Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

More fantastic images, thank you for taking the time to post these everyday.

What an odd bit of track work in J6893. It looks like some sort of switched crossing, not a slip of anykind. I wonder why they needed to use this instead of a normal crossing?

David

Switched diamonds like this one were relatively common; presumably to reduce the number of common crossings that might wear out . They must have been around in the 1950s, as I remember having a fibre-sleepered Wrenn one.

• RMweb Gold

Switched diamonds like this one were relatively common; presumably to reduce the number of common crossings that might wear out . They must have been around in the 1950s, as I remember having a fibre-sleepered Wrenn one.

Switch diamonds were used depending on the crossing angle. Anything flatter than 1 in 8 normally had them. I have a picture in a book from c1943 showing the remodelling of Landsown Junction at Cheltenham with at least two sets.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Lovely photos of Petts Wood and St. Mary Cray. So good to see trains, in this case SR EMU's going about their unsung everyday work.

There was a switch diamond at Beverley North Junction between the line to Driffield and the line to Market Weighton. I understand it dated from at least the 1940's.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Nice touch for modelling to be found in J540 with the white patch on the bridge for the signal.

Cheers,

David

Already done!!

F0BF8030-15C7-415A-A5F2-F6ADD26D50B7_zps

Great photos as always dave

Cheers

Ben

• Like 7

Great photographs as usual. As a comparison to C7906 here is one I took in May 2005 after the line was realigned to the west of the station.

13904825579_93a2d1d4da_c.jpg

Jim

Why did they realign? It looks like they introduced a reverse curve?

• RMweb Premium

As a quick aside, was there any rhyme or reason as to which MGR flows used the HAAs with canopies?

From the pics above there's a couple of complete rakes with them, but then there's another without. I recall in a book the mention that the canopies were a particularly Scottish thing - did it allow a slightly greater payload or was it more to do with the loaders at particular pits?

great pics though, Dave - the Railfreight livery seemed to suit the 26s

These MGRs 26s also seemed to punch above their weight, hauling these trains without much fuss.

Also just noticed that 002 and 007 have lost their oval buffers and leaf springing, presumably as spares became available they were brought into line with the rest of the 26s to simplify maintenance

Edited by keefer

As a quick aside, was there any rhyme or reason as to which MGR flows used the HAAs with canopies?

From the pics above there's a couple of complete rakes with them, but then there's another without. I recall in a book the mention that the canopies were a particularly Scottish thing - did it allow a slightly greater payload or was it more to do with the loaders at particular pits?

They only fitted under the screens at a limited number of pits, so they were confined to pits with purpose built loading hoppers, and to sites where mechanical excavators were used for loading (though the latter knocked seven bells out of them). They gave an increase in capacity from 26 to 32 tonnes; more importantly, perhaps, they reduced the 'blow-off' of dust when running at speed. Scotland did seem to have most of the canopy-fitted wagons in early days; though there was a second wave of canopy fitting in later years, perhaps due to there being more long-distance hauls.

• RMweb Gold

Some more nice photos David, but I'm afraid J246 Harrogate Class 104 Manchester to Harrogate Aug 65  isn't a 104. Its a bit of a mongrel with the leading vehicle a 108 DMC with the other 3 cars part of a 4 car Met-Cam 101. 

Paul J.

Thanks Paul,

Now I've looked at the image more carefully it is a bit obvious that I'd got it wrong!

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What really lovely and nostalgic photo's of the railway running through The Stray, Harrogate. In that first photo, I think the class 108 DMCL will be standing in for a, probably, failed class 101 car.

The photo of the Black 5 on a train to Kings Cross is very typical of how the winters went back in the '60's. Very cold and very snowy.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Red numberplate on the loco in J431? I thought that was an LMS thing. And there seems to be something written on the buffer beam.

Jonathan

The bufferbeam word is "York".

It seems to have been something that "just happened" in the last days of steam.

David

Some more nice photos David, but I'm afraid J246 Harrogate Class 104 Manchester to Harrogate Aug 65  isn't a 104. Its a bit of a mongrel with the leading vehicle a 108 DMC with the other 3 cars part of a 4 car Met-Cam 101. 

Paul J.

It also looks like a model scene, well it does to me.

On the topic of HAAs, the ones fitted with top canopies were restricted to Scotland with the pits with modified loading screens to take them. The actual payload carried was 32 tons on both versions. The capacity was lower in volume without, but it was found that when loaded with the coal heaped the tons carried came out the same. The tops were fitted to lots of hoppers when they started running Anglo Scottish flows, to reduce blow off.

Some photos from visits made by Dad to Rugby, I think I may have been with him when he took the two with trains in them.  The only information I have about these photos is in the captions.

attachicon.gifa_Rugby Class 83 E3025 Euston to Liverpool Lime St March 67_J818.jpg

Rugby Class 83 E3025 Euston to Liverpool Lime St March 67 J818

attachicon.gifa_Rugby Class 86 E3156 up oil empties Rowley regis to Thameshaven March 67_J819.jpg

Rugby Class 86 E3156 up oil empties Rowley Regis (?) to Thameshaven March 67 J819

attachicon.gifb_Rugby MR viaduct over A426 May 71_J2644.jpg

Rugby MR viaduct over A426 May 71 J2644

attachicon.gifb_Rugby GCR bridge over A5 May 71_J2645.jpg

Rugby GCR bridge over A5 May 71 J2645

attachicon.gife_Clifton_Mill_LNWR Rugby to Peterborough branch of LNWR April 71_J2647.jpg

Clifton Mill LNWR Rugby to Peterborough branch of LNWR April 71 J2647

attachicon.gifc_Rugby_Central remains of GCR station May 71_J2649.jpg

Rugby Central remains of GCR station May 71 J2649

David

David,

That last picture leaves me very angry at the lack of strategic vision at the time - what a waste! It's easy to rip up the infrastructure, but putting any of it back costs a mint.

Sorry for the outburst.

Regards,

Roy