Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Radford 3F 43729 up pw train c1951 JVol2238  The MR Ballast brake van is nice. Essery MR wagons vol 2 tells us he knew of 98 of these being built between 1888 and 1899. Is the running number visible? I expect more expertise will tell us about this. 

Paul

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a fantastic set of photo’s of Grantham. J5621, of a Class 47 on a Newcastle to Kings Cross service, in January, 1977, is a beautifully composed shot and the 47 is seen producing a thick column of exhaust as it starts the train away from the station. 

The black and white photo’s at Radford are an exceptional selection. The last photo’ of Jubilee, 45694, Bellerophon, on an up express passenger train, in c1951, is a superb study of the Jubilee at the head of the express.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hmrspaul said:

Radford 3F 43729 up pw train c1951 JVol2238  The MR Ballast brake van is nice. Essery MR wagons vol 2 tells us he knew of 98 of these being built between 1888 and 1899. Is the running number visible? I expect more expertise will tell us about this. 

Paul

It appears to be a Diagram 839 (Drawing No. 746), one of the versions with planked doors built between 1888 and 1891.  It  may  have the last 4 figures as 2865 but it is impossible to be certain.  I've looked at it on my hi res original scan.  I can't access the original print at the moment as I am not yet allowed to go in the loft following surgery last month.

I too was looking it up in Essery's Midland Wagons Vol 2!

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

These ballast brakes were built with grease axleboxes and spoked wheels but this one has gained LMS oil axleboxes and solid wheels, as has the one in Midland Wagons Vol. 2 Plate 384, presumably taken post-war. Comparing these two photographs, I should think the writing on the right-hand end of the body side is the allocation - the one in Plate 384 is branded Walsall.

Its number, or at least the number on the solebar plate, is unlikely to be higher than 1,663, being the maximum number of brake vans the Midland had. I think I've worked out numbering for brake vans built as additions to stock (rather than as replacements of old vans): ballast brakes of lot 250, M1186 - M1191; 6 of lot 272, M1272 - M1277 (M1272 and M1276 known from photos); and 6 of lot 473, M1528 - M1533.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

These ballast brakes were built with grease axleboxes and spoked wheels but this one has gained LMS oil axleboxes and solid wheels, as has the one in Midland Wagons Vol. 2 Plate 384, presumably taken post-war. Comparing these two photographs, I should think the writing on the right-hand end of the body side is the allocation - the one in Plate 384 is branded Walsall.

Its number, or at least the number on the solebar plate, is unlikely to be higher than 1,663, being the maximum number of brake vans the Midland had. I think I've worked out numbering for brake vans built as additions to stock (rather than as replacements of old vans): ballast brakes of lot 250, M1186 - M1191; 6 of lot 272, M1272 - M1277 (M1272 and M1276 known from photos); and 6 of lot 473, M1528 - M1533.

I thought the writing on the right hand side of the body was numbers rather than letters but honestly could not be sure.  If it is letters then it being theallocation would make sense.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, DaveF said:

LolhamClass47down14.20KingsXtoNewcastleFeb74C1479.jpg.e7363bd52a5acf4c62d386f3fa61d582.jpg

Lolham Class 47 down 14.20 Kings X to Newcastle Feb 74 C1479

1L20 would be the 14.20 KX-Leeds.

Newcastle trains were usually 1Nxx.

(from WTT page at napier-chronicles).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, keefer said:

1L20 would be the 14.20 KX-Leeds.

Newcastle trains were usually 1Nxx.

(from WTT page at napier-chronicles).

Thanks very much for pointing that out.

I should have noticed I got that one wrong, the L is a bit of a giveaway.

David

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic selection of photo’s of Lolham crossing. The last photo’ of a Class 37 on an up pw train, in February, 1974, is a superb photo’, and the leading vehicle can be seen to be a converted Thompson SK.

The photo’s of Pegswood, on the ECML, are a superb set. C6826, of 56102, on a Widdrington to Blyth power station working, on the 18th April, 1985, is a most excellent shot, and what interesting weathering on the 56.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To correct a spelling mistake.
  • Like 1

I'm going to stick my neck out on C5198 (not encouraged, I know  😁) and suggest that it's 55 019 - ICBW. Looking at the nameplate, it's a two line plate with one short word on the top line. The only Deltic that comes to mind with that pattern is 19, with the 'ROYAL' of 'ROYAL HIGHLAND FUSILIER' on the top row and a lot of space either side of it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s of Selside and Horton in Ribblesdale, on the Settle and Carlisle, in 1965-1973. J0862, at Horton in Ribblesdale, with LMS Class 5, 44824, on a down mineral train, in April, 1967, is a beautiful rear end shot of the locomotive, and some orange can be seen in the smoke coming out of the chimney. 

The photo’s from between Trent and Loughborough, on the Midland, at Ratcliffe on Soar, are a superb selection. J4154, of a Class 45, on an up express train, in March, 1975, is a well composed photo’ with the 45 nicely caught between the trees by your Dad.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just catching up after a week away - those Metro shots at Heworth/Felling brought some memories slamming back - the graffiti on the factory wall in particular, I recall that the owner made a big song and dance about it, with the result of it getting even more graffiti on it!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fascinating set of photo’s of the Snowdon Mountain Railway on the 8th August, 1979. The last photo’ at Llanberis, with 5, Moel Siabod, is a superb portrait shot, side on, of the locomotive.

The photo’s from around Radcliffe on Trent, are full of interest. J4183, of a Class 37 on an eastbound oil train, in March, 1975, is a well composed shot of the 37, framed by the footbridge.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting photos of the Snowdon Mountain Railway in the period when Nos 2 & 8 were converted to oil burning, the photo of No 2 clearly shows the oil tank mounted on the cab roof.

Martin

• Like 2