Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo’s. In particular C0994 of a 47 at Swayfield on the down 18.30 King’s Cross to Hull, in July 1972. That would have been taken just prior to when myself and my parents journeyed to King’s Cross on our way to Brighton.

C1014 is a great view of how High Dyke was back in July, 1972. I would think the Deltic will be impossible to indentify! lol.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

Is High Dyke taken from the Nortern Portal of Stoke Tunnel?

Interestingly the railway spelling is Dyke and the OS is ######

Cheers

Keith

Blast. the nanny filter wont allow the English place name D-i-k-e

IMHO it's about time it was turned off.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

...Interestingly the railway spelling is Dyke and the OS is ######

Cheers

Keith

I go on one railway website where the nanny filter objects to you using the name of the site!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Is High Dyke taken from the Nortern Portal of Stoke Tunnel?

Interestingly the railway spelling is Dyke and the OS is ######

Cheers

Keith

Yes,  it's from the field above the tunnel.

It was a gentle stroll up the hill from the roadside by the railway where we used to park.

David

J034 - not much hope of identifying it but it can only be one of nine Deltics:  D9004, D9005, D9006, D9008, D9010, D9011, D9014, D9016 or D9017. The rest are all excluded by naming dates or detail differences.  :no:

Yes,  it's from the field above the tunnel.

It was a gentle stroll up the hill from the roadside by the railway where we used to park.

David

Just been looking at that location on Google Maps and I notice that the strip of land immediately above the tunnel is not farmed, I wonder if this strip is owned by the railway.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Just been looking at that location on Google Maps and I notice that the strip of land immediately above the tunnel is not farmed, I wonder if this strip is owned by the railway.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes, it is owned by (now) Network Rail. The land was acquired back in BR days to route cables over Stoke Tunnel rather than through the tunnel. Up until very recently there was an NRN mast on top of the tunnel, on the railway owned land. For interest, this mast supported 3 NRN Base Stations, 1 off the Kings Cross radio rack and 2 off the Doncaster radio rack.

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Premium

J034 - not much hope of identifying it but it can only be one of nine Deltics:  D9004, D9005, D9006, D9008, D9010, D9011, D9014, D9016 or D9017. The rest are all excluded by naming dates or detail differences.  :no:

The workings shown in Chronicles of Napier offer the following. The fact that the loco is so dirty may help:

D9004 Unlikely. Off DR works Light Repair on 8 April 1963. Worked 1E10 the next day Tuesday 9 April but surely too clean.

D9005 Possible. No info.

D9006 Possible. No info.

D9008 Possible. To DR works on 18 April for General Repair.

D9010 Unlikely. LDR works Light Repair 8-10 April, so presumably too clean thereafter.

D9011 Very unlikely. Off DR works General repair 6 April. Worked 1E10 on Friday 26 April when still too clean http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/11_26-4-63.htm

D9014 Possible. Worked 1E10 on Tues 16, Weds 17 and Tues 23 April.

D9016 Unlikely. Off DR works Light Repair on 2 April, so probably too clean for the photo.

D9017 Unlikely. Off DR works General Repair on 1 April, so probably too clean for photo.

So unless it has to be a Saturday or Sunday D9014 is a strong contender, with D9005, D9006 and D9008 close behind.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim,

Yes, it is owned by (now) Network Rail. The land was acquired back in BR days to route cables over Stoke Tunnel rather than through the tunnel. Up until very recently there was an NRN mast on top of the tunnel, on the railway owned land. For interest, this mast supported 3 NRN Base Stations, 1 off the Kings Cross radio rack and 2 off the Doncaster radio rack.

Regards, Ian.

That's interesting as the Doncaster area 031 area didn't start until Peascliffe tunnel

• RMweb Premium

That's interesting as the Doncaster area 031 area didn't start until Peascliffe tunnel

The Doncaster 031 radio zone effectively started at the north portal of Stoke Tunnel (the Kings Cross 023 radio zone effectively finishing at the south portal). The NRN 'channel change' boards were only "reminders" to the drivers to change channel and not a definitive boundary marker between the two radio zones. Many drivers did "change channel" on exiting Stoke Tunnel (but not all) rather than waiting until they saw the channel change board.

Regards, Ian.

Many drivers did "change channel" on exiting Stoke Tunnel (but not all) rather than waiting until they saw the channel change board.

Regards, Ian.

Sorry but that's a bit of a strange statement, as drivers - at least on the western anyway - we weren't taught the physical boundaries of radio areas (and I'm glad we weren't!) and we were only expected to change channels at the marker boards. Although in practice with route knowledge and knowing there was some 'overlap ' we often did change channels a little before reaching a board. Edited by 101

• RMweb Gold

The workings shown in Chronicles of Napier offer the following. The fact that the loco is so dirty may help:

D9004 Unlikely. Off DR works Light Repair on 8 April 1963. Worked 1E10 the next day Tuesday 9 April but surely too clean.

D9005 Possible. No info.

D9006 Possible. No info.

D9008 Possible. To DR works on 18 April for General Repair.

D9010 Unlikely. LDR works Light Repair 8-10 April, so presumably too clean thereafter.

