Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

C4343 - the 2nd photo in this post shows the GC bridge as it is now (well, 2014), with a lot more trees.

The double track (Midland) line remains, and there's also a reversing facility hidden in the trees just S of Beighton Junction, I think on the alignment of the Clowne line, visible on Google maps aerial photos here

Edit: the reversing facility appears on realtimetrains as Westthorpe Run Round.

My customer is located on Forge Lane which backs onto the Midland Line. The Station road, I take it, is the old GC Line? I believe there was also a single line nearby?

My customer is located on Forge Lane which backs onto the Midland Line. The Station road, I take it, is the old GC Line? I believe there was also a single line nearby?

Looks like there are two Station Roads in the vicinity. At the S end of Rother Valley Country Park, the B6058 west of the Midland line is a Station Road (presumably for the Midland station, Killamarsh West), and there's another Station Road parallel-ish to Forge Lane, next to the GC line's Killamarsh Central (that line's now a footpath/cycleway).

Useful map superimposing all the lines onto the current map here: http://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php

GC station position coordinates about 53.323, -1.329

(Normal service in this thread will be resumed later this afternoon I guess)

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Premium

Looks like there are two Station Roads in the vicinity. 

I noticed that after I sent my previous post !

Thank you very much for the very useful link, I'd not seen that site before!

Apologies to David for hogging your thread.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Liking all the photo's which you have posted this evening of Craigendoran, and also the class 303 EMU's before the cab windows had to be altered. They were very stylish units in their original state.

All the best,

Market65.

Loving the photos Dave, even the murky ones have something to show.

In the shot C4341 of the two 20s on the "up coal" there's also a van and a wagon of what looks to be timber. How common was this sort of makeup as I've not seen it before as far as I can remember?

TTFN,
Ben

• RMweb Premium

In the shot C4341 of the two 20s on the "up coal" there's also a van and a wagon of what looks to be timber. How common was this sort of makeup as I've not seen it before as far as I can remember?

TTFN,

Ben

The van appears to be a Mk1 GUV and the second wagon a loaded Borail. I've seen similar in a few photos from this era particularly in the East Mids. Presumably they have been added to the front of the coal to transfer them between yards. Guess the fitted head they could provide would be pretty useful too on an otherwise unfitted train.

Today is this thread's 1st birthday.  Over 287,000 views so far.

When I started it on 1st May last year I thought it might last for two, perhaps three, months before people got tired of it.

i suppose that when this thread gets to its 10th birthday, I may begin to get tired of it, but probably not. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is that really 43 years ago at Retford. Blimey I feel old. The 'skyline' has changed completely by the way and I wonder what happened to that lovely Yard lamp (left of bog cart on embankment)?

Great shots again Dave.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Many congratulations on this threads first birthday, it really is no mean feat, and I will not be getting tired of it!

Of todays photo's, there is a great ECML selection which I've found most enjoyable. In C445, at Gamston, with a 55 on an up express passenger, I think that the 55 could be D9002 The King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. This based on what appears to be a 2 as the last number, and the size of the nameplate. I could be completely wrong!

Again, many congratulations on this threads first birthday,

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

fantastic pics tonight dave, particularly the gloomy shot of the 105 and the pic of the HST - a nice study of the twin-diner original formation with the buffet car inside the 2nd class

however, it's also interesting in that the buffet car is a TRUB instead of a TRSB - the TRUB was a combined restaurant/buffet car which usually operated on its own in a set, the normal TRSB being a buffet-only car to go with the TRUK, a kitchen-only car. presumably the (faulty?) TRSB has been swapped out at the last minute with the best equivalent available

well done on 1 year of pics, i don't think anyone will tire of them soon as every day's new batch can be so different, in era as well as subject.

Is that building at Newark one of the ones which have only very recently been demolished?

It's still there, I'm pretty sure the new bypass crosses just at the far end on a bridge. Underneath which is now a scrapyard come tinkers site. The ECML is behind the bushes on the right.

I should be sure but when I look at things out of context to what I'm used to it's not quite so easy.

As an aside, I was to told a few years back that when the roads people were planning the bypass BR (at that time I presume) were offered the opportunity to add a rail bridge at the same time to do away with the flat crossing. It would have been a joint project so cheaper than normal, but it was turned down, lack of money and nobody then thought the railways worth investing much in. Typical shortsightedness!

Edited by great central

The photo of the 55 is something you do not see modeled  very often the track it's raised up like that.

Again Dave fantastic photo's , i must get up to see my Father and scan his photo's he took in the early 60, to the end of BR.

One of the best ones i have see that you put up was one your father took of the two loco's bathed in steam at the staion, would love that one blown up to put on my railway room wall, to me it say's it all about steam !.

Darren

• RMweb Premium

It's still there, I'm pretty sure the new bypass crosses just at the far end on a bridge. Underneath which is now a scrapyard come tinkers site. The ECML is behind the bushes on the right.

I should be sure but when I look at things out of context to what I'm used to it's not quite so easy.

As an aside, I was to told a few years back that when the roads people were planning the bypass BR (at that time I presume) were offered the opportunity to add a rail bridge at the same time to do away with the flat crossing. It would have been a joint project so cheaper than normal, but it was turned down, lack of money and nobody then thought the railways worth investing much in. Typical shortsightedness!

I was reading something today (in a 1964 Modern Railways) about the plans for realignment of the crossing area at Newark! No I hadn't just got round to reading it, I had found it (them) in the loft whilst searching for a Lima bog cart :sarcastichand: . I also found a ? 1965 copy of the same mag.  In that is a description of the work progressing on the Retford 'diveunder'; brilliant. I shall take a walk down to the station soon and have yet another look to see what went where.

Incidentally, Newark still retains  a certain 'air' of having once been quite an important railway town and junction and the lovely old Theatre hosts some good, historic Railway Film shows.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Cant be much doubt that's a WR named 47 Dave

Would that have caused a stir up north?

Phil

Possibly, but I'm not sure how rare they were.  I stopped collecting numbers when the A4s left the southern end of the ECML, except for locos I photographed - and even then some loco numbers had to be taken from the slide if I forgot to write down the number at the time I took the photo.

David