Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Lovely photos of the disused Midland route through the Derbyshire Pennines. Every time I see photos from this area I am saddened at the 'vandalism' committed here and wonder how  fantastic it would be today. We were so lucky the same fate did not happen to the S&C. Thanks for posting as a reminder of this railway.

Lovely photos of the disused Midland route through the Derbyshire Pennines. Every time I see photos from this area I am saddened at the 'vandalism' committed here and wonder how  fantastic it would be today. We were so lucky the same fate did not happen to the S&C. Thanks for posting as a reminder of this railway.

On the plus side, Monsal Dale viaduct and one of the pair at Millers Dale are part of a walking+cycling trail now, and very busy at times. Also incorporates the tunnels, which are lit.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Midland Railway in the Peak District photo's. Monsal Dale viaduct makes a particularly fine sight in J5172. But it's so sad the line was closed down, we lost so much back in the Beeching era.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Some nice Peak District photos there David. Your DMU identification is a lot better. The class 101 has a 104 trailer in between the two driving power cars though. Thank you for sharing with us.

Paul J.

The 101 is a BG set. Botanic retained three BRCW TSLs after all the 104s went to Norwich in exchange for the 101s.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Blyth and Tyne photos. The second one of 37238 at Cambios is particularly good. The last photo’ of 56127, at Winning, makes a bold sight, with the loco looking most good.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

That viaduct over the Trent has attracted my interest over the years. I started off wishing for a photo of the old bridge or the works in progress to answer my questions. When i finally found one it just asked a whole load more..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/merrygoround58/15254099775/

Ok some of the new beams are in place but certainly not all. The new beams sit on some big transoms on top of the columns. These appear to share the same space used by the old bowstring girders. How did it all get in place?

Edit to add a view of a transom..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tatraskoda/5441259667/sizes/o/

Edited by LNERGE

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos from Nottinghamshire tonight. The first one of the 10.25 gauge Ivatt Atlantic, 1442, is delightful. And I particularly like J5109 at High Marnham of an unidentifed split headcode box 37.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

On the Beauchief image J5338 were you near the site of Dore & Totley station - has track been reinstated to the left of the 45 now to ease the junction at Dore.

Looking at Googlemaps there is a third track in what looks to be the part of the trackbed in the picture serving the line to Manchester.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Christmas Card. And the Yorkshire photos are fascinating. Deltic, 55007, makes a most powerful sight at Horsforth, in J5315. It's great to see Hardwicke as well as Evening Star in J5309 and J5314.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

I don't get on RMWeb as much as I'd like to, but your photos have been the first place I look again this year. I hope you have a merry Christmas and a happy 2018.

cheers

Jason

• RMweb Gold

In the good old days Beauchief used to have four lines, (and in the good older days, a station!).

post-5471-0-53261200-1513877788_thumb.jpg

Mike.

Edit.

For the directionally confused, I'm looking south from across the road of the same road bridge as Dave is looking north, which was the access to the old station.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

On the Beauchief image J5338 were you near the site of Dore & Totley station - has track been reinstated to the left of the 45 now to ease the junction at Dore.

Looking at Googlemaps there is a third track in what looks to be the part of the trackbed in the picture serving the line to Manchester.

It's one of Dad's photos,  I think that somewhere on the thread are some of my photos at the same place.  It's by the site of what was Beauchief station.  The third track ends just south of the bridge from which the photo was taken.

It's over 35 years since I was last there!

Edited to remove a superfluous word

David

Edited by DaveF

Season's Greetings David.

Many thanks for all the effort you put into keeping this thread going, it's a daily treat for all of us.

Please continue doing it into 2018 and beyond; memories, nostalgia and inspiration in barrow loads.

Thanks!

Season's Greetings David.

Many thanks for all the effort you put into keeping this thread going, it's a daily treat for all of us.

Please continue doing it into 2018 and beyond; memories, nostalgia and inspiration in barrow loads.

Thanks!

Entirely agree with all of this posting :) A Merry Christmas Dave, many many thanks!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Firstly I would like to wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. The Berwick on Tweed photos are fantastic, and the viaduct always makes for a most imposing sight. J3705, in the sidings, some track machines can be seen - I just can’t quite make out exactly which ones they are.

With warmest regards,

Rob.