RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Some photos of the ECML north of Grantham for today.

attachicon.gifc Peascliffe Tunnel Class 40 up car train Dec 70 C435.jpg

Peascliffe Tunnel Class 40 up car train Dec 70 C435

attachicon.gifc Peascliffe Tunnel Class 47 down ex pass April 77 C3278.jpg

Peascliffe Tunnel Class 47 down ex pass April 77 C3278

attachicon.gifc Peascliffe Tunnel Class 254 43079 Kings X to Leeds, going away July 83 C6114.jpg

Peascliffe Tunnel Class 254 43079 Kings X to Leeds, going away July 83 C6114

attachicon.gifHougham Class 55 down Aug 78 C4091.jpg

Hougham Class 55 down Aug 78 C4091

attachicon.gifBarnby Moor Class 254 HST up Feb 83 C5955.jpg

Barnby Moor Class 254 HST up Feb 83 C5955

David

A brief apology.

Those who have good memories will have found today's mistake.

The first two photos have appeared before.  In theory my filing system doesn't allow that to happen.......

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photos of the ECML north of Grantham even with the first two being duplicates. I think the last number on the 40 is a 7. It certainly looks like it on enlarging the photo.

And when Denis Howell was made Minister for Floods, it was then that all the rain started!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the south west of Scotland photos. Interesting to be able to compare the two different platform awnings in the last two photos. And it is sad to see how the former line at Annan was in the first photo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

J3832 - The Dunragit Bypass now cuts right across the fields in the foreground in that view.

Jim 

The A75 underbridge at Challoch was one of the most frequently struck (by lorries) structures in Scotland, if not the UK, and classified Red, so if struck the line was shut. At one time the local Signallers were trained as Bridge Strike Nominees (BSN), to reduce the time the line was closed waiting a BSN attending, often from some distance away. The bypass has pretty much solved that problem !

The A75 underbridge at Challoch was one of the most frequently struck (by lorries) structures in Scotland, if not the UK, and classified Red, so if struck the line was shut. At one time the local Signallers were trained as Bridge Strike Nominees (BSN), to reduce the time the line was closed waiting a BSN attending, often from some distance away. The bypass has pretty much solved that problem !

Let's hope the new bypass at Ely has the same effect when it opens.  I had to go across the level crossing the other day when the bridge was struck (not that it was a chore, you understand).  It must have just happened as the van and sheepish-looking driver were still there and the trains were crawling over at about 10 m.p.h. but the police and Network Rail high-vis brigand had yet to appear. The queue wasn't too bad when I was there but was growing by the minute.  Ely is the second most-bashed bridge in the UK after one in Swindon, I believe, and the sooner the bypass opens the better.

Chris Turnbull

Didn't the the one in Grantham over the A52 used to be the most bashed?

I've just Googled "bridge strikes" and there seem to be several "most bashed bridge in Britain".  Ely holds this accolade according to the Daily Telegraph. the bridge at Grantham is certainly mentioned as is the one at Swindon.  It also seems to change from year to year and, of course, it makes a good headline when there is no real news about.  

Chris Turnbull

• RMweb Gold

I remember about three years ago gazing out of the window of a 158 as a motorhome ploughed into it!

I did the decent thing and conducted the driver onto the Soham branch end and through platform one

• RMweb Premium

A couple of months ago a women destroyed her camper under the bridge there. The MOM showed me the photos of the remains of the van... Well blow me, I saw the van on a transporter at the back end of last week going past Downham Market......

I shouldn't chuckle at this sort of thing, the underpass here is much lower, and is having a spate of being hit too recently...

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Manningtree photos. All very atmospheric, and there are some typical trains for the era to be seen. The first photo shows such a lovely parcels train hauled by a 31.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Is the middle track at Dumfries station still there? The rusty rails in 1984 look ominous.

Going back to yesterday - The Railscot site confirms the middle road has been lifted, don't know exactly when, but photos from the 1980s show it there but photos from the 1990s show it lifted.

https://www.railscot.co.uk/search/index.html?textfield=dumfries#

Jim