Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Going back to the hoppers in C3604, are they actually HKV/HJV iron ore hoppers, also used for sand and stuff like that?

They are 'Iron Ore' hoppers, I believe of the HKV version. They could have been on one of several traffics:-

Glass-making sand

Stone of some sort, either as aggregate, flux for the steel industry, or 'sugar stone' for sugar beet refineries

Iron ore to somewhere like Stanton and Staveley.

A visit to Chester in May 1972 today.  

Some of the photo have been on RMWeb in a previous thread some years ago, showing the aftermath of the accident on 8th May.  A couple have also been used in a book on railway accidents.  Details of the accident can be found at:

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/eventsummary.php?eventID=452

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester_General_rail_crash

The first one contains a link to the official report.

I hadn't known about the accident when I set out, as a student I rarely read the newspapers or listened to the news - and of course in those days students didn't have televisions.  There were a few people there watching the clear up operation, including a young woman who had set up her easel and was doing a painting - I wonder what happened to it?

As it was May 1972 I must have decided on a day out on a Saturday as a break from working for my PGCE (teaching qualification) which I did in 1971-2 after completing my degree in 1971.

attachicon.gifChester dmu coach on platform, Class 24 5028 behind May 72 C0929.jpg

Chester dmu coach on platform, Class 24 5028 behind May 72 C0929

attachicon.gifChester Class 103 on right to Crewe on left Class 108 from Manchester May 1972 C0930.jpg

Chester Class 103 on right to Crewe on left Class 108 from Manchester May 1972 C0930

attachicon.gifChester Class 101 Crewe to Bangor May 72 C933.jpg

Chester Class 101 Crewe to Bangor May 72 C933

attachicon.gifChester damaged dmu and hole in wall of station buffet May 72 C934.jpg

Chester damaged dmu and hole in wall of station buffet May 72 C934

attachicon.gifChester Class 103 Rhyl to Manchester May 72 C935.jpg

Chester Class 103 Rhyl to Manchester May 72 C935

attachicon.gifChester Class 40 and 25 dragging Class 24 clear May 72 C0936.jpg

Chester Class 40 and 25 dragging Class 24 clear May 72 C0936

David

Amazing. I've seen quite a few pictures of this crash but not from the same viewpoint as this. The ensuing gap in the station canopy on what is now platforms 4,5,6 and 7 has still not been repaired..

Cheers

JF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some quite sombre photo's of the remains of that crash there. They do provide a form of an historical record of the way the DMU coach ended up on that platform. But it is all very sombre. Accidents must not happen, and it is grim when they do.

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photo's. I see there are more concrete sleepers to be seen in J2149 at Allington Junction.  Good to see some buses in the last photo'.

With best regards,

Rob.

That's part of the old Broad March bus station at Nottingham.

J1404: unusual location for number and double-arrow symbol on a class 20?

Bill

The only 20 in with the number and double arrow in that position that fits the bill for that period in D8032, which came down from Scotland (64B) to D16 Nottingham division in July 68 before being reallocated to Stratford (30A) in September 68, where it stayed until May 71. So it is probably D8032 and would fit into it being a Nottingham division allocation at that location, shortly before moving down to Stratford.

Paul J.

The only 20 in with the number and double arrow in that position that fits the bill for that period in D8032, which came down from Scotland (64B) to D16 Nottingham division in July 68 before being reallocated to Stratford (30A) in September 68, where it stayed until May 71. So it is probably D8032 and would fit into it being a Nottingham division allocation at that location, shortly before moving down to Stratford.

Paul J.

More quality photos Dave, especially from my local patch!

D8034 was the same when painted in 1969 at Inverurie Works, but as Swindon 123 says, its D8032 when you look at the photo full size.

D8034:

https://flickr.com/photos/69838920@N04/8162024417/

The photo at Bingham has changed by all recognition. The signal box from which the photo was taken closed for the last time on Friday 27th November 2015 along with Bottesford West 'box. Signalling moved to Derby IECC (Netherfield Panel). The semaphore was moved back approx 100 yards not long after the photo was taken until being replaced all together by a colour-light signal as a part of the recent resignalling scheme.

Edited by B Exam

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Thank you for posting the photo's of the Foxfield Railway, and also those of the GEML. I especially like C2828 at Rivenhall End in July, 1976, which has a 'powerful' shot of 31177. A delightful photo'.

With best regards,

Rob.

That's part of the old Broad March bus station at Nottingham.

Used to go there with my mother to get the bus to Clifton to see my stepsister. Remember vividly seeing a 9F come rumbling over the viaduct, still at a fair pace, with (apparently) no train in tow. Followed some time later by a solitary brake van, train was all flat wagons hidden behind the parapet.

Can't tell for sure whether the NCT bus is a Daimler Fleetline or Leyland Atlantean, can you read the fleet number above the door on the original scan?

• RMweb Gold

Used to go there with my mother to get the bus to Clifton to see my stepsister. Remember vividly seeing a 9F come rumbling over the viaduct, still at a fair pace, with (apparently) no train in tow. Followed some time later by a solitary brake van, train was all flat wagons hidden behind the parapet.

Can't tell for sure whether the NCT bus is a Daimler Fleetline or Leyland Atlantean, can you read the fleet number above the door on the original scan?

The number is just too small - there isn't a note of it in Dad's catalogue so he probably couldn't read it on the original slide.

David

Was the photo of Chelmsford railway station taken from the bus station? The position of the pub opposite suggests it was but it is years since I saw this area and my mother who still uses buses in and out of Chlemsford says there have been major changes.