Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Like the photo of D77 running through Bromley South, never knew they worked that area.

Coal to Southfleet on the Gravesend West branch in the 60's & 70's & occasionally to Chatham Dockyard on the nuclear flask MODA95780 in the 70's

I still reckon that as a very young lad, I saw D3 or "3" Skiddaw at Gillingham on one of those late 60's inter-regional trains to Ramsgate but has never been able to independently verify it ..................................................

• Like 2

Dave, trust the convalescence is going well? Very best wishes for a swift and full return to fitness.

In the meantime, thanks for posting early 1970's images! As a child of the late 50's I can just about remember pre-1968 steam although it dissappeared from the Midlands sometime before this. The early 1970's with steam infrastructure and green diesels is my era and so evocative!

The image of the 'double-headed 400ers' (later Class 50) takes me straight back to a trip to Preston and Wigan in about 1972 with the changeover from electric traction at Crewe.

The 'Tats' at Lancaster also show that nothing seems to have changed since a Black 5 would have been seen doing this sort of duty!

Thanks again,

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Hello, Ernie. Such lovely photo’s from Lancaster of class 40’s. The one of 279, in April, 1972, shows a definite knock to the drivers side of the corner of the nose. Some kind of rough shunt maybe.

Best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Three more from the camera of the late John Strange this morning

attachicon.gifLancaster Breakdown Crane Oct72.jpg

attachicon.gifLancaster 40279 Apr72.jpg

attachicon.gifLancaster No 1 Box D241 Mar1972.jpg

Ernie

Here are three shots of "now" to go with your "then"

Taken 11th June 2018

View Down:

post-6208-0-86292000-1530376960_thumb.jpg

Up Loop:

post-6208-0-51191500-1530376986_thumb.jpg

Up view:

post-6208-0-34669400-1530376917_thumb.jpg

Sorry no trains!

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 15

Coal to Southfleet on the Gravesend West branch in the 60's & 70's & occasionally to Chatham Dockyard on the nuclear flask MODA95780 in the 70's

I still reckon that as a very young lad, I saw D3 or "3" Skiddaw at Gillingham on one of those late 60's inter-regional trains to Ramsgate but has never been able to independently verify it ..................................................

Wow! Now that would be some sighting.

Similar to my excitement at seeing D6547 in Lincolnshire on a cement train, but of course the 33s became a regular sight south of York and became just another 'cop'.

• Like 1

I have to say I will miss these shots, especially the steam.

I don't suppose you would consider having a thread of your own?

My main internet site is on Flickr and takes up most of my time with some 14000 + images and approx 3.4 million hits so far this year. I also have permission to use views from the Armstrong Railway Photographic Trust on the Flickr site. Click on the link below and then on one of the Album icons.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/albums

Ernie

• Like 1

Do any of the far more knowledgable folks know what the coach is on the Dover Marine photo in Erinie's excellent post.  

LMS TPO coach allocated to the SR?  The number is in the right series for a TPO I think

• Like 1

My main internet site is on Flickr and takes up most of my time with some 14000 + images and approx 3.4 million hits so far this year. I also have permission to use views from the Armstrong Railway Photographic Trust on the Flickr site. Click on the link below and then on one of the Album icons.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/albums

Ernie

been on there and can't find the likes of the above photos of Hitchin?

Am I in the right place?

• Like 1

LMS TPO coach allocated to the SR?  The number is in the right series for a TPO I think

Agree with that, SR allocated ex-LMS TPO with offset BS gangways but updated with VHF radio eqpt (pods on roof)

Thanks both, just off to do a bit of reading on those. 

• Like 1

been on there and can't find the likes of the above photos of Hitchin?

Am I in the right place?

Sorry Jeff, I posted on here on 26 June that I was only going to upload on here images that were not on my Flickr site, therefore there are no English albums south of the Yorkshire North Riding (apart from GCR 2018 winter gala) & Cumbria.

regards ERnie

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello, Ernie. You’ve done a great job with the photo’ uploads whilst Dave has been away. I’ve enjoyed seeing all of them, and today I particularly like the one of Bedford with an 8F, 48270. It’s a most atmospheric photo’ which captures the feel of the old station and the dirty engine so perfectly.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 2