Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David, and thank you for posting this outstanding selection of photo’s of Manchester London Road station. In the first photo’ with an A5, 69806, on a passenger train leaving the station in c1956, that is such an atmospheric view of a typical steam hauled train from the mid fifties. Then in JVol7022, with class B1, 61271, and your Mum and yourself seated on the way to Dublin, for a family wedding, in June, 1954, not only is that a delightful portrait shot of the B1, but also a lovely shot of your Mum and yourself. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

There’s a Class 90 inside that Class 87. Looks like the panto is down so perhaps a failure?

Andrew, 

I hadn't noticed that, thanks for pointing it out.

David

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

There’s a Class 90 inside that Class 87. Looks like the panto is down so perhaps a failure?

It also maybe that the 87 needed moving and easy to put it on the rear take the battery switch out on the 90 and set TDM to repeat 

Great pictures David 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fascinating selection of photo’s of the Bowes Railway in Springwell, to the south of Gateshead. In C8581, at Springwell, with Barclay, NCB, number 22, on the 24th May, 1987, to the right you can see a tool van. It looks like it was an open wagon with a roof put on it. I’m happy to be proven wrong and that it was perhaps built like that. 
The Carlisle photo’s, from the 9th August, 2003, are delightful and the first photo’ of 92007, on an up freight train is a delightful portrait shot of the 60.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. It’s good to see this selection of photo’s of Ulgham Lane crossing as photographed on the 4th June, 2004. In IMG_3731, with a Virgin Voyager, class 221, on a down Cross Country service, it’s interesting to see an AWS sign. I can’t recall seeing many of them before.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DaveF said:

A batch of photos for supper time rather than tea time today!

Photos taken on 4th June 2004 at Ulgham Lane crossing.

As many of you know the level crossing is north of Morpeth on the ECML in Northumberland.

1341248560_UlghamLanecrossingFreightliner66544upcoal4thJune2004IMG_3721.JPG.d491a700bec2d0bddf888e6bf4933eca.JPG

Ulgham Lane crossing Freightliner 66544 up coal 4th June 2004 IMG_3721

1334273581_UlghamLanecrossingVirginXCClass221down4thJune2004IMG_3731.JPG.ab88dafad57a398dc04c226216a56c9c.JPG

Ulgham Lane crossing Virgin XC Class 221 up 4th June 2004 IMG_3731

1259549622_UlghamLanecrossingEWSClass66downfreight4thJune2004IMG_3732.JPG.5547c3384e0c83e1cf2a662f298d54c3.JPG

Ulgham Lane crossing EWS Class 66 down coal 4th June 2004 IMG_3732

2053663209_UlghamLanecrossingVirginXCClass220down4thJune2004IMG_3742.JPG.81b1d84f1d40ec6f567bef94230cd43c.JPG

Ulgham Lane crossing Virgin XC Class 220 down 4th June 2004 IMG_3742

1790159728_UlghamLanecrossingGNERClass43down4thJune2004IMG_3745.JPG.60f5ef548d356e39d720d2ff8a536ee1.JPG

Ulgham Lane crossing GNER Class 43 down 4th June 2004 IMG_3745

David

The GNER HST brings back memories, a nice shot.

44 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. It’s good to see this selection of photo’s of Ulgham Lane crossing as photographed on the 4th June, 2004. In IMG_3731, with a Virgin Voyager, class 221, on a down Cross Country service, it’s interesting to see an AWS sign. I can’t recall seeing many of them before.

It'll be to do with the SIMBIDS installation on the section of ECML around there. That's a 'termination of special AWS working' sign with the top of its diamond shape broken off.

SIMplified BI-Directional Signalling, to give it its full title, has no AWS provided for wrong direction moves unlike full Bi-Di and wider spaced signals (ie 2-aspect normally instead of 3 or 4-aspect) hence 'simplified', speeds are also usually slightly lower in the wrong direction with SIMBIDS - I believe the northern ECML installation has an 85mph wrong direction ceiling, as against up to the full 125 for normal working.

As the AWS magnets for signals in normal direction working are not suppressed, these diamond AWS signs tell drivers when to ignore AWS indications ('AWS' with red cross through), and when to resume normal AWS working (sign as pictured without red cross through 'AWS').

Edited by hexagon789
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

I was going to comment on how nice Hellifield station looks until I saw the second and final images. They have obviously taken trouble to keep the main part of the platform, the building and the canopy in good condition and then they let themselves down by the mess at the end of the platform.

And I wonder why the coupling on 156487 is gift wrapped.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

Since it's June it's not snow and ice protection. Probably means it doesn't work and is a deterrent.

'X' in the second man's side windscreen also indicates that.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Hellifield from the 4th June, 2005. In IMG_5479, with an EWS 66, 66025, on a down coal train, you can see there has been some patch painting on the lower cab front with a much lighter yellow.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. Firstly I’m glad you got a troublesome tooth extracted yesterday, and hopefully, combined with the paracetamols you’ll have no more issues. I’m at my dentist tomorrow morning to have a couple of teeth, which are niggling me, checked out. Well, that is a most fascinating set of photo’s from around Winning, on the Blyth and Tyne to Cambois and North Blyth, and the first photo’, at Winning, with large logo 56132, on a down coal train to the power station, in October, 1985, is a most excellent three quarter portrait shot of the 56 at the head of it’s train. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a most impressive selection of photo’s of Morpeth. In C9389, with class 47, 47319, Norsk Hydro, in the goods yard, on the 11th April,1988, you can some details of the level crossing gate and the motor which powered the wheel. I cannot recall seeing anyone having made a model of this type of level crossing gate before.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

That SOB route via Pfäffikon is a proper switchback - it doesn't get the coverage that some of the other mountain lines seem to get, but after using it as part of a roundabout route to my destination further south, I'd like to get back there one day and stop off for a while.

Edit: just noticed the "DR" on the side of the loco in C17369

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a most impressive and atmospheric set of photo’s from Switzerland on the 3rd August, 1992, on the Sudostbahn between ArthGoldau and Pfaffikon, at Schindellegi Feusisberg and Samstagern. In C17369, at Samstagern, with DB, ex DR, 143 922-3, on hire, you have taken an excellent portrait three quarters shot of the locomotive.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1