RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Any idea if the Tube wagons in C1952 are internal users? I would think quite a late date for unfitted ones in revenue earning service with BR.

I'm not sure and I can't get any more details from the image scan as I have enlarged it up from a small part of a slide.

I think I took the photo from a train going past the works, so it wasn't all that sharp to start with either.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

That industrial looks more like a Hudswell-Clarke than a Fowler to me?  Do you have any more photos of it so I can drool over examine them to see if I can make an ID, please?

Many thanks for your comment, reading your post reminded me that I have a 1979 copy of  the Industrial Railways Society Handbook.

According to them the loco at West Horndon (Brown and Tawse Tubes Ltd) was a Ruston Hornsby, 373359 of 1958 and was out of use in 1979.

That might also explain the tube wagons in the photo.

I've altered my caption under the photo.

David

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for your comment, reading your post reminded me that I have a 1979 copy of  the Industrial Railways Society Handbook.

According to them the loco at West Horndon (Brown and Tawse Tubes Ltd) was a Ruston Hornsby, 373359 of 1958 and was out of use in 1979.

David

Ummm....Rustons usually have rectangular cab windows, I still think it might be a Hudswell!  Quite happy to be proven wrong of course, I'm no expert but I do like my industrials!

Please keep up the great work in posting these photos though, this thread is a goldmine.  I'm not much interested in the modern scene as a rule, but your photos in the north east always interest me as I'm an ex-pat South Shields lad!  Something for everyone on here, regardless of interest, it's just fantastic that you take the time to post them, thank you.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Like the L.T.&S.R. photo's. The railway is shown in it's everyday glory here with the class 302 EMU's going about their work in an unsung way.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

I smell a rat with them diagrams.. Weedon No2 55? signal shows a sub signal on a left hand bracket..

http://s-r-s.org.uk/html/lmsr/M21.gif

Next door shows nothing...

http://s-r-s.org.uk/html/lmsr/M22.gif

It looks like the "aux" has been drawn on a separate head, rather than combined in the head with the main Y/G (aux for those not in the know is a yellow that comes on if the other filaments fail to try and ensure the signal stays lit)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

David

Definitely a Hudswell, looks like an 0-4-0DM with the gearbox at the front.

From the 1976 Handbook and Locomotives of the Ministry of Defence.

It was HC D610 of 1939, new to the Air Ministry 01/1939 as AMW146, sold to T Mitchell (dealers), Bolton in 1964 and onward to Brown & Tawse, scrapped 12/1977.

An 0-4-0 DM with a 150hp Davey-Paxman PR8RWT engine.

Cheers,

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

That industrial looks more like a Hudswell-Clarke than a Fowler to me?  Do you have any more photos of it so I can drool over examine them to see if I can make an ID, please?

Hi Neil

I agree, it has the Hudswell looking cab and what appears to be the piano lid gear box cover in front of the radiator. Its fly-crank drive is at the front, another common Hudswell feature.

• RMweb Premium

Tonight's OLE gem is a overlap combined with a power feed in C2167.

The flat roof building is the switching equipment room.

I did put a link in which I hoped would taken you to Bing maps birds eye view but it only took me to the opening map of Britain.

So I went google and here is what the little yellow man saw.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.498948,0.421277,3a,75y,119.87h,91.05t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sozGbpNimz1iP-fsUYkQobw!2e0!6m1!1e1

Looking at both Google and Bing's recent aerial photos the building seems to have now gone.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

From the 1976 Handbook and Locomotives of the Ministry of Defence.

It was HC D610 of 1939, new to the Air Ministry 01/1939 as AMW146, sold to T Mitchell (dealers), Bolton in 1964 and onward to Brown & Tawse, scrapped 12/1977.

An 0-4-0 DM with a 150hp Davey-Paxman PR8RWT engine.

Cheers,

Andy.

Many thanks for identifying the loco, the one in m1979 IRS Handbook must have been its replacement.  I've altered the caption (again).

Tonight's OLE gem is a overlap combined with a power feed in C2167.

The flat roof building is the switching equipment room.

I did put a link in which I hoped would taken you to Bing maps birds eye view but it only took me to the opening map of Britain.

So I went google and here is what the little yellow man saw.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.498948,0.421277,3a,75y,119.87h,91.05t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sozGbpNimz1iP-fsUYkQobw!2e0!6m1!1e1

Looking at both Google and Bing's recent aerial photos the building seems to have now gone.

I've looked at that photo many times and never noticed the overlap and power feed, many thanks for the information.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Swayfield photo's. C968 of '47' 1522, in May '72, if correct, is a train that I and my parents could have been travelling on from K.X. Many happy memories.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

1S35 is the 14:00 KX-Edinburgh

1N18 is the 15:00 KX-Newcastle

C717 would be the ThFSO 12:00 Edinburgh-KX with the extra Mk2a TSO at the front

1D08 is the 16:15 KX-Cleethorpes

Hi Mark54.

Thanks very much for identifying the trains, I've added the information to the captions.

David

KX-Cleethorpes with ten or eleven on.

Those were the days. We even got the Deltics for a while in their twilight years.

NOW we travel to Donny and change onto an overcrowded 9 car set........with no seat unless pre-booked. And not that much quicker, although ten times the price....progress, eh?

• RMweb Premium

Good snow clouds in the first pic C713. I'm too old to remember if it was a snowy Jan in 70 and I lived in Redhill so it could have been really sunny and warm that far south :sarcastichand:

I'm also so old I consider Deltics to be quite new.........

P

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some excellent photo's have been posted this evening of Bristol Temple Meads. In J5854, November, 1977, I see that 47512 has the left-hand lamp bracket missing. The last photo', C12117, is a delightful view of the station from the roadway.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

What a station.........pity the inside included that hideous, corrugated bridge thingy; is that still there? Great shots again

Just where the two 50s are I once saw Bristol B Road's two  Patriots (original style). That would have been about 1962 when I was on a Plymouth Newcastle overnight (mails?) 

Anyway, I believe they almost exclusively worked night time mails/parcels to the midlands. 

Bristol was brilliant for us janners as there was Midland engines there. Had to save up for ages to afford to go there though (1963 and 64) but it did come within West Country Rover tickets AFAIR.

Phil

What a station.........pity the inside included that hideous, corrugated bridge thingy; is that still there? Great shots again

Just where the two 50s are I once saw Bristol B Road's two  Patriots (original style). That would have been about 1962 when I was on a Plymouth Newcastle overnight (mails?) 

Anyway, I believe they almost exclusively worked night time mails/parcels to the midlands. 

Bristol was brilliant for us janners as there was Midland engines there. Had to save up for ages to afford to go there though (1963 and 64) but it did come within West Country Rover tickets AFAIR.

Phil

The parcels bridge was demolished fairly recently; I remember taking trolleys of mail across it when I worked on the Christmas Post there, back in 1974.