RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Cramlington photo's. In the first one, the class 101 is showing so clearly why white, and all other very light liveries, are to be avoided on railway vehicles. They get far too dirty far too quickly.

I like the photo' of the track re laying train in C6470. The new track panels are showing up as very clean and new. I don't think anyone will be able to work out the number of the class 31! lol.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Is that a Hawkesworth?

Looking closely I'd have thought that was a Gresley.

Don't think so, the unpanelled flush sides, and ventilators, show that it's a Hawksworth bow ended brake 3rd with the gangways plated over.  These were commonly used as mess and tool vans at the time, in an olive green livery.

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold

Is that a Hawkesworth?

Looking closely I'd have thought that was a Gresley.

C6096: note the Hawkesworth coach in use as a Mess Van with the cranes. Any idea which day that was? We had our 'wedding breakfast' on July 4th 1983 in Corbridge, and it was blue skies and boiling hot.

I'd agree: I'm no expert on Hawkesworths, but I can't see anything which shows it's not a Gresley.

Don't think so, the unpanelled flush sides, and ventilators, show that it's a Hawksworth bow ended brake 3rd with the gangways plated over.  These were commonly used as mess and tool vans at the time, in an olive green livery.

I've enlarged the coach, probably more than is wise, does it help?

post-5613-0-23547300-1502401929_thumb.jpg

Corbridge Class 37 up pw train July 83 C6096

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi. That is an ex-Gresley end door carrriage - most likely a former all third or first. The little 'step' on the dome end of the roof is one clue, and then the vents along the centre of the roof being another clue. The sides have clearly been repanelled with metal panels, hence the lack of beading and panelling. Clearly the visble side is the corridor side with the number of windows being correct at nine in total. Finally, you can just make out the handrails either side of the centre roof vents at each end of the carriage, which confirms its Gresley heritage.

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. That is an ex-Gresley end door carrriage - most likely a former all third or first. The little 'step' on the dome end of the roof is one clue, and then the vents along the centre of the roof being another clue. The sides have clearly been repanelled with metal panels, hence the lack of beading and panelling. Clearly the visble side is the corridor side with the number of windows being correct at nine in total. Finally, you can just make out the handrails either side of the centre roof vents at each end of the carriage, which confirms its Gresley heritage.

Best regards,

Rob.

Yes, I agree.  One can see with the blown up version of the photograph that it is not a Hawkworth, and in any case not a Brake 3rd.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the southern electric photos. The first one at Sheerness has much detail in it, and would make the basis for a great model railway. You can see the way the carriage sides have weathered in J5179. It would make one of Hornbys 4VEP's look most realistic if weathered like that.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi, Dave. I like the southern electric photos. The first one at Sheerness has much detail in it, and would make the basis for a great model railway. You can see the way the carriage sides have weathered in J5179. It would make one of Hornbys 4VEP's look most realistic if weathered like that.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It should be noted there are two whites showing on the destination board instead of 01. Whilst down there more than a few years ago surveying for our "Rushenden Metals Ltd. layout we asked the driver why this was so. The blinds would have to be wound from one end to the other to go from 1 to red but red and white are next to each other. 

In Great Eastern territory today with a mix of odds and ends.  A bit later today as I have been spending some time working out exactly where I took some Swedish photos for my European thread.

attachicon.gifTrumpington trackbed on LNWR line to Cambridge July 74 C1664.jpg

Trumpington trackbed on LNWR line to Cambridge July 74 C1664

David

Guilty M'lud. I took that track. (by rail too, all the way to Dereham)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What a delightful set of GE photos. At Trumpington, in the first photo, I'm just wondering if that loop/siding beyond the box is still there. I'm thinking that it's most probably long gone, replaced by bushes and trees.

And I see the telegraph poles were left in situation long after the track had been lifted at Trumpington in C1664.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. What a delightful set of GE photos. At Trumpington, in the first photo, I'm just wondering if that loop/siding beyond the box is still there. I'm thinking that it's most probably long gone, replaced by bushes and trees.

And I see the telegraph poles were left in situation long after the track had been lifted at Trumpington in C1664.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Trumpington - the trackbed of the LNWR line is now the infamous guided busway.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Nice set of photos again David. Loco identity alert! The 31 in photo J2588  looks to be 5696. It is in the right livery, but more importantly it has the small "hole" just below the footstep in the LH corridor connecting door, that 5696 had for the Royal Train communication wiring, more commonly seen on 25's and 40's.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

8B40 was the 12:18SX Whitemoor-Hitchin

1B66 was the 13:35 KX-Cambridge, going by the RMB in the formation and the light. If 1B66 was on time, 8B40 must have been running about an hour late.

Thanks once again Mark.

As it is an April photo Dad may well have been on holiday, in which case the Whitemoor to Hitchin train would be right.

I can't be certain as I didn't keep a diary then but it may have been the day Dad went to see an old friend (the farmer's son) he worked with on a farm near Cambridge during school holidays in the early part of the war.  I remember Mum and I went with him and we were made most welcome.  It's always interesting the memories that looking at old family photos can bring back.   It was then that I realised why Dad knew quite a bit about working with heavy horses, as well as using traction engines on farms, especially the big ploughing engines.

David

• RMweb Premium

From memory 1B66 was used for all the down Cambridge Buffet Express runs. In 1973 there was still the Gresley vehicle (I think rather than Thompson) in one of the rakes. And the young lad assisting in the buffet car was called Jamie! But the sun wouldn't have been where it is in the photo when I was catching it at Stevenage after overtime.

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

Trumpington - the trackbed of the LNWR line is now the infamous guided busway.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi John

The bus way is on the former track bed of the GER line to St Ives and Huntington, not the LNWR line to Sandy and Bedford.

• RMweb Premium

Hi John

The bus way is on the former track bed of the GER line to St Ives and Huntington, not the LNWR line to Sandy and Bedford.

Sorry Clive - as a resident of Cambridge for forty years I KNOW that the the LNWR Bedford branch to Trumpington village is now the southern section of the guided bus system.

I also know - having lived within a couple of hundred yards of it - that the former St.Ives branch is now the northern length of the guided bus route.

Those that have travelled it know that the guided bus route runs from St.Ives to Trumpington, via Cambridge; the section within Cambridge itself is not guided.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

formerly Cambridge City Engineer.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Clive - as a resident of Cambridge for forty years I KNOW that the the LNWR Bedford branch to Trumpington village is now the southern section of the guided bus system.

I also know - having lived within a couple of hundred yards of it - that the former St.Ives branch is now the northern length of the guided bus route.

Those that have travelled it know that the guided bus route runs from St.Ives to Trumpington, via Cambridge; the section within Cambridge itself is not guided.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

formerly Cambridge City Engineer.

Hi John

My apology, I didn't realise they had made a second bit. :blush: :blush: :blush:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Nice set of photos again David. Loco identity alert! The 31 in photo J2588  looks to be 5696. It is in the right livery, but more importantly it has the small "hole" just below the footstep in the LH corridor connecting door, that 5696 had for the Royal Train communication wiring, more commonly seen on 25's and 40's.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Paul J.

5696 without any doubt, but I'll spare you all the Broad Gauge image that proves it! :no:

Rocks by Rail, near Cottesmore today.

It wasn't called "Rocks by Rail" when these photos were taken.  Was it "Rutland Railway Museum"?

David

I'm not sure when the date changed (it's probably on Wikipedia) but it was certainly Rutland Railway Museum when I first went, in 1989.