Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Hi Dave,

Excellent photos as usual. C2278 is my local station at Sleaford with a Cravens class 105. Date probably pre 75. Not much has changed, where the photo is taken from there is now a low brick building, I think associated with the resignallling of the line. There is now a permanent way yard in the sidings to the left of the picture and where the wagons are in the left distance has recently been turned into a car park. There aren't many photos of Sleaford on the internet of this era, so it would be nice to see some more.

Merry Christmas, Ian

Merry Christmas Dave ;) 

C771 is Bromsgrove looking up the bank towards Vigo and Blackwell. Last time I saw that view I was in notch 8 with a ballast job hoping to get to the top at 20mph!

C1525 looks like the old East Lancs bays at Preston, and the DMUs will be going to, er.... somewhere in East Lancs...! (cracking shot by the way, lovely).

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid I gave nothing to add but to wish Dave and the readers of this post a merry Christmas. I haven't been well this year and this has been a bright spot on some dark days

Thanks Dave

• RMweb Gold

Today's second set are Woodhead route electrics once again.

attachicon.gifa Woodhead Class 77 (EM2) 27000 Electra Manchester to Marylebone Nov 63 J076.jpg

Woodhead Class 77 (EM2) 27000 Electra Manchester to Marylebone Nov 63 J076

attachicon.gifa Woodhead 76003 and another eastbound empty mgr April 80 J6871.jpg

Woodhead 76003 and another eastbound empty mgr April 80 J6871

attachicon.gifa Woodhead 76015 and another westbound mgr April 80 J6870.jpg

Woodhead 76015 and another westbound mgr April 80 J6870

attachicon.gifa Woodhead Class 76 westbound coal April 80 C5001.jpg

Woodhead Class 76 westbound coal April 80 C5001

attachicon.gifbb Torside Class 76 (EM1) 26000 Tommy westbound coal Nov 63 J079.jpg

Torside Class 76 (EM1) 26000 Tommy westbound coal Nov 63 J079

David

NURSE!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A Merry Christmas.

What lovely photo's of the Keighley and Worth Valley railway. They capture those pioneering days so perfectly. As always, interesting to see 41241 in 'red'.

The photo's of the Woodhead line are so inspirational, and it was a great shame when it was closed down.

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed! Is the first one actually at Woodhead? In the first KWVR photo, interesting to see the works of Dean Smith & Grace, superb machine tollmakers

It really is at Woodhead, taken from the extreme western end of the platform - there are some photos on the web showing the building and the catenary. The loco in the first shot is in approximately the position of the second or third wagon in the second photo.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Indeed! Is the first one actually at Woodhead? In the first KWVR photo, interesting to see the works of Dean Smith & Grace, superb machine tollmakers

Yup - we had some BIG DSG lathes at marine college - superb machines.

I was hoping the 'ugly' would be 62 - my friend and now boss used to own it.

Pardon my ignorance but I've noticed in the electric pics that the Woodhead engines always seem to have both pans up whereas WCML engines only have one up (or even only one pan per engine). Is there any special reason for this?

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

Pardon my ignorance but I've noticed in the electric pics that the Woodhead engines always seem to have both pans up whereas WCML engines only have one up (or even only one pan per engine). Is there any special reason for this?

Cheers,

David

Yes, the Woodhead is 1500 volts DC whereas the WCML is 25000 volts AC,

The lower voltage requires a much higher current to carry the same amount of power and so two pans are used as one sliding contact cannot reliably carry the power needed. A single pan would be able to draw sufficient current on starting to melt the wire and break it!

Andi