Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Thornaby, a real Depot. I liked the almost redundant when built Roundhouse (1958/9 finished I think?)

On visiting there some time in the late 70s, on approach in the Shed bash Coach passing under a railway bridge, some bloke fell or was thrown down the embankment from a DMU just after passing over the bridge. friendly sort of place I thought.

P

• RMweb Gold

Southernman46, on 24 Mar 2016 - 18:37, said:snapback.png

and a completely freight stock red 12t van in J316 ???? - might just be my eyes though

It's my eyes aswell then as the definatly looks red, not bauxite.

It is a (fairly) newly repainted van in bauxite.  

Never trust old colour slide film, especially Agfa (which this was) to give accurate colours.

Removal of an overall green colour cast has not helped with the things which should look brown.

David

Great set of photo's again,J316, I noticed that the chimney on the signal box is a bit on the lean, great set of photo's,thank you for sharing them with us.

Edited by darren01

Great set of photo's again,J316, I noticed that the chimney on the signal box is a bit on the lean, great set of photo's,thank you for sharing them with us.

In fact, the whole box looks like it's leaning backwards...

There are some hefty-looking traffic notices pasted to the side of the plywood SR van, too.

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What truly excellent photo's of lovely York station. In the second one, the train is comprised of the following vehicles:

BR CCT,

BR Mk1 BG,

Ex SR PMV or CCT,

Collet BG,

Gresley BG.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

The Maroon Mark II FK is a Mark II (later Mark IIz under TOPS) as it has the Mark I-style window ventilators. Possibly one of E13361-78 series. The windows on the Mark IIa (introduced 1968) had the single-pane sliding ventilator.

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Gold

Very nice pics Dave - I don't know the area, but do any of these structures still survive today.

Cheers, Bob.

I haven't been to any of these places for many years so I'm not sure.

I'm sure other people here will know, or else Google earth may prove helpful.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photos of Yorkshire. The Pateley Bridge branch used to have a G5 and an ex-NER BC working it in pull and push mode for many years right up to closure. However without either going or looking it up in Google Earth I don't know which, if any, of the structures remain.

I have been at the York Model Railway Exhibition today, and there were plenty of people there who almost certainly would know the answer.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited to insert missing words!

Edited by Market65

• RMweb Premium

Lovely pics of Pateley, strange and kind of eerie to see a station so complete structurally yet completely devoid of all the ironmongery that made it work.

I wonder if anyone's ever modelled that? - a model railway with no railway!

How funny was in Pateley yesterday myself, all that survives really is station building, the footpath n wall by the river show where the railway ran and you can see the trackbed all through Nidderdale back to Harrogate and even cycle from Ripley back to town now.

Did you get any more from the Pateley branch Dave?

Cheers

James

How funny was in Pateley yesterday myself, all that survives really is station building, the footpath n wall by the river show where the railway ran and you can see the trackbed all through Nidderdale back to Harrogate and even cycle from Ripley back to town now.

Cheers

James

Yes, I've walked a few miles eastwards from Pateley Bridge while visiting friends there. The trackbed is still very visible in places.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers

James

I had a few black and white negatives but sold them years ago.  I think I was standing next to Dad when I took them.  There are only the three I've posted noted  in his catalogue.  I think we went there to get a few record shots as the family moved back to the Midlands a few months later and I went off to be a student in Manchester.

David

Edited by DaveF

I had a few black and white negatives but sold them years ago. I think I was standing next to Dad when I took them. There are only the three I've posted noted in his catalogue. I think we went there to get a few record shots as the family moved back to the Midlands a few months later and I went off to be a student in Manchester.

David

Thanks Dave, they are great record shots, you may have been the last person to capture the signal box before demolition which i think was just after your visit.

As always, keep these great posts coming, never tire of dropping and seeing where and when you have been in that time machine of yours!

Cheers

James

• RMweb Premium

Lovely pics of Pateley, strange and kind of eerie to see a station so complete structurally yet completely devoid of all the ironmongery that made it work.

I wonder if anyone's ever modelled that? - a model railway with no railway!

So trueKeefer.

In 1965/6 I was still at school (yes honestly) and that was next to Devonport Kings Road (LSWR). It was as if one day everything was in place at this lovely station and yard with some little loco busying itself with shunting and a Pacific stopping on the Exeter local and then,suddenly, some mates and myself were doing a 'cross country run' from that station, through the various tunnels, heading north west towards St Budeaux on 'bare ballast'. That situation (apart from the X Country running maybe) was happening all over Britain around then and within a few years so much was just gone forever. Sad days.

Great pics Dave, the memories just keep coming.

Sincerely,

Phil

• Like 1