Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Another random selection for this morning, mainly places not often photographed.

OldcoatesSouthYorkshireJointRailwayApril69J1608.jpg.544140fb170fd3950e70b008799031c6.jpg

Oldcoates South Yorkshire Joint Railway April 69 J1608

That track bed just looks "wrong". The rust on the rails suggests years of non-use whereas the permanent way looks well maintained with no embankment growth or leaves on the line.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

That track bed just looks "wrong". The rust on the rails suggests years of non-use whereas the permanent way looks well maintained with no embankment growth or leaves on the line.

It's surprising just how quickly steel rails go rusty without the regular passage of trains - that line might have been out of use for only a few damp early spring weeks.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

19 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Wouldn't the guard have entered the consist in his journal?

Even if he had - It was the curious nature of the incident - other than the flapping vac pipe and missing tail lamp, there literally was NO indication the other two vehicles had ever been attached or any sign they had departed the railway infrastructure. It would have been easy to dismiss it at that moment as a badly prepared train especially if the guard hadn't quite been up to mark in his preparation either.

This was in the dark on an embankment and the two vehicles concerned had apparently almost "jumped" off the track ending up on their roofs in the orchard - I am surprised that no photos exist - certainly none of the people locally that were involved have any cos I've asked.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

In theory, yes. But in the heat of the moment, while in charge of the most-monitored train of the day, in the dark in the small hours, I suspect quite a few guards would not have been checking any such thing....

37 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

It would have been easy to dismiss it at that moment as a badly prepared train especially if the guard hadn't quite been up to mark in his preparation either.

That's what I was getting at. If he'd been up to the mark he would have known, at best, that the rear vehicle after the incident wasn't of the type it was supposed to be; or, at worst, that the train was shorter than it was supposed to be.

37 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

the flapping vac pipe and missing tail lamp

These are, generally, good clues that the train has become divided.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

If it's at Oldcotes then it would be the branch off the SYJ to Firbeck Main Colliery. This closed in late 1968 which would explain the odd state of the infrastructure.

Simon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, DaveF said:

PennsMRNuneatontoWolverhamptonlineApril71J2635.jpg.fd5a909a485aa727dfa982893ae1d360.jpg

Penns MR Nuneaton to Wolverhampton line April 71 J2635

PennsMRNuneatontoWolverhamptonlinebridgeoverA4097April71J2636.jpg.7317fc0782e590c3547fd74a844fa374.jpg

Penns MR Nuneaton to Wolverhampton line bridge over A4097 April 71 J2636  taken from the passenger seat of the car by Dad, Mum was driving.

David

that pipe in the first pic is still there, doesn’t look quite so new now though! 

I take it the road in the 2nd pic is now part of the A38 dual carriageway? 
IMG_3559.png.16b93365610f53deb3185a725f765e1f.png

looks like still haven’t let those units though! 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, big jim said:

that pipe in the first pic is still there, doesn’t look quite so new now though! 

IMG_3559.png.16b93365610f53deb3185a725f765e1f.png

looks like still haven’t let those units though! 

I have to admit I haven't got a clue, it is an area I don't know at all and it's one of Dad's photos.  I'll have a look at his notes and see if they say anything more.

David.

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fascinating random selection of photo’s. J2755, of Ellistown colliery, in August, 1971, is a superb photo’, and is full of interest for modellers. 

The mixed bag of photo’s, starting on the branch to Cotgrave mine, then visiting Radcliffe on Trent and Eggington, with one at Ollerton, are a remarkable selection. J1721, at Eggington station, on the GN Grantham to Stafford line, in June, 1969, is an excellent photo’, taken by your Dad, of a sad scene with the line being lifted. It is a valuable record of the Beeching legacy, and hopefully something that will never happen again.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, big jim said:

Yes, I was going to say, not exactly Penns - the bridges in the vicinity of the site of the station are all over the railway - but rather to nearer the junction on the north vertex of the Water Orton / Castle Bromwich triangle.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, JeffP said:

C2053, is the block of flats in the centre background at Clifton?

No, it's to the east of the city, really Sneinton, just by the level crossing on the lines to Lincoln and Grantham, before the junction at Netherfield.

It is just to the north of Nottingham Racecourse and hence east of Nottingham Midland and London Road.

Clifton is on the south west side of Nottingham.

I have to admit i took me a while to remember the names of the places, I haven't lived in or near Nottingham for about 50 years now and although I have relatives there we don't see each other except at funerals!

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/11/2023 at 08:54, DaveF said:

PennsMRNuneatontoWolverhamptonlineApril71J2635.jpg.fd5a909a485aa727dfa982893ae1d360.jpg

Penns MR Nuneaton to Wolverhampton line April 71 J2635

PennsMRNuneatontoWolverhamptonlinebridgeoverA4097April71J2636.jpg.7317fc0782e590c3547fd74a844fa374.jpg

Penns MR Nuneaton to Wolverhampton line bridge over A4097 April 71 J2636  taken from the passenger seat of the car by Dad, Mum was driving.

David

In terms of locations, the rail route is probably better known to most as the Sutton Park line (runs north from junction west of Water Orton to the former junction at Ryecroft). Both locations are at the southern end - the second photo, as Jim said is across the former A4097 (now dual carriageway A38) just west of Minworth. This is almost at the junction with the New St - Nuneaton/Derby line. I well remember the bridge in the photo, with its painted advertisement. Nice period ‘Ansells Bittermen’ ad as well! 

Penns (presumably the location of the first photo) is further north on the route and in the south eastern outskirts of Sutton Coldfield. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Mainly around Hellifield in this set together with one from Culgaith.

kCulgaithClass25upfreightAug77J5763.jpg.447488d36294ab407843b877e7467fd1.jpg

Culgaith Class 25 up freight Aug 77  J5763

mHellifieldLMSClass544842downgoodsSept66J635.jpg.915a3a6317af357054ae224356b907d9.jpg

m Hellifield LMS Class 5 44842 down goods Sept 66 J635

mHellifieldLMSClass544912upgoodsSept66J639.jpg.f6516fb8abe33b7156d4ee99c671fa88.jpg

Hellifield LMS Class 5 44912 up goods Sept 66 J639

mHellifieldBR9F92125downemptylimeApril67J854.jpg.ef072eb114112203e4301f9e4f19dc4f.jpg

Hellifield BR 9F 92125 down empty lime April 67 J854

mHellifieldClass110MorecambetoLeedsJan68J1213.jpg.fe4d9ef7dcb7c3df824cd61639952584.jpg

Hellifield Class110 Morecambe to Leeds Jan 68  J1213

David

J5763 must be the Gunnie to Penyffordd (Padeswood cement works)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic selection of photo’s going north on the ECML, from Newcastle at Heaton and Damdykes, just south of Cramlington. C6580, at Heaton, with a down permanent way machine, on the 25th June, 1984, is a expertly composed photo’, and I see the door is open and a pair of brown boots are visible. 

The photo’s from around Hellifield along with one from Culgaith, are a superb set. J639, at Hellifield, with LMS Class 5, 44912, on an up goods train, in September, 1966, is an excellent photo’, and again it can be seen the very sad state steam was in close to the end of steam on BR.

The last photo’ at Hellifield, with a Morecambe to Leeds train, in January, 1968, is a delightful shot. The unit is a Metropolitan Cammell class 111. The differences between 110’s and 111’s are many, with the cab windows being a big clue.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Market65 said:

The photo’s from around Hellifield along with one from Culgaith, are a superb set. J639, at Hellifield, with LMS Class 5, 44912, on an up goods train, in September, 1966, is an excellent photo’, and again it can be seen the very sad state steam was in close to the end of steam on BR.

The last photo’ at Hellifield, with a Morecambe to Leeds train, in January, 1968, is a delightful shot. The unit is a Metropolitan Cammell class 111. The differences between 110’s and 111’s are many, with the cab windows being a big clue.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I was sure I'd typed 111.  Perhaps I need to go to Specsavers.

David

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Conington Tip. I've heard it referred to as Cambridgeshire's only coal mine. The story goes that ash etc was dumped there from the locosheds at Peterborough, and in the later years there was coal being picked for the tip and used! Also the  tender presently behind the GNR Single No.1 was 'discovered' there after many years of use as sludge carrier.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1