footsteps is a shunter. I'm not sure if that is permitted anymore.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The 24th of August 1983 was a Wednesday, so I suspect I just turned up to have a look round.  I  had dad with me (and probably Mum) as he was recovering from a heart attack and couldn't drive at the time.  I think I must have been visiting them while I was on holiday.

As far as I can work out there was nothing happening on the day, neither mine nor Dad's photos have people in them and nothing seems to have been working.

Dad knew some of the people there from his days at Sewstern, so he may have rung someone first to check we could go midweek.

David

That figures, the event held that month was definitely a weekend job, probably the bank holiday. If I recall correctly, they had no light railway order until later, admission gave you day membership of the Society which allowed you to travel on the trains composed of brake vans. The platform built of sleepers and timber can be seen behind the Janus.

Mention of the GE coach reminded me of the ex Wisbech and Upwell bogie coach they had there, it can just be seen in the background of the shot of the Janus.

A little bit off topic and going back a couple of posts but is the track still being used at Trumpington? I only asked as I think that's where the park and ride to Cambridge is and I don't recall seeing any rail activity around there.

Steve.

The trackbed of the LNWR brach to Bletchley has been totally removed, from the points just south of Hills Road bridge. A new road (unguided) has been carved through the bridge for the busway, which starts just south of the bridge. This follows the formation under Long Road bridge, then turns left on a new bridge (unguided) to enter the massive Addenbrookes Hospital site. There are rumours of a new station here on the London route. Back to the busway - it also continues (not sure if guided or unguided) along the old rail route to the Park and Ride site just before the M11 junction. (I've never explored that bit since the busway was built).

On the London tracks, north of Long Road bridge (aka Trumpington SB), there is still a 3rd track (the Down Slow?) which continues to Hills Road. Cambridge station has been totally reworked. The old long platform 1/4 has been extended at either end. A new island platform (p7/8 either side) has been opened on the site of the former carriage sidings, between the original p1/4 and the goods avoiding lines (which have gone). Outside the station, the forecourt area is unrecognisable from the past with new roads, buildings, taxi ranks and bus stops. There is even a multi storey bicycle park!

Cambridge North has also opened, 3 platforms on the site of the former PW yard at Chesterton Junction. The St.Ives "Loop" has of course morphed into the main Misguided Busway, recently extended from Milton Rd (LC) to the new station.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Settle and Carlisle photo's. In particular J364 of Ribblehead Viaduct, with a class 4mt on a breakdown train. And Bittern makes a fine sight in the first photo'.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

J715 Is a 113 with the 4 panel headcodes, and is formed with 2 DMBS as two of the DMC had been withdrawn due to an accident and a fire.

Thanks Mark.

Why is it I can get steam loco classes right, many diesel locos right, even most emus right but I still cannot identify dmus?

I actually quite like dmus and I've ridden on them often enough so I ought to recognise them.  I've also photographed them a lot.

David

Great pics at a not often photographed location in Northumberland and certainly not a place you'd expect to see class 20s.

However, both were Haymarket locos in 1985 so were probably simply heading home.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Northumberland photos. C7097 is a great photo of those 20's, 20009 and 20029, and in C6826, there is a good view of 56102 in a nicely weathered condition.

The first photo of that Deltic is, on enlarging it, just a bit too grainy to make much of the nameplate out. It could be 55019. It's the most plausible answer.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

C6807 coal in a Grampus wagon?? Or is it an effect of the light on ballast/chippings?

Excellent industrial landscapes, I have to say.

I've had another good look at the scan and it does look like coal.  Perhaps they had been clearing up some spillage.

David