Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Wasn't steam heat a requirement for some class B tankers that had heating coils, eg. heavy fuel oils and bitumen?

Dave

The steam heating was only applied at the unloading point; thee was no need to keep the stuff liquid in transit. It was usually generated from a small boiler on site. For the really gloopy stuff, like bitumen, a 'flame tube' ran along the lower part of the tank interior- there would be a number of small 'chimneys' on the top of the tank for the exhaust gases.

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the platform Bottesford didnt look as though there was much passenger footfall is it still open?

Bottesford is still open, part of the platforms have been raised since the photo was taken.

There is a roughly two hourly service.

I don't know how much it is used now but it certainly was used more than the state of it would suggest when I took the photos.

David

• RMweb Gold

The steam heat bag would more than likely be there as the bogie would at the time been overhauled ready to go under any Peak. Just alter the Traction Motors to suit.

As stated, bear in mind, back in the day, Derby works had seperate workshops for each locomotive component, and a loco would be an amalgamation of overhauled parts from various areas of the works, eg, cabs, bogies, boilers, traction motors etc.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, and not always cabs from the same loco. I saw what I thought was 25178 at Derby works on one visit, but that was only until I reached the other end where the number was 25307.  

I used to like looking at the cabs and seeing what the previous number was under the new one, primarily Sulzer 2's and Brush 2's, made me wonder which loco I was actually spotting!

Mike.

I used to like looking at the cabs and seeing what the previous number was under the new one, primarily Sulzer 2's and Brush 2's, made me wonder which loco I was actually spotting!

Mike.

I once climbed up into a 25 to work on, and looking at the cab saw it the number it was carrying at that moment. Under the paint you could make out a previous different number, and under that another pre-Tops number, that on checking later, was from a different loco to the other two numbers. It got me to wondering which cab, on any loco, carried the most different loco numbers?

Edited by Swindon 123

• RMweb Gold

I once climbed up into a 25 to work on, and looking at the cab saw it the number it was carrying at that moment. Under the paint you could make out a previous different number, and under that another pre-Tops number, that on checking later, was from a different loco to the other two numbers. It got me to wondering which cab, on any loco, carried the most different loco numbers?

My money would be on a Sulzer 2 of some variety that had made the most visits to Derby works, as I believe the cabs were removed and refurbished as a complete unit irrespective of damage and mechanical/electrical wear.

I also believe that Doncaster didn't do full cab swaps irrespective of requirements on Brush 2's as these were more difficult to remove, but had a few spare cabs in the works for any accident damage replacements, although I know for a fact from my own observations that at least one came out with a different number than the one it went in with.

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wonder what a Peak would look like with Type 2 cabs? Or a Type 2 with Peak cabs................... :nono: 

Or a different cab at each end from different classes................. :O

Awful perhaps?

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. That's a most interesting selection of photos. I have never heard of Clowne before, and will be finding out about it after I get home from the Doncaster model railway exhibition. I'm wondering, on looking at the last two photos, whether the line was originally double track. There is room, in the cutting, for two tracks.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Very interstin pictures again

Were the goods lines at alfreton still in use at that time?

I think they were still in use, they had gone when I was there in 1975..

Hopefully someone else will know the date when they were taken out of use/removed for certain.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Premium

Time for some photos again now but don't even think about identifying today's only loco.

Incidentally this particular train has (I think) been seen before, but this really is a different photo of it.

Enjoy working out the exact locations of the other photos - I would probably not be able to find exactly where Dad was for the Clowne photos.  It's a place I don't think I ever visited.

attachicon.gifAlfreton view towards Alfreton tunnel June 69 J1753.jpg

Alfreton view towards Alfreton tunnel June 69 J1753

attachicon.gifBelper view south April 74 C1595.jpg

Belper view south April 74 C1595

attachicon.gifClay Cross Class 46 down Aug 75 C2276.jpg

Clay Cross Class 46 down Aug 75 C2276

attachicon.gifClowne GCR June 69 J1746.jpg

Clowne GCR June 69 J1746

attachicon.gifClowne MR June 69 J1747.jpg

Clowne MR June 69 J1747

attachicon.gifClowne Colliery MR June 69 J1748.jpg

Clowne Colliery MR June 69 J1748

David

Looking at the NLS mapping of Clowne, I would take a stab at the GCR image J1746, would be looking west from North Road by the station, with the MR ones, J1747 looking east from Boughton Lane bridge, and J1748 definitely looking west from the same bridge. Here if you zoom in you can see beyond/behind the signal box the GCR bridge over the MR line.

Dave

Bottesford is still open, part of the platforms have been raised since the photo was taken.

There is a roughly two hourly service.

I don't know how much it is used now but it certainly was used more than the state of it would suggest when I took the photos.

David

Can be quite busy, commuters mostly to Nottingham in the week and shoppers, especially teenagers on Saturdays. Good number of school kids as well in the week