Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Pilmoor is a good place for photo's of trains running at speed along the 'race-track' north of York. I think that train 1N28 in J847 with D1673 Cyclops was an inter-regional working, from certainly Birmingham - here's a link to a photo' with D1745 at Birmingham New Street in 1967 on 1N28 https://www.flickr.com/photos/67444577@N02/7269691642/ . I see that in post 2599, page 104, of this thread, that this working has been mentioned by jonny777, who could not find the train in the WTT. I just wonder if the train could have originated at Bristol, then onto Birmingham from there, etc,.

All the best,

Market65.

I think WR named 47s were not too uncommon north of York on SW/NE services in the 1960s.

Also, I have a steam video which shows a named 47 in the sidings somewhere near New Mills, while an 8F is doing some shunting of empty coal wagons.

• Like 1

Cardiff to Newcastle makes a lot of sense.

J0850 is our old friend 1E79; the 1200 Newcastle to Lincoln strangely with a Deltic in charge (that presumably came off at Doncaster), and in J1216  1A31 was the 1200 Edinburgh to Kings Cross.

• RMweb Gold

Cardiff to Newcastle makes a lot of sense.

J0850 is our old friend 1E79; the 1200 Newcastle to Lincoln strangely with a Deltic in charge (that presumably came off at Doncaster), and in J1216  1A31 was the 1200 Edinburgh to Kings Cross.

Thanks again, I've added the information to the captions.

David

• RMweb Premium

Cyclops from Llandore then probably? Can't be bothered to go into the loft to access the relevant Loco Shed book.....sorry. Info probably available on here somewhere anyway.

I can remember being at Reading and seeing most of these 'namers'.  I also remember seeing 47s being built at Crewe in 1963 along with some 25s!  Those were the days. Who would have thought that the 'Duffs' would become legendary. There are some that lurk around 36A these days. Heavily modified but beautifully restored and used for some freight stuff locally. 

Boring I know but when I lived in Wellingborough in the 70s I needed 4 Class 47s. One evening, in two hours, 3 of those turned up including a Stratford machine*! My last was a Gateshead loco 47525 which I saw a few months later at that vert Depot.* I should have bought a lottery ticket that evening.....but it hadn't been invented :mail:

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

I know in the mid 1960s Modern Railways in particular, often reported sightings of Brush Type 4s off region. As someone who grew up watching trains in the 1970s, this seems to me wholly unremarkable. There were over 400 boiler fitted locos - surely getting all over the place was part of why they were orderd in the first place?

Cyclops from Llandore then probably? Can't be bothered to go into the loft to access the relevant Loco Shed book.....sorry. Info probably available on here somewhere anyway.

I can remember being at Reading and seeing most of these 'namers'.  I also remember seeing 47s being built at Crewe in 1963 along with some 25s!  Those were the days. Who would have thought that the 'Duffs' would become legendary. There are some that lurk around 36A these days. Heavily modified but beautifully restored and used for some freight stuff locally. 

Boring I know but when I lived in Wellingborough in the 70s I needed 4 Class 47s. One evening, in two hours, 3 of those turned up including a Stratford machine*! My last was a Gateshead loco 47525 which I saw a few months later at that vert Depot.* I should have bought a lottery ticket that evening.....but it hadn't been invented :mail:

Phil

It is always the same, someones last of the class is always such a regular sighting for somebody else that they wish it would go away.

47525 eh? Or in my mind D1108.

I suppose that living near the Midland would preclude the regular sightings of the ECML locos which were common to us further east.

My last was 47211, or D1861 in old money. It spent its first years in the Crewe/Stoke area, but eventually migrated to Scotland for a lengthy stay and also to avoid me seeing it on my irregular visits there, no doubt. Once that I discovered it had been transferred south to Tinsley, I resolved to visit Sheffield on a more regular basis but living near Cardiff made that a very expensive proposition for one loco sighting.

Imagine my disbelief one day while sitting on Cardiff station taking a few photos when "just another 47" came off Canton and ran east through the station on the through line, turned out to be 47211. After all the hopeful journeys far and wide trying to see it, and in the end it came to me.

D1108?  I saw that in Aug 1967 and then at regular intervals from then on. I had a day trip to Crewe in 1969 and guess what was there? D1108 - it must have been following me around.

• Like 2

I remember needing 45020 and 45110 to finish off the Peaks.

One May evening in 1974, I sat beside the line just south of Ratcliffe power station, and saw both within five minutes.

• Like 4

I remember needing 45020 and 45110 to finish off the Peaks.

One May evening in 1974, I sat beside the line just south of Ratcliffe power station, and saw both within five minutes.

45070 was my last Peak & it took me YEARS to finally track the damn thing down. Ironically, though, after spending a large proportion of my spotting days in prime Peak territory around Sheffield, Derby, Nottingham, Leicester, etc., I finally saw it ambling through my home-town of Lincoln while I was waiting for the train home from work... :swoon:

• Like 1

Sorry to be somewhat O/T to David's excellent photos, but I have been perusing the Lincoln area WTTs and discovered why the 1200 from Newcastle (1E79 pictured earlier, but 1E46 in the 1966 timetable) terminated at Lincoln except between June and September when it was extended to Colchester.

