Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. You've transported me back to the middle of the sixties with those lovely photos from Harrogate. To think that steam was still, in this part of England, an everyday thing. Units on local services, but many other trains still steam worked for a little longer. The Black Fives were very grimy and leaking steam, but still more than capable of doing what they were designed for. Typical everyday engines, which in many cases were withdrawn much too soon.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Another great set of photos from the L.T.& S.R. It's always good seeing track relaying and the first photo is most interesting. The last two photos from Hadleigh Castle are excellent panoramas of the railway, and I'm not fully sure, but that vantage point may have been used in the closing credits to a series of Softly, Softly: Task Force in the early seventies. It seems most familiar.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Thank you for posting these lovely photos of the Stockton and Darlington Railway from June, 1975. It’s fascinating to see the stone sleeper blocks - I think the NER used them in some locations - a cattle siding at Market Weighton comes straight to mind.

The Brusselton incline cottages and engine house are excellent examples of architectural design used by the railway. They would make fine models. The horses in the last photo make a most tranquil composition.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

More of Dad's photos today, most were taken on a trip to Yorkshire in June 1976. 

I've no idea why he visited Danesmoor sidings in February 1976, unless he was somewhere in the area for work that day.

He must have gone there to see the steam special, all I know about the photos is in the captions, taken from his slide catalogue.

attachicon.gifDanesmoor sidings 45135 St Pancras to Sheffield Feb 76 J5051.jpg

Danesmoor sidings 45135 St Pancras to Sheffield Feb 76 J5051

attachicon.gifKirkstall Class 108 Morecambe to Leeds June 76 J5305.jpg

Kirkstall Class 108 Morecambe to Leeds June 76 J5305

attachicon.gifKirkstall Class 108 Leeds to Ilkley June 76 J5307.jpg

Kirkstall Class 108 Leeds to Ilkley June 76 J5307

attachicon.gifCalverley and Rodley Class 110 and 101 Morecambe to Leeds June 76 J5312.jpg

Calverley and Rodley Class 110 and 101 Morecambe to Leeds June 76 J5312

attachicon.gifCalverley and Rodley B1 1306 and Class 5 44871 Euston Carnforth York June 76 J5313.jpg

Calverley and Rodley B1 1306 and Class 5 44871 Euston Carnforth York June 76 J5313

David

Danesmoor sidings where on the Erewash valley line south of Clay Cross.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Yorkshire photo's from June 1976. In J5305, the unit is a mixture, with a 2 car class 108, leading a 3 car set, which is a class 110 DMBC followed by a class 110 TSL, and then at the rear a Metro Cammell DMCL, which is either class 101 or 111.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

You can't run them straight out of the box! (J5307)

It shows up all the moulded details all down the side.

Kev.

(Great photos as ever - thanks.)

• Like 1

Hello David,

A new game I see!

Identify the Peak, J5051 isn't 45135. The loco in the pic has a double line plate whilst 45135 has one of the rare single line with border ones. 45135 is 3rd Carabinier.

I'm working on the identity of J5051.....

And I think it's likely to be 45143, 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards.

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold

Hello David,

A new game I see!

Identify the Peak, J5051 isn't 45135. The loco in the pic has a double line plate whilst 45135 has one of the rare single line with border ones. 45135 is 3rd Carabinier.

Andy,

I very much appreciate your work on identifying the loco correctly

Thanks

.David

Hello David,

A new game I see!

I agree as the damage looks to be the same as on this shot of 45143 from a certain David Ford. https://flic.kr/p/9qP3MP

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What stunning photos you’ve posted today of the Kyle of Lochalsh line. In particular such a lovely sunset in J3326. And the Scottish scenery is as splendid as always.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

c8283 - Loved that Texas Homecare, as historical as the livery on the 87! A reminder of how much the common scene can change

Texas Homecare was a chain of DIY stores in the United Kingdom and Ireland, which once rivalled B&Q, Do It All, and Great Mills. The firm operated from 1972 until 1996, with some stores lasting until 1999. Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Homecare http://www.texashomecare.co.uk/ Apparently they had 240 stores.

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Texas Homecare was a chain of DIY stores in the United Kingdom and Ireland, which once rivalled B&Q, Do It All, and Great Mills. The firm operated from 1972 until 1996, with some stores lasting until 1999. Wikipedia  Apparently they had 240 stores.

Paul

There were at one time many chains of DIY store which mostly merged with/were taken over by others.

Kinsells (Big 'K'), Calypso etc.

IIRC these two merged and eventually formed the basis of B&Q.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Carlisle photos. The first one shows how the liveries were changing on BR back in 1987. I still much prefer blue and grey, it could really shine when newly applied and kept properly clean. The Intercity and Swallow liveries were Ok, but I always thought they were not quite as good as the blue and grey. It's probably a matter of personal taste. My grandmother did not like BR green on locos and units.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

There were at one time many chains of DIY store which mostly merged with/were taken over by others.

Kinsells (Big 'K'), Calypso etc.

IIRC these two merged and eventually formed the basis of B&Q.

Keith

Madeleys, owned by one-time Leeds United player Paul Madeley, I think.

• RMweb Premium

My wife and I visited the W&Ll that month. We walked from Welshpool station to Sylfaen, took the train to Llanfair and a bus back. I photographed the bus outside Welshpool station - it was already old enough for preservation.

A great trip, though not quite as good as the special which was organised by our model railway club when we lost our premises and closed down. We had to spend our assets so organised a trip to Kidderminster and Welshpool. At the former a member of the club was a signalman volunteer and he got us a visit to the box at Kiddie. At Welshpool one of our members was a driver (still is) and he organised a special in the evening, down from Llanfair to Raven Square, a meal at the pub there (currently undergoing a very major refurbishment) and train back, including footplate rides for some of us, and a very enjoyable time standing on the end balconies of the Zillertalbahn carriages.

The Seirra Leone carriage shown in one picture was looking very much in need of some TLC when I saw it a few months ago.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Welshpool and Llanfair Railway photos. It really had some most unique engines, and the Sentinel in the first photo has such a low height cab. Did the driver have to lay on the floor to get in it?

And what a lovely set of photos of the Midland line from Nottingham to Lincoln. In the second photo, you can clearly see the interior lights of the class 120 DMU.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65