Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

That SOB route via Pfäffikon is a proper switchback - it doesn't get the coverage that some of the other mountain lines seem to get, but after using it as part of a roundabout route to my destination further south, I'd like to get back there one day and stop off for a while.

Edit: just noticed the "DR" on the side of the loco in C17369

The SOB is well worth looking at.  There are some good views and the stations are worth seeing as well.   From the lineside there are good photographic opportunities.   When travelling on the line and taking photos from the lineside I've stayed at Goldau (by ArthGoldau station) and Sattel.

1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

The photos have prompted fond memories of a trip from Zurich to Arth Goldau, up the Rigi and down the other side and then a boat to Lucerne.

Jonathan

I have very happy memories of the trip from ArthGoldau over the Rigi to Luzern, .

Given the opportunity I'd love to revisit Switzerland.

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

The photos have prompted fond memories of a trip from Zurich to Arth Goldau, up the Rigi and down the other side and then a boat to Lucerne.

Jonathan

3 hours ago, DaveF said:

The SOB is well worth looking at.  There are some good views and the stations are worth seeing as well.   From the lineside there are good photographic opportunities.   When travelling on the line and taking photos from the lineside I've stayed at Goldau (by ArthGoldau station) and Sattel.

I have very happy memories of the trip from ArthGoldau over the Rigi to Luzern, .

Given the opportunity I'd love to revisit Switzerland.

David

Heartily agree. The Station Hotel at Arth Goldau used to be a very good watering-place (haven't been for nearly 40 years...) with the most astonishing strawberry sundae for dessert.

• Thanks 1

On all of today's photos if you visited any of the sites it would be almost inconceivable there was ever a railway there unless you knew. 

The only one you could get anything like a similar view is the one showing the bridge at Perry Road (Bagthorpe Junction), the bridge deck may still be in place but underfilled, I think there's an old people's home roughly at trackbed level now.

I was standing roughly where the Annesley one was taken (I think!) a couple of days ago. The land has been partially filled ramping up to the tunnel, now all there is is grazing horses.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a simply mouthwatering selection of photo’s from around Nottingham. They have brightened up a dreary December day. Now, in JVol4117 at New Basford, with a clean B1, 61169, on an express passenger train from Manchester to Marylebone, in about  1952,  the carriages mentioned previously are a Gresley teak bodied non articulated Composite Corridor carriage, CK, then there is an articulted steel bodied two carriage set, on those three bogies, with the middle bogie being the one the two carriages are articulated together on, then they are followed by a non articulated steel Compsite Corridor carriage, followed by another steel bodied two carriage articulated set. That’s BTK-TK, CK, BTK-TK. These five carriage sets were common on the LNER Southern Section, and were only withdrawn and scrapped with the arrival of the new diesel trains in the later 1950’s. Prior to WWll, the first of these carriages were given the full mock teak effect with the primrose lining out.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, and Merry Christmas, David. Now the photo’s of the Midland Railway Trust at Butterley are full of fascination, and in J6074, at Butterley, with M.R. 673, in May, 1978, you have a superb portrait of the ‘Midland Spinner’, and what a lovely model she would make.

The Newcastle to Hartlepool