Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

5 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Quite a load behind the 31!

I once had the misfortune, as a child, to go on a Paddington-Paignton train formed of a dozen Mk1s hauled by a pair of 31s. I think we had tried to board the booked HST but been redirected to a summer extra. 
One of the Goyles expired before reaching Slough and the other one struggled on. It felt like we arrived the following week!

Mol

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of Switzerland,  looking down near Steinerberg. C10656, of Re4/4ii, heading a Basel to Chiasso service, is a most atmospheric view, with the train on the curve from between the trees.

The Swayfield photo’s, from the early 1970’s, are an excellent selection. J2847, of Class 31, 5601, on a down emoty coaching stock train, in March, 1972, is a well composed photo’ of a clean 31, and the quite short train, which includes three Mkl sleeping cars.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

Quite a load behind the 31 in the top picture.

As well as that, it’s a Toffee Apple. Presumably working back to London after attention at Doncaster Works, a nice rare capture well away from its usual territory.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 50A55B said:

As well as that, it’s a Toffee Apple. 

I may have noted elsewhere on RMweb the occasion when a Brush Type 2 arrived at Norwood on a Temple Mills freight, and the crew went home 'pass', being over time. My Control colleague on the loco desk was a bit nonplussed when Liverpool St Control rang up asking for their Toffee Apple back!

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, DaveF said:

SwayfieldClass46190downJune72J2951.jpg.e0219789a09632c0a819bb243661913e.jpg

Swayfield Class 46 190 down June 72 J2951 17.30 Kings X to Leeds and Bradford

Got to like this one best in this batch. Lovely lighting and excellent composure, with a fairly recently ex-works loco up front...

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Morpeth. C6985, of Class 47, 47622, on an Edinburgh to Newcastle service, on the 25th July, 1985, is a beautifully composed shot of the train. The second carriage is a declassified first class Mkll from FK to SK.

The photo’s of Barnetby from 1977 to 2008 are a superb set. C25013, of 56094, on a westbound coal train, on the 26th July, 2000, is an excellent photo’, and the 56 is looking good in the EWS livery.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Super shots, David. Always appreciate you sharing these. Though, are some of the last of the batch taken at Basford North, rather than New Basford?

The mention of somersault signals reminded me of something. I was in Sneinton Jn box (MR) one day, and the signalman asked if I'd like to visit the GN Goods Yard box at Nottm London Road. Well, of course I would! So he rang the signalman to say I'd be walking across the tracks to get there. The signalman let me pull the levers to change the aspect of the somersaults that existed there. Still remember that as if it were yesterday.

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of the Souhern Region in the 1970’s. J6540, at Portsmouth Harbour, with Class 421, 7412, on a Portsmouth to Waterloo service, and a Class 205, on a Portsmouth to Salisbury service, in July, 1979, is a well composed shot of the two units at rest.

The black and white photo’s of New Basford in Nottingham, from probably about 1954, in snowy conditions, are a most atmospheric set. JMGC001, of a Class 01, on an up goods train is a superb photo’, with the locomotive in a typically dirty condition.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Super shots, David. Always appreciate you sharing these. Though, are some of the last of the batch taken at Basford North, rather than New Basford?

I think they could really be captioned as Basford North but they are from a small batch of Dad's prints with brief notes on the back, unlike the ones in his albums which were catalogued and all they said was Basford.

I have to admit that as I left Nottingham in 1965 my memories are a bit hazy of the exact locations!   I do have relatives there but have rarely been into the city, especially the north side of it since then, even though Mum and Dad lived in villages not far from the south east of Nottingham for some years.

David

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, DaveF said:

aPortsmouthHarbour3Hdmu1125SouthamptontoPortsmouthHarbourJune75C2142.jpg.f9088d8bfb8af47d82ea09f68430ebe6.jpg

Portsmouth Harbour 3H dmu 1125 Southampton to Portsmouth Harbour June 75 C2142

aPortsmouthHarbourClass4217412PortsmouthtoWaterlooandClass205PortsmouthtoSalisburyJuly79J6540.jpg.84241b1fa04cf82263f22c4080705122.jpg

Portsmouth Harbour Class 421 7412 Portsmouth to Waterloo and Class 205 Portsmouth to Salisbury July 79 J6540

Brings back memories of teenage summer holidays staying with my Aunt, Uncle and cousins in Portsmouth. Back then a bunch of us would take a bus to the Harbour to catch the Sealink slowboat to Ryde, then jump on the old 4VEC 3TIS sets on the IOW, all for a couple of quid each. And Rover tickets to get anywhere along the coast, Littlehampton, Shoreham and Worthing to name a few places we visited. Or just to do a bit of spotting at Eastleigh which meant a Thumper as their was no juice rail on the Fareham line.....

Happy Days....

• Like 7