Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Keep posting from Swayfield as often as you like, David. Those fabulous shots remind me of my time in the area around 1970-75! The first one of the Deltic (C773) is a beautiful shot, with the lineside crew watching on.

C773 could well be 9001, although it's difficult to find anything specific to identify that loco apart from the length of the nameplate. 9001 worked 1A11 (the 08:10 Newcastle - King's Cross) on both the 17th and 31st December 1971, at least.

C1455, the 47 on 1D02. Doncaster division headcodes used to cover the Grimsby/Cleethorpes trains. However, somewhere around that time the use of 'H' for Hull trains was dropped and they too became 'D' codes.

C1610, the 47 on 1E17. This used to be the up "Aberdonian", the 10:35 from Aberdeen. Usually a Deltic turn. There were a few shuffles of diagrams and headcodes around that time, though, so without consulting a WTT I can't be 100% certain. Unfortunately, I was hospitalised for several months at that time, so I don't have much in the way of detailed records for 1974.

• RMweb Gold

Keep posting from Swayfield as often as you like, David. Those fabulous shots remind me of my time in the area around 1970-75! The first one of the Deltic (C773) is a beautiful shot, with the lineside crew watching on.

C773 could well be 9001, although it's difficult to find anything specific to identify that loco apart from the length of the nameplate. 9001 worked 1A11 (the 08:10 Newcastle - King's Cross) on both the 17th and 31st December 1971, at least.

C1455, the 47 on 1D02. Doncaster division headcodes used to cover the Grimsby/Cleethorpes trains. However, somewhere around that time the use of 'H' for Hull trains was dropped and they too became 'D' codes.

C1610, the 47 on 1E17. This used to be the up "Aberdonian", the 10:35 from Aberdeen. Usually a Deltic turn. There were a few shuffles of diagrams and headcodes around that time, though, so without consulting a WTT I can't be 100% certain. Unfortunately, I was hospitalised for several months at that time, so I don't have much in the way of detailed records for 1974.

Many thanks for the information.

David

C2970 is a lovely portrait of a van that has obviously had the number and type recently painted, but not in the nominally standard 'Post-1964' boxed style, some 12 years after this was introduced. I have seen other such vehicles, bearing a TOPS code, with no 'box' evident.

It also looks like it's a repair job as well. The planks on the newly painted area do not match up with the other side. There seems to be a small new plank plank at the bottom followed by 4 planks and then a half plank at the top.Anything lying around spare when it came to the paint colour and stenciled numbers.

Paul J.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Had a look on napier-chronicles WTTs and 1D02 in Jan '74 is given as 12.20 KX-Cleethorpes (SuX) (or 02.00 KX-Grantham!): http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/wtt73-74.htm

1E17 in May '74 is given as 10.45 Abdn-KX 'Aberdonian' (SuX) or the 10.15 Abdn-KX (SuO): http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/wtt74-75.htm

It also looks like it's a repair job as well. The planks on the newly painted area do not match up with the other side. There seems to be a small new plank plank at the bottom followed by 4 planks and then a half plank at the top.Anything lying around spare when it came to the paint colour and stenciled numbers.

Paul J.

For the record, this van was built at Wolverton in 1957 under Lot 2841.    How common were screw couplings on vans?

Bill

• RMweb Premium

For the record, this van was built at Wolverton in 1957 under Lot 2841.    How common were screw couplings on vans?

Bill

Hi Bill

The couplings depended on the Lot, Paul Bartlet's photos indicate Lot 2841 had screw couplings.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the photos if the Kyle Of Lochalsh line. As you said there is plenty of detail in them for model making. It would be interesting to see that avalanche shelter modelled.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

C2970 is a lovely portrait of a van that has obviously had the number and type recently painted, but not in the nominally standard 'Post-1964' boxed style, some 12 years after this was introduced. I have seen other such vehicles, bearing a TOPS code, with no 'box' evident.

It also has the original orange freight stock red on the door.

Paul

Thanks for the photos of Stratford, David.

We’ll never see the likes of another Stratford ever again in the UK...

What the heck does the area look like now (I haven’t been back since the Olympics)?

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photos of Thornaby and Tees Yard. I like 37 193 in blue. And then the locos to be seen in 21379 and 21380. You don't see locos like that anymore!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,Dave. Excellent photos of the WCML. I agree about BR blue being better than the later schemes.

Interesting to see you taking photos. People were better dressed back then than they are now.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi,Dave. Excellent photos of the WCML. I agree about BR blue being better than the later schemes.

Interesting to see you taking photos. People were better dressed back then than they are now.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

An old girlfriend told me she could always pick out the ex-grammar-school boys amongst newly-arrived first-year students; they were the ones in sports jackets. I added that we always had a worried expression, as we didn't know if someone would report us to our mothers if we slackened the knots on our ties.

You can still buy jackets like that in Herefordshire.

The Reverend Lewis used to wear a tweed Norfolk jacket, a style which looked dated even in 1970s Llanelli (which was still experiencing the 1950s..). The look on the face of the barman of the Old Castle (house bar of Duport's Steelworks) when he walked in wearing it, and ordered a Pink Gin, should have been captured for posterity.

• Like 1