Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

I do like all that steam in J429.

Sorry if it’s been asked before, but presumably only some Liverpool - Newcastle trains went via Harrogate and Ripon, others also going via York?

I've just had a look at the NER 1963/4 winter timetable, both routes were used.  There weren't many through trains then though, nothing like the service we have today.

The summary table gives 4 trains a day from Newcastle to Liverpool and vice cersa, 2 appear to be via York, 2 via Harrogate.

David

• RMweb Premium

I only look in this thread occasionally, but its always fascinating.  Firstly for Dave's never-ending supply of photographs (usually of locations I am totally unfamiliar with) and also for all the facts and figures to accompany them by everyone else.

Thanks very much,

Dave.T

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Sittingbourne and Kelmsley Railway photos which show how varied the railways locos and rolling stock was.

Then some truly superb photos of Harrogate in 1965. Those two from December are both so atmospheric in the snow. They bring back some most vivid memories of how the railway was back then, with steam appearing on a small number of services alongside the new diesels. What I cannot recall, though, is when the last steam hauled train departed from Harrogate. I wonder if anyone knows.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

The photos around the Soar and Trent show just how unpredictable those two rivers can be. I lived in Clifton, south Nottingham, as a student, and many of the roads were flooded around Kegworth In summer the Trent could almost be forded at Clifton, certainly it could be swum, but in winter? A scary beast, the "Murky Trent" as the Notts folk called it.

I swam in the Trent as a kid until I was taken, on a school trip, to the water testing lab in Nottingham. There we were advised that the river was up to 50% pollution through Nottingham! (early 60s). Never again! 

I assume it has cleaned up a lot since then.

• RMweb Gold

"Mum and Dad had moved to Harrogate at Easter in 1965, I had remained in Nottingham living with some friends while I took my 0 levels, moving to Harrogate in July."

Took my O levels in Nottingham in the same year at West Bridgford GS. Were you at the High School? - handy for spotting at Weekday Cross if so.

• RMweb Gold

"Mum and Dad had moved to Harrogate at Easter in 1965, I had remained in Nottingham living with some friends while I took my 0 levels, moving to Harrogate in July."

Took my O levels in Nottingham in the same year at West Bridgford GS. Were you at the High School? - handy for spotting at Weekday Cross if so.

No, not the High School.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the West Highland photo’s. In particular the first one of the lovely Horseshoe Curve. It’s such an awe inspiring view. The last one of Garelochead is simply delightful, and full of atmosphere. I can see why Scottish models are so popular.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Northumberland photo's. In particular, the second one of a class 40 at Longhirst, on a down freight in the snow. So photogenic, and the 40 looks so powerful at the head of that train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Did the horses in J4361 come over to see you at the gate in J4482, or was J4482 taken first and you actually scared them away ?!

Brilliant photos, many thanks again David. 

They came to see Dad and I at the gate - or to be more exact they came to see the farmer who owned the horses who turned up while we were taking photos.  Meeting him was useful as he gave us permission to go into his field whenever we liked as long as we didn't disturb any livestock - though we rarely did.

By the way, with a very very few exceptions the file numbers are the sequence in which the photos were taken.  Bearing in mind there are two sequences, mine beginning with a C and Dad's beginning with a J.

David

• Like 1

With reference to 'Hillmorton Class 87 87001 down Royal Scot March 76 J5082', I have learnt something that I didn't know.  Loco hauled mark 3 stock in use before production HSTs entered service. I had always assumed that the HSTs were in service first. Lovely pictures as always and the horse and foal add a very special touch indead.

Edited by andy stroud