Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

I am sure J3189 is correctly captioned, but amusing that not a point in sight.

Jonathan

If you look very carefully you will spot part of a point in the top left hand corner of the photo.

I had to look three times before my eyes and brain spotted it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s of Zell am See in Austria in 1989 and 1991. J10187, of 1041 005, on an eastbound freight train, in September, 1989, is a well composed shot of the short freight train. 

The photo’s of Nottingham on the Midland are a superb selection. The first photo’ of a Class 45 on a service to Manchester, in November, 1970, is a fantastic, moody shot of the 45, along with a clock which might have been showing the right time.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

I am sure J3189 is correctly captioned, but amusing that not a point in sight.

Jonathan

58 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

If you look very carefully you will spot part of a point in the top left hand corner of the photo.

I had to look three times before my eyes and brain spotted it.

Once upon a time it was a real junction where the line to Melton Mowbray and then to St Pancras left the line to Lincoln.  However that was closed a long time ago and the remaining track just served local sidings.  However, the name lived on.

David

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, hmrspaul said:

Nottingham Class 31 down grain and Class 45 up ecs March 75 J4184  Wow a Bass Charrington, LMS design grain in traffic at the head of the train. I've never noticed one of them out on the mainline before. Also looks like another just out of shot on left. Presumably working to Burton 

Paul

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bchgrain

Though it looks like it's heading EAST away from Nottingham. Either bound for the Lincoln line, or more likely via Grantham, P'boro towards March.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Though it looks like it's heading EAST away from Nottingham. Either bound for the Lincoln line, or more likely via Grantham, P'boro towards March.

It is captioned as a down train alomst certainly heading towards March - of course when it gets on to the Nottingham to Grantham line at Netherfield it becomes and up train.

David

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of Damdykes, just south of Cramlington on the ECML, in Northumberland. The last photo’ of a Class 143, on a Morpeth to Newcastle service, at 10.57, on the 9th February, 1991, is a superb shot in freezing cold and snowy conditions.

That’s a lovely selection of a few extra random photos. DSC_1129, at Butterwell Junction, of 91114, Durham Cathedral, on a down express passenger train, on the 27th August, 2013, is a beautifully panned shot of the 91. 

The black and white photo’s at Grantham are an excellent set. JVol4141, of A1, 60130, Kestrel, on a down express passenger train, c1951, is a fantastic and well composed photo’. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Those flyash trains, Radcliffe PS to Peterborough, ended up 56-hauled by the mid 1980s. Was it used for brickmaking?

I think it was used to fill in the quarries.  Its main use is in manufacture of concrete but t does have some other uses.

David

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

I think it was used to fill in the quarries.  Its main use is in manufacture of concrete but t does have some other uses.

David

I believe they used the flyash as you have said. The whole area is now an established housing estate, shopping centre, and massive Tesco. (When the Tesco first opened, the staff used roller blades to get round it!). There were some serious issues with subsidence when it was being built I'm told.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, thank you, Mike, for that wonderful post and the two photo’s. I hope you might be able to post a bit more in the thread when are able to, I really have enjoyed all you have had to say.

Well, this evening, we have four more photo’s thanks to John Law, loose_grip_99, and Syd Young, all on Flickr.

The first one is a view of Bubwith, on the Market Weighton to Selby line, with a freight train in c1910.

Next we have a photo’ of D24’s, 2426, and 2427, at Springhead shed, in c1928.

The third photo’ shows preserved Black 5, 5305, on the 28th December, 1981, with the locomotive simmering in Hull Paragon station, after returning from Scarborough via York.

Finally, here’s a photo’ of 47555, as it arrives at Brough, the last stop before it's final destination, with train, 1D01, the 09:44 King's Cross to Hull, on the 11th April, 1988.

Best regards,

Rob.

Have you posted this in the wrong thread?

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. I can only apologise for posting the photos which were meant for my East Yorkshire thread in this thread. I don’t know how it happened. It will be forever a mystery. Or just old age catching up with me.

Sorry,

Rob.

P.S. The photo’s are now to be found in my thread.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, DaveF said:

David

Much went to fill in the old pits at Fletton, hence the nickname Fletliner.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Much went to fill in the old pits at Fletton, hence the nickname Fletliner.

About a thousand years ago I had a Hornby Dublo bogie brick wagon, labelled empty to Fletton. I had heard builders refer to 'Flettons', too. I had always understood flyash to be the basis for breeze-blocks, themselves a sort of brick-alternative. 

• Like 5