Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Peterborough photo’s which are very interesting and show the station after the changes. In the first photo’, with an unidentifiable class 47 on a Leeds to Kings Cross express, on the 27th July, 1974, you also have a splendid view of the Crescent Bridge.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo’s from around Acklington, which are all full of interest. In J9299, with 43104 leading an HST from Edinburgh to Kings Cross in September, 1987, it seems to be making a bit of dust in its wake.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave, That first pic in the Set above is so inspirational for any future Goods Yard that I might do, it's so cluttered and rubbish strewn and yet doesn't look cluttered and over crowded, with just that solitary Seacow sitting there looking very lonely.

Superb,

Thanks.

Andy. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Agree with the above! The photo of Haltwhistle goods yard oozes inspiration. Looks like a disused platform at the back and a concrete store. The wall and gate a the back as well, great stuff! 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Agree with the above! The photo of Haltwhistle goods yard oozes inspiration. Looks like a disused platform at the back and a concrete store. The wall and gate a the back as well, great stuff! 

The disused platform would be the one for the Alston branch.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Haltwhistle photo’s which are all of interest, and ooze nostalgia. In C19473, with 156463, on a Newcastle to Carlisle service, on the 1st June, 1994, you have also a great view of the signalbox, which is a good box and would make a lovely model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, sb67 said:

1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

The disused platform would be the one for the Alston branch.

The disused Alston branch platform is the left hand side of the platform in C19473 (the third photo down - the line to Alston went round the back of the signal box, heading to the left of the photo before turning to the south and crossing the River Tyne east of Haltwhistle.

I think the "platform" in the goods yard photo is a loading dock (disused obviously).

Somewhere I have some photos of Haltwhistle station when the gods yard was in use (not mine so I can't post them here), I'll try to find them and will then be able to say what the structure was for.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, DaveF said:

The disused Alston branch platform is the left hand side of the platform in C19473 (the third photo down - the line to Alston went round the back of the signal box, heading to the left of the photo before turning to the south and crossing the River Tyne east of Haltwhistle.

I think the "platform" in the goods yard photo is a loading dock (disused obviously).

Somewhere I have some photos of Haltwhistle station when the gods yard was in use (not mine so I can't post them here), I'll try to find them and will then be able to say what the structure was for.

David

I was refering to the platform behind the signal box in C19473. I would agree that the thing behind the Seacow is a loading platform and not a passenger platform.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I was refering to the platform behind the signal box in C19473. I would agree that the thing behind the Seacow is a loading platform and not a passenger platform.

That makes sense now - the quote from an earlier post about the photos confused me.

Many thanks.

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

Yes that was, and if you look to the right of the class 60 in C19474, the viaduct that the branch took over the Tyne is just visible. Always thought Haltwhistle was a good spot, if a little quiet trainwise.

I used to use the hotel 'The Centre of Britain' when working at the plastics factory at Plenmeller, whose car park was bordered by the lifted Alston line (footpath) just the other side of the Haltwhistle bypass. Lambley further up the line had a rather nice viaduct too IIRC. And by this time the signal box was painted to match the footbridge.

That was back when EWS were running jumbo coal trains (2x66 + 42xHTA) which once left Carlisle had to run non-stop the Newcastle due to there being no loops long enough to pull over in.

Thanks and regards,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Yes that was, and if you look to the right of the class 60 in C19474, the viaduct that the branch took over the Tyne is just visible. Always thought Haltwhistle was a good spot, if a little quiet trainwise.

I used to use the hotel 'The Centre of Britain' when working at the plastics factory at Plenmeller, whose car park was bordered by the lifted Alston line (footpath) just the other side of the Haltwhistle bypass. Lambley further up the line had a rather nice viaduct too IIRC. And by this time the signal box was painted to match the footbridge.

That was back when EWS were running jumbo coal trains (2x66 + 42xHTA) which once left Carlisle had to run non-stop the Newcastle due to there being no loops long enough to pull over in.

Thanks and regards,

Dave

The narrow gauge line that starts at Alston want to eventually get their trains to Haltwhistle so the viaduct could see trains once more. I just hope I am able to see it happen.

• Thanks 1

The ballast wagon in the goods yard is actually a walrus not a seacow. I have a kit by Cambrian but it defeated me :cray_mini:.

It is a brilliant picture though, would make an excellent theme for a box file type layout.

Edited by Clagsniffer
Spelling
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Nottingham to Loughborough photo’s which are full of interest. In the last one at Loughborough, you have a fascinating sight of a Plasser crane, DGP81531, which seems to be lowering two lengths of rail, on the  10th June, 1989. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Loughborough Plasser crane DGP81531 10th June 89 C12004.jpg

What a picture for modelling reference that is. How to detail an industrial building with pipework, ventilation, clutter, and what appears to be a window knocked out to make a doorway....

Regards,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1