Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

I really like that aerial photo of Oldham Lees.

The only thing left of it is a cycle/footpath along the trackbed, the rest is under houses.

Most of the wagons seem to be full (of coal?).

Particularly notable is the number of PO wagons to the left and the fact that LMS branded vehicles make up possibly only 3 or 4 of the company wagons on show.

Cheers

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello, Ernie. That Black 5, 44840, leaving Carlisle, Upperby Goods in the 1960's is so filthy, so unkempt. Typical of those last years of steam on BR, and makes such a nostalgic sight in the photo'.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm always facinated by aerial photos of the railways as they show so much more than a ground level shot.

I've got six different "Railways From the Air" books on my bookshelf!

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Come and work in Widnes No.8 - a signal box with pleasant views over the surrounding countryside (an estate agents version of a vacancy notice)

post-6662-0-82904500-1530178596.jpg

Edit - It's Widnes No.8, West Deviation Junction not No.4 as I originally posted.

• Like 4

A few more aerial views this morning taken of Widnes ca 1928. These are extracts from large glass negatives.

attachicon.gifWidnes Factories west of Runcorn viaduct ca 1928 pn9.jpg

ERnie

Dittons Oil mill and Vickers fertilizer works looks downright pleasant in the sunshine.

Same place, different occasion.

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW024956

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello, Ernie. A lovely collection of photo's from the ECML at Grove Road. and Loughborough. It's so fascinating to see a big pacific, Great Northern, on a short train which would be calling at many wayside stations. It has to be a good one for a modeller.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

We can also assume part of the exact date, it was almost certainly a Monday and back in ca1928 coloured bed linen wasn't popular!

The First Picture:

The irony that Mr Gossards soap works (Just off scene and probably Lever Bros by then) was probably belching black smoke from its chimneys seven days a week, yet they still had the audacity to stick their bl**dy great advert claiming Restu washed everything right outside the pub. A bit more irony in that it's The White Swan in Pear Street!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Some more Widnes aerial views this morning.

First one shows more industry and a small loco shed which looks disused. This may have been an original shed for the St Helens railway later part of the LNWR. There was a much larger shed near the

LNWR station. EDIT Railway Clearing House Map shows these lines round the shed as Private LInes and mentions Landowners Line and Hutchinson's line. Best place to find info would be Industrial railways /locos Cheshire (Industrial Railway Socy) probably but I don't possess it.

attachicon.gifWidnes ca1928 AW Hobartc143 2 shed.jpg

Second shows the LNWR goods yard etc.

attachicon.gifWidnes ca1928 AW Hobartc143 Lnwr goods yard.jpg

Third  is the LNWR station which was built on a raised deviation line to the north of the original and avoided  the flat crossing with the St Helens Railway and the maze of lines into the various factories etc.

THe MR/GC loop line is above the LNWR station.

We can also assume part of the exact date, it was almost certainly a Monday and back in ca1928 coloured bed linen wasn't popular!

attachicon.gifWidnes ca1928 AW Hobartc143 LNWR station.jpg

More from ground level this afternoon

Ernie

Thanks for posting these Ernie, Widnes is a fascinating area and these are very interesting, especially comparing with the "now".

Here's a comparison for the third photo

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=53.3591&lon=-2.7345&layers=168&right=BingHyb

• Like 2

Some more Widnes aerial views this morning.

First one shows more industry and a small loco shed which looks disused. This may have been an original shed for the St Helens railway later part of the LNWR. There was a much larger shed near the

LNWR station. EDIT Railway Clearing House Map shows these lines round the shed as Private LInes and mentions Landowners Line and Hutchinson's line. Best place to find info would be Industrial railways /locos Cheshire (Industrial Railway Socy) probably but I don't possess it.

attachicon.gifWidnes ca1928 AW Hobartc143 2 shed.jpg

What struck me about this picture was the empty spaces in the lower right area. Pre-WWII so not clearance after air raids etc. Could it be virgin land that had yet to be built on? Or cleared from earlier builds?

I imagine that today the area would be covered in housing...

• Like 1

The older maps do show buildings by the lower chord of the triangle, with Globe Chemical Works to the right. Presumably they have been demolished and the site is waiting for new construction; although given this was during recessionary times, any new building is probably many years away. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello, Ernie. How dour Widnes was back in the 1920’s. As mentioned, thick black smoke belching from those chimneys, never minding the steam engines all made their contributions to the polluted air. No wonder washing was such a chore which could never be really successful.

The photo’ at Bromley South, on 12th, June, 1968, with Peak, D77, reminds me of how those inter regional freights were. It would have, all most certainly, originated on the LMR.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Hello, Ernie. How dour Widnes was back in the 1920’s. As mentioned, thick black smoke belching from those chimneys, never minding the steam engines all made their contributions to the polluted air. No wonder washing was such a chore which could never be really successful.

The photo’ at Bromley South, on 12th, June, 1968, with Peak, D77, reminds me of how those inter regional freights were. It would have, all most certainly, originated on the LMR.

Best regards,

Rob.

I have to disagree Rob, because although D77 was a Nottingham division engine in those days, if the train was heading back to the LMR it would have had a 7M32 (or similar) headcode. 

The fact that it is 7E32 suggests that it is going to the Eastern Region but via the Midland main line, but I don't have a Midland WTT for that era. 

I suppose it could have been heading for a number of destinations; maybe Colwick, or Mansfield CS, or even Worksop - it would be very interesting to find out. 

• Like 1