D9011 Very unlikely. Off DR works General repair 6 April. Worked 1E10 on Friday 26 April when still too clean http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/11_26-4-63.htm

D9014 Possible. Worked 1E10 on Tues 16, Weds 17 and Tues 23 April.

D9016 Unlikely. Off DR works Light Repair on 2 April, so probably too clean for the photo.

D9017 Unlikely. Off DR works General Repair on 1 April, so probably too clean for photo.

So unless it has to be a Saturday or Sunday D9014 is a strong contender, with D9005, D9006 and D9008 close behind.

it may have been a weekday,  we were usually sailing at weekends just then.

David

• RMweb Premium

Sorry but that's a bit of a strange statement, as drivers - at least on the western anyway - we weren't taught the physical boundaries of radio areas (and I'm glad we weren't!) and we were only expected to change channels at the marker boards. Although in practice with route knowledge and knowing there was some 'overlap ' we often did change channels a little before reaching a board.

Hi 101,

I didn't say that drivers were taught to change channels at the physical boundaries - especially as there is no such thing in radio terms. Many of the drivers, either by 'experimenting', curiosity or because occasionally a radio engineer (such as me) had the odd cab ride with them to check on radio coverage would mention where channel change could be carried out successfully and didn't need to wait until they had reached the "reminder" board. Although the KX connected base station primarily provided NRN coverage between Stoke Tunnel back towards Tallington (and a bit beyond), it only provided a bit of secondary coverage north of the tunnel, and then diminishing quite quickly towards Grantham, but the coverage provided by the Doncaster connected base station was designd to give coverage towards Grantham (as well as other base stations on the 031 radio zone). In the case of this example, there is near enough 7 miles of railway between the two tunnels and the CCB near Peascliff, so a driver could travel 3 to 4 miles with effectively little or no radio coverage until changing channel at the CCB - probably ok in 99.999% of occasions, but if a driver had hit the red button between Grantham and Peascliff whilst still on the KX zone, the chances are the call would have failed to connect, or if it did connect, would be of poor quality and getting poorer the further away from the base station the train went. However, such a scenario is eliminated with GSMR, hence no requirement for lineside CCBs.

Regards, Ian.

Sorry but that's a bit of a strange statement, as drivers - at least on the western anyway - we weren't taught the physical boundaries of radio areas (and I'm glad we weren't!) and we were only expected to change channels at the marker boards. Although in practice with route knowledge and knowing there was some 'overlap ' we often did change channels a little before reaching a board.

As iands says there was indeed a huge amount of overlap between NRN radio areas, which could also vary depending on such things as atmospheric conditions and base station faults. On one occasion in Glasgow Control I received an Emergency NRN call from a Driver whose train had struck a tree in the Dalston area, on the Carlisle/Workington route. The correct base station was down and the next strongest signal was in Scotland Route (Channel 092). 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle photos. The King Edward Bridge is so iconic, and a major part of the scene in the middle of Newcastle. The last photo’ shows just how sharp the curve is at the Southern end of the bridge. The HST will have been observing one of many P.S.R’s.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim,

Regards, Ian.

I would suggest it was already railway owned land as it was differentiated from the adjacent parcels of land on a 1904 25" map:

http://maps.nls.uk/view/114652956

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I would suggest it was already railway owned land as it was differentiated from the adjacent parcels of land on a 1904 25" map:

http://maps.nls.uk/view/114652956

Keith

Hi Melmerby,

Thanks for that. That strip of land could well have been in railway "ownership" for quite a while as you and the map indicate. I seem to recall in BR days that a bit more land was acquired resulting in the strip of land being widened a bit. However, I may have got this bit wrong.

Regards, Ian.

Hi Melmerby,

Thanks for that. That strip of land could well have been in railway "ownership" for quite a while as you and the map indicate. I seem to recall in BR days that a bit more land was acquired resulting in the strip of land being widened a bit. However, I may have got this bit wrong.

Regards, Ian.

This seems to be the case with many tunnels, particularly shallower ones. If you look on the NLS maps site, there is often a delineated strip of land directly above the tunnel. Examples are:

Catesby tunnel on the GCR:  http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=52.2150&lon=-1.2208&layers=168&b=1

Clayton tunnel on the GNR Queensbury lines:  http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=53.7772&lon=-1.8265&layers=168&b=1

Peascliffe Tunnel on the ECML: http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=52.9461&lon=-0.6466&layers=168&b=1

Rob

The light-coloured ramp, with a concrete wall holding it back, was the 'loading facility' for the Thompson side-tipper wagons on the Montrose dolomite flow. Theirs was the only quarry without a direct rail-link, there being four or five other ones within about a mile.

'Billy' Thompson lived in a rather 'Dallas' styled house just up from us, with a 'hobby' farm attached.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos. Some very short track panels can be seen in the first photo’ at Ferryhill. And I’m left wondering about that class 101 in J4396 at Fighting Cocks in June, 1975. I wonder if anyone has any information about it?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

The 101 was hit at Darlington by 55007 in the late 70s I believe. It was a result of a bit of wood flying up between the loco and the first coach closing the air cocks and trapping air in the brake pipe.

As a consequence it was unable to stop at the north end of platform 4 and hit the dmu leaving the north bay

The damaged car was sold to a scrap dealer at fighting cocks but wasn't actually scrapped until around 1990