Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

I spoke to Dave this morning; he is on the mend and will resume posting tomorrow.

Here are my final 4:

attachicon.gif68r210 Stockport MPD 45312 6apr68.jpg

attachicon.gif72r515 Dover Marine 6574 23sep72.jpg

attachicon.gifAIS GILL 45455 1967.jpg

attachicon.gifBedford 48270 ca1960 a637.jpg

Many thanks for your kind comments and observations over the past week; as I said this morning my Flickr site takes up most of my time and I have a far bigger pool of material to play with besides my own photos etc covering Scotland, Ireland and Northern England which I have refrained from putting on here.

Over to you Dave,

Ernie

Hi Ernie

The Bedford photo, looking at the position of the top lamp iron it could well be later than 1960 as it has been lowered for working under 25 KV lines. Another thing that possibly dates it later are the two brake tenders outside the loco depot , they both have yellow warning panels. My main reason for commenting on the photo, the tail end of the train appears to be coming off the Hitchin line not the London line, I am wondering if it is a train of empties from Goldington Power Station as these trains were some of the last regular steam workings in the Bedford area.  I am a native of Goldington and spent most Saturday's from 10 until 16 yrs old on the platform where those two boys are standing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hope you're feeling better, David.

Someone's done a good job of blocking access to that inspection cover in the first photo, haven't they?

It actually looks newer than the point rodding! :scratchhead:

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Welcome back, David. I'm in a similar situation to you (I broke my collar bone in a cycle accident a few weeks ago) but am coming to the end of my convalescence. I hope all goes well for you in the coming weeks.

Welcome back David, and thanks for yet more photos near to some of my old schoolboy haunts. 

C6125, and I remember that view from 20 years earlier, viewed from a window on the Nottingham-Grantham services. In those days much of the track was still in place, although the junctions were steadily taken out of use during the 1960s. It is amazing how quickly nature has taken over again. 

I know that it is fantasy, but I often wonder if a Newark-Northampton railway route would have been a handy one to have kept mothballed, and now re-opened with a regular sprinter service. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. It’s great to have you back posting once more after Ernie stepped in with a lovely collection of his own photo’s. I hope you will quickly recover fully from the op. It’s one my Dad had, and he was soon back in full health.

The photo’s today are as lovely as always of Allington Junction and Bottesford. That’s a good photo ‘ of a class 120 DMU in C6157, in August, 1983, on a Skegness to Nottingham service. Just about all the window vents on the unit are open, indicating that the summer was a hot one. If I remember correctly, it was most hot for much of that summer, and this year seems to be going the same way.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Welcome back, and as others have said, take care and you will soon be as good as new - with experience of two hernia ops to prove it, plus an untimely appendisectomy (spelling?) at an age when I was told it was very rare.

Re the access manhole, I notice that there are joints in the rodding over it, so perhaps it is not too difficult to obtain emergency access, albeit only by disrupting the signalling.

Jonathan

Welcome back, and as others have said, take care and you will soon be as good as new - with experience of two hernia ops to prove it, plus an untimely appendisectomy (spelling?) at an age when I was told it was very rare.

Re the access manhole, I notice that there are joints in the rodding over it, so perhaps it is not too difficult to obtain emergency access, albeit only by disrupting the signalling.

Jonathan

Eek, I thought the second para was still talking about an operation for a moment!

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. That’s a magnificent set of photo’s of the Blyth and Tyne around Ashington. The class 14 in C7117, on 12th, August, 1985, looks good as a, by then, established NBC engine. And C6795, of the viaduct over the River Wansbeck, on the 10th April, 1985, is very well composed, with 56133, and it’s train of MGR’s, all on the viaduct making a most imposing sight.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Great to see you back, Dave.

For me, it doesn't get much better than the sight of a LL class 56 with an MGR train on the viaduct over the river Wansbeck. 

Marcheys House signal box is still intact and now seeing some action thanks to the new biomass trains to Lynemouth power station.