The arrival of 1E79/1E46 at Lincoln was only about half an hour ahead of the up Manchester to Harwich boat train's station stop, and presumably the passenger numbers for much of the year were such that a connection could be made onto this latter train for those travelling to East Anglia.

Similarly, the down service (1N48 through both years) in the late morning at 1142 from Lincoln, left 20 minutes after the Harwich to Manchester service.

There were also a number of local services to Boston and also to Skegness which made reasonable connections with these long distance trains.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I really like the Ffestiniog photo's from April 19th, 1986. How incredible to have a 17 coach train over the Ffestiniog line!

The photo's of the Llandudno Junction to Blaenau Ffestiniog and Trawsfynnedd are true gems. It seems C5725 and C5728 were taken on the same day at Dalwyddelan in July, 1982, of the class 120 DMU.  Excellent scenery, and a great railway.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

As usual the loco numbers may be right!

attachicon.gifPilmoor Class 55 D9019 up ex pass April 67 J0850.jpg

Pilmoor Class 55 D9019 up ex pass Newcastle to Lincoln April 67 J0850

David

From the position of the lettering on the nameplate J0850 is D9021. D9019 has 'Royal' on the top line with 'Highland Fusilier' underneath.

45070 was my last Peak & it took me YEARS to finally track the damn thing down. Ironically, though, after spending a large proportion of my spotting days in prime Peak territory around Sheffield, Derby, Nottingham, Leicester, etc., I finally saw it ambling through my home-town of Lincoln while I was waiting for the train home from work... :swoon:

45070 was the last 45/0 I had for haulage. A pleasant surprise as it turned up at BNS on an afternoon Bristol - York (I think) which should by diagram have been Scotrail liveried 47461.

• Like 1

Imagine my disbelief one day while sitting on Cardiff station taking a few photos when "just another 47" came off Canton and ran east through the station on the through line, turned out to be 47211. After all the hopeful journeys far and wide trying to see it, and in the end it came to me.

D1108?  I saw that in Aug 1967 and then at regular intervals from then on. I had a day trip to Crewe in 1969 and guess what was there? D1108 - it must have been following me around.

D1108 ? - copped it at Canton, not long after it was delivered - boy did I have one over on the others !!

Cleared my 47s (47521) years after giving up travelling across the country and taking numbers, sat in my car one day at St.Fagans Level Crossing, a mile from the house......................

Brian R

• Like 1

Nice to see your pics. from my branch David.

Here is your train arriving at Blaenau, I remember that day well for the horrendous rain (very unusual)  Yes the longest train I have ever seen there since 1982.

Merf.

post-1625-0-37453100-1430757664_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for more excellent photo's Dave!

In the Dolwyddelan photo C5725, is that a Hudson Hunslet on the platform?

Yes, I believe it is, placed there to publicise the museum - Gloddfa Ganol I think at Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Nice to see your pics. from my branch David.

Here is your train arriving at Blaenau, I remember that day well for the horrendous rain (very unusual)  Yes the longest train I have ever seen there since 1982.

Merf.

Thanks very much, I've often wondered what the train looked like from the lineside.

David

Many thanks for those photos of Selby, and the Trans Pennine Unit.

Many hours spent at Selby Railway Station as a boy trainspotting, and seeing then by then blue Class 124 Trans Pennines pass past our school field.

I even remember the day a couple of blokes were late out of the bar for a train setting off across the bridge, one leaving the carriage door open for the other, who didn't get to it, and the door being half pulled off as it hit the bridge. The ECML was then blacked for an hour while they tried to make the carriage and door safe.

This thread is such a lovely visit each day to see the images you share. Have you ever thought of publishing a book, or books, of your archive? Or perhaps making some sets for sale as PDFs, or similar. I am sure there would be many takers.

I know, somethimes it is more fuss than it is worth, but many thanks for sharing the images here.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. These photo's are not so far from where I live in Beverley! Really have enjoyed seeing them, and of course things have changed over the years. In J1073, of the class 124 at Selby, August, 1967, the tracks have been reduced to two from Leeds and no loop line, and no sidings in the foreground. The lines to Doncaster are just two tracks again after the junction, not forgetting that only the platform lines remain through Selby station itself. Also no lovely 124's!

In C14621 at Ferriby, there is, interestingly, no change to the station or surroundings, only no longer is Hull and the East Riding served by class 156's, which I think were transferred  to Newcastle in c2008.

In J645 at Hessle, the bridge in the background, which is the station footbridge, is unchanged, but you have the Clive Sullivan Way on the left of the photo' and somewhere in the foreground is one of the new pedestrian footbridges. The DMU is, correctly, described as Class 111, but also has a class 104 TBSL as the third car. Finally at this location there are, again, just two tracks remaining.

In C24929, at Hull Paragon, on 22nd July, 2000, there is a reminder of three car 158's and 144's. No longer do we have three car 158's at Hull, and platform 2 is, mainly, for the use of Hull Trains London KX services.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi LNERGE. I think that the photo' was taken before the work on the swing bridge. Is there a date for the photo'?

All the best,

Market65.

P.S. In photo' C24929 at Hull Paragon station, I've just noticed that the class 158 is unit 158809 rather than 158801.