RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

I have fond memories of visits to Montreux, Lausanne and Geneva. Great toi see the photos.

Did you ever take a trip on the MOB? I did one way the full length, but of course I was on the train so I only have photos at the two ends of the line, Montreux and Zweissimmen.

Jonathan

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

I have fond memories of visits to Montreux, Lausanne and Geneva. Great toi see the photos.

Did you ever take a trip on the MOB? I did one way the full length, but of course I was on the train so I only have photos at the two ends of the line, Montreux and Zweissimmen.

Jonathan

Yes, several times over various visits.  I do have a few shots of intermediate stations - but they are my European photo thread and most of those photos are not back there just yet.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That is a really excellent selection of photo’s of Chillon, near Montreux, Switzerland from the 5th August, 1978. They capture the railways and mountainous countryside perfectly. In J6237, with SBB, Re4/4ii, 11251, on a TEE service, The Lemano, the train looks most impressive from that low angle, and the couple, out walking, complete the composition beautifully.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

I just had to check my own photographs, to refresh my memory of the date that I was thereabouts. Actually, it turned out to be the following year and the following month - to the day, 5th September 1979. I have very fond memories of a day in Montreux and, similarly, of walking around Lac Leman to Vevey. I also have a couple of photographs, posing outside the Grand Hotel (a location which will be familiar to music fans of that vintage). Sadly, to this day, I have still not been back!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a most delightful set of photo’s which you took on the 26th July, of the ECML in Northumberland. The first photo’ of Southside, with a XC class 221, on an up express shows a typical sight of a diesel unit running along the line under the OHLE. 
The photo’s of both the GNR line to Newark, and the joint line, Great Central and Great Northern, on the Grantham to Nottingham Victoria line going west from Bottesford, are truly excellent, and of historical interest. In ImageH01, at Colwick, in the early 1950’s, that’s a fascinating view of the large shed there, along with a selection of engines, including some O4’s, WD’s, and, on enlarging the photo’, what is indeed a class J6.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Only ever been once back in 1982.

I remember you could walk round the inside of the shed, and with plenty of locos, it was like revisiting my spotting days.

Then along came the "elf" and cya.🙄

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, JeffP said:

Only ever been once back in 1982.

I remember you could walk round the inside of the shed, and with plenty of locos, it was like revisiting my spotting days.

Then along came the "elf" and cya.🙄

You can still walk round Sheffield Park shed.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That’s a most excellent selection of photo’s of The Bluebell Railway, at Sheffield Park. The last photo’ is a great three quarter front shot of the USA tank engine, 30064, on the 26th December,1977.

The Newcastle to Carlisle line at Fourstones, and Riding Mill and Stocksfield are a delightful set, and the first photo’ at Fourstones, with the record breaking A4, 4468, Mallard, on a York to Newcastle, Carlisle and York special train, on the 27th August, 1988, captures perfectly the appearance of a steam hauled train, in the countryside. The photo’s of class 143’s at Stocksfield show how the everyday railway was by the mid eighties and onwards. It got on with it’s work without any fuss. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Before I post today's photos I thought I'd say somethimg about the "missing photos" from earlier years.  As time passes I suspect it becomes less likely that they will return.  I have checked and in my photo threads there are over 20,000 photos no longer visible.

Realistically there isn't any likelihood of my managing to replace that many in the posts, even though I do have copies of them all.

So I think the best thing is for me to do new posts and put the old photos in them so they can be seen.  It will take a long time but it would be a lot easier than trying to match up the photos to the original posts.

I will start in due course.

Now for today.  We go back again to the early 1950s, this time at Grantham, in black and white.

A note about the WD photos.  After the war the LNER acquired a batch of ex WD 2-8-0s, they called them Class O7 and numbered them in the 30xx series.  So in early BR days they became 630xx, as in the second photo.  Later they were all renumbered into the 90xxx series.

662786314_GranthamNorthC12downinspectionsaloonc1950JVol3005.jpg.8ffbdac9012dd87ee1151cd20a73b275.jpg

Grantham North C12 down inspection saloon c1950 JVol3005

331711925_GranthamO7WD63079earlynumberdownClassFexpressfreightnotfitedwithcontinuousbrakesFeb52JVol6111.jpg.461e06089dfdb1166df16d5ae1b1a23d.jpg

Grantham O7 WD 63079 early number  down Class F express freight not fited with continuous brakes Feb 52 JVol6111

7487176_GranthamV260942downexpassc1953JVol6068.jpg.dc98b7a91e713b35ee014d7a29d940a6.jpg

Grantham V2 60942 down ex pass c1953 JVol6068

46607272_GranthamW110000c1948JVol1448.jpg.99306692a32d2d20fbfd5bc976d484da.jpg

Grantham W1 10000 c1948 JVol1448

588753895_GranthamWDupClassFexpressfreightnotfittedwithcontinuousbrakec1949JVol3010.jpg.9fa6c195cfe0f24bdd51a595782ff088.jpg

Grantham WD up Class F express freight not fitted with continuous brake c1949 JVol3010

David

There's just something wonderfully atmospheric about B&W steam shots - lovely as ever stuff, David.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

41 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Before I post today's photos I thought I'd say somethimg about the "missing photos" from earlier years.  As time passes I suspect it becomes less likely that they will return.  I have checked and in my photo threads there are over 20,000 photos no longer visible.

Realistically there isn't any likelihood of my managing to replace that many in the posts, even though I do have copies of them all.

So I think the best thing is for me to do new posts and put the old photos in them so they can be seen.  It will take a long time but it would be a lot easier than trying to match up the photos to the original posts.

Now for today.  We go back again to the early 1950s, this time at Grantham, in black and white.

A note about the WD photos.  After the war the LNER acquired a batch of ex WD 2-8-0s, they called them Class O7 and numbered them in the 30xx series.  So in early BR days they became 630xx, as in the second photo.  Later they were all renumbered into the 90xxx series.

662786314_GranthamNorthC12downinspectionsaloonc1950JVol3005.jpg.8ffbdac9012dd87ee1151cd20a73b275.jpg

Grantham North C12 down inspection saloon c1950 JVol3005

331711925_GranthamO7WD63079earlynumberdownClassFexpressfreightnotfitedwithcontinuousbrakesFeb52JVol6111.jpg.461e06089dfdb1166df16d5ae1b1a23d.jpg

Grantham O7 WD 63079 early number  down Class F express freight not fited with continuous brakes Feb 52 JVol6111

7487176_GranthamV260942downexpassc1953JVol6068.jpg.dc98b7a91e713b35ee014d7a29d940a6.jpg

Grantham V2 60942 down ex pass c1953 JVol6068

46607272_GranthamW110000c1948JVol1448.jpg.99306692a32d2d20fbfd5bc976d484da.jpg

Grantham W1 10000 c1948 JVol1448

588753895_GranthamWDupClassFexpressfreightnotfittedwithcontinuousbrakec1949JVol3010.jpg.9fa6c195cfe0f24bdd51a595782ff088.jpg

Grantham WD up Class F express freight not fitted with continuous brake c1949 JVol3010

David

Good move David, I for one, would not have gone back to look at them, so re posting them will make them fresh for me, and still as enjoyable.

Keep up the good work. 👍

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Before I post today's photos I thought I'd say something about the "missing photos" from earlier years.  As time passes I suspect it becomes less likely that they will return.  I have checked and in my photo threads there are over 20,000 photos no longer visible.

A good idea - and your thread will last even longer!

I don't envy you.  I replaced all mine which was hard work and I have but a fraction of what you do.   I look forward to seeing all your photos again. 

Chris Turnbull

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. Firstly, as others have said, you’ve made the right decision about what to do with all those missing photo’s, and I look forward to seeing them again in those new posts over however many years it will take to get them all posted again.

Now onto the photo’s of Grantham from the early fifties. The first one is most interesting of Grantham North with a C12 on a one carriage train, which a Gresley, D.175, BCK. It could be in use for inspection duties, I’m not sure. It certainly is a charming scene. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Please don't feel you have to post however many pics a day, Dave - just do what you can while allowing for a life outside of RmWeb - any are a bonus after the crash!

Always a pleasure to see the older pics, I hadn't looked back through the thread for a while.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium

When changing  trains at Lancaster I have often thought that given enough room it would make an interesting prototype for a layout with a great variety of traffic and trains starting and terminating as well as running through both on the main line and from the Lake District to the Midlands etc.

The main station building would be delightful, but certainly a challenge.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. Firstly, as already pointed out, please do not feel obligated to post two sets of photo’s each day, just post what you feel you are able to. But whatever you do post will be much enjoyed.

So, those ‘missing photo’s’ from Lancaster on the 17th May, 1972 are delightful to see once more, and the first one, of class 08, 3200, shunting stock is a gem, and is the kind of scene you do not see anymore on today’s unit based railway.

The photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland going from north to south are a most excellent set, and a curiosity can be seen in C5632, at Ulgham Grange crossing, with a class 254, HST, on a down express in April, 1982, only the leading class 43 power car, under the cab windscreen, on the secondman’s side, has some kind of ‘protrusion.’ I have enlarged the photo’, but I’m unable to get any better definition on just what it is.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1