Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Alnmouth photos. They bring back happy memories of a trip to Holy Island back in June, 1973. We went by rail as far as Alnmouth, then bus to Holy Island.

The HST in C5811 makes a fine sight in its original condition and livery. But you can see why the deflectors were needed with less exhaust going down onto the cab front.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

As for J3999, which I also wonder as to whether it was from Skegness, I think it was taken in the late morning as the sun is just on the far side of the line which at Swayfield runs roughly NNW to SSE so the sun crosses the line before noon.

A possibility is the summer months formation of 1A11 the 08:25SO Newcastle-KX, which matches closely except for the FK at the front. Very unusual to have 31-haulage though, I would have thought.

Edited by mark54

Definitely a 31/1. The multi working jumpers are 31/1 configuration. The 31/0's were completely different. I think the loco is 31109, as it was air brake fitted and still retained the bodyside steps until 1976 at least, so goes someway to fitting the bill.

Paul J.

Cheers Paul. I haven't got great resolution and i had tried to rationalise how the blue stars could look like that given the apparent air brakes.

Many thanks

Guy (on a dodgy internet connection in South West France!)

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent set of photo's of Burnmouth in 1974. The Deltic hauled expresses look superb, and the class 40 hauled Freightliner makes a sight for sore eyes.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

First bags at guess the Deltics:

J3702 = 55019

J3703 = 55016

I'll bags first go at the 40 on the Freightliner then. 40145 is my suspect. The blue patches and air braked give me a good chance with that one. See these links.

https://flic.kr/p/ek8nkK

And this one in colour showing the green repaint patch on the body towards No 1 end.

https://flic.kr/p/u3UaDc

Paul J.

I'll bags first go at the 40 on the Freightliner then. 40145 is my suspect. The blue patches and air braked give me a good chance with that one. See these links.

https://flic.kr/p/ek8nkK

And this one in colour showing the green repaint patch on the body towards No 1 end.

https://flic.kr/p/u3UaDc

Paul J.

The headboard brackets are very good clue too................

• RMweb Gold

while we're in that area, did you or your dad ever go down to Eyemouth?

me & Shez are thinking of building a layout of it

Both of us visited Eyemouth at various times, but the railway was long gone by then.

David

Love the open loads on the Freightliner especially what looks like a beer barrels. Didn't realise they used to do that. 

Scottish and Newcastle used to load out of Follingsby and there were times that these trains were raided for the beer and on one occasion a would be thief lost an arm trying this!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

A Freightliner train waiting for the calling on signal to enter Danygraig terminal at Swansea lost an aluminium ingot worth several hundred thousand pounds during my time on the railway in the early 70s; the job was in my link but I was not the guard on that occasion.  He had no idea; that part of the train was around a the curve from Jersey Marine and out of sight.  There was also rumoured to have been a container full of 50p coins, allegedly £2million worth, from the Royal Mint at Llantrisant which went walkabout somewhere in North London off a Cardiff-Stratford liner; somebody's gas meter was topped well up!

• Like 1

Always interests me how these Freightliner trains lack much, if any privately owned containers. Marine and Domestic services were run separately but I don't know when this senseless split ended. Freightliner gave advantageous rates to companies that backloaded -so beer kegs (and in my day Schweppes crates) went out loaded and returned with the empties. Non deposit stopped a lot of that, to the considerable detriment of the environment (although handling empty crates that had been stored for weeks in a pub backyard with the owners dog was not pleasant!).

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think that, in the early days when a fair amount of 'traditional' freight handling was still taking place, shippers were happy to hire the containers from Freightliner rather than buy and brand their own, but of course as time went on and container routes became more established, the current much more colourful situation developed.  Container shipping was for a while seen as a premium fast service and commanded a premium rate, the exception rather than the norm it has become.

I think that, in the early days when a fair amount of 'traditional' freight handling was still taking place, shippers were happy to hire the containers from Freightliner rather than buy and brand their own, but of course as time went on and container routes became more established, the current much more colourful situation developed.  Container shipping was for a while seen as a premium fast service and commanded a premium rate, the exception rather than the norm it has become.

The boxes in the photos have 'Twistlock' fittings, but are not fully ISO-compatible, as they weren't designed to be stacked five or more high when loaded. Because of that, they wouldn't have been much use for transport by ship, especially on deep-sea runs. Deep-sea container operations from UK ports only really started to become significant from the late 1960s; older readers might remember the series of Dockers' strikes during the late 1960s and early 1970s, largely in protest at job losses caused by modern freight handling methods.

There were some boxes that were liveried for particular customers, some of these liveries being carried by the early Hornby models. One, I recollect, was lettered 'Scotch Beef for Sainsbury's', others included 'Pickfords'. However, many customers were attracted by the anonymity of the grey and red box, especially for high-value items such as spirits.

• Like 1

1E78 Can't find any reference to this. Not a usual ECML reporting number, so probably an extra.

J3703 (assuming 1S17 was taken the same day) would be 1E17 the 10:45 Aberdeen-KX, The Aberdonian.

4V73 was the Edinburgh FLT to Cardiff FLT.

• Like 1

The boxes in the photos have 'Twistlock' fittings, but are not fully ISO-compatible, as they weren't designed to be stacked five or more high when loaded. Because of that, they wouldn't have been much use for transport by ship, especially on deep-sea runs. Deep-sea container operations from UK ports only really started to become significant from the late 1960s; older readers might remember the series of Dockers' strikes during the late 1960s and early 1970s, largely in protest at job losses caused by modern freight handling methods.

There were some boxes that were liveried for particular customers, some of these liveries being carried by the early Hornby models. One, I recollect, was lettered 'Scotch Beef for Sainsbury's', others included 'Pickfords'. However, many customers were attracted by the anonymity of the grey and red box, especially for high-value items such as spirits.

Pickfords was a nationalised company after the early blacking of private containers. But Dave's photos are much later than all of that argy bargy. The early freightliner official photos show various private owners.

Paul

A Freightliner train waiting for the calling on signal to enter Danygraig terminal at Swansea lost an aluminium ingot worth several hundred thousand pounds during my time on the railway in the early 70s; the job was in my link but I was not the guard on that occasion.  He had no idea; that part of the train was around a the curve from Jersey Marine and out of sight.  There was also rumoured to have been a container full of 50p coins, allegedly £2million worth, from the Royal Mint at Llantrisant which went walkabout somewhere in North London off a Cardiff-Stratford liner; somebody's gas meter was topped well up!

There was, I recollect, a road accident on the old road from Swansea to Carmarthen via Pontardulais, involving a lorry carrying whiskey from Fishguard to Danygraig, sometime in the 1970s. There was a large police and Customs presence, but it turned out that at least some of these were more concerned about liberating a few bottles than anything else.

Pickfords was a nationalised company after the early blacking of private containers. But Dave's photos are much later than all of that argy bargy. The early freightliner official photos show various private owners.

Paul

Pickfords (and Hay's Wharf) had been owned by the GWR at some point, I believe. They were Nationalised post WW2, and then sold off in 1982- Thatcher's first privatisation.