Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Leaning out of windows like that was not permitted, there being lots of signs inside the doors advising passengers of the inherent danger (on Eastern Division 4-CEPs, the warnings were in French, Italian and German as well as English); it was, however, tolerated. In recent years, the official attitude has become less tolerant, there having been at least one fatality directly resulting from someone's head striking a lineside structure.

Oi, mind your own business, that was a bloody cold day, if I want to hang out of windows I will!!

That was a heck of a railtour, we had, I think, 3 or 4 loco failures/planned engine changes, and each time another EE Type 4 was found, the last one being on the way back in the dark, where we stood for at least an hour, maybe more, in the middle of nowhere whilst another was found.

post-5471-0-70283200-1517335538_thumb.jpg

40035. Perth. 18.12.82.

Mike.

• Like 6

.....there having been at least one fatality directly resulting from someone's head striking a lineside structure.

Whilst I'm accutely aware that some may find the following statement insensitive, sadly, I'd call that natural selection!

Edit adds text to second comma.

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold

C6160 unusual luxury for a Nottingham/Skegness train - more often DMU or the summer bucket and spade trains of Mk1s and a pair of 20s

At the time Dad lived within sight of the line, he saw a similar working several times in August 1983, but it certainly was not common.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Grantham to Nottingham photo’s. In C6160, Peak, 45134, at Bottesford, makes a powerful sight at the head of the Skegness to Nottingham train. I see in C5681 and J4930, you have both marker light layouts displayed, of the class 114 DMU, with two below the cab windscreen in C5681, and with just one on the cab roof, in J4930.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

At the time Dad lived within sight of the line, he saw a similar working several times in August 1983, but it certainly was not common.

David

45/ 1s with AC sets started running to Skeggy in 1982 using two of the weekday sets which were spare at weekends.

• RMweb Gold

45/ 1s with AC sets started running to Skeggy in 1982 using two of the weekday sets which were spare at weekends.

Many thanks for this information.

Dad was able to watch trains on the line most days (he often worked from home) hence he would only have seen them at weekends, not weekdays.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like today's photo's. In particular the last one of the funicular railway at Saltburn in August, 1965. I hope it will be as good as new when the refurbishment is completed. The Grangetown BSC works and sidings in C7213 and C7226 are most impressive, and I wonder if anyone has ever tried to make a model of part of the massive complex.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

They aren't polybulks they are PABs with lime from hardendale if I remember rightly

Russ

They are the BRT 8050 to 8118 PAA's that were working from Hardendale with lime to the BOS plant, by that time the PR80xx PAB's were in Alcan Alumina traffic or Steetley from Cemetary North! 

Mark

Russ

They are the BRT 8050 to 8118 PAA's that were working from Hardendale with lime to the BOS plant, by that time the PR80xx PAB's were in Alcan Alumina traffic or Steetley from Cemetary North! 

Mark

Mark Thanks. Having made the original mistake, I thought I could see a handwheel brake, which meant they couldn't be the PABs. The PAAs have a handwheel http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lackenbylime

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I assumed they were PABs as the thrislington job had them and I wrongly assumed the job to the BOS plant had them too.

I never did that job must have been a late night one Or an early from Tyne!

Edited by russ p

Mark Thanks. Having made the original mistake, I thought I could see a handwheel brake, which meant they couldn't be the PABs. The PAAs have a handwheel http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lackenbylime

Paul

I assumed they were PABs as the thrislington job had them and I wrongly assumed the job to the BOS plant had them too.

I never did that job must have been a late night one Or an early from Tyne!

If I remember correctly the PR 80xx PAB’s worked from Rhystone to Lackenby with lime when new!

Mark Saunders

Hi, Dave. I like the Grantham to Nottingham photo’s. In C6160, Peak, 45134, at Bottesford, makes a powerful sight at the head of the Skegness to Nottingham train. I see in C5681 and J4930, you have both marker light layouts displayed, of the class 114 DMU, with two below the cab windscreen in C5681, and with just one on the cab roof, in J4930.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Thanks Rob.

Presumably the marker lights were repositioned once the headcode panel was removed and the space plated over?

TBH it is something I had never noticed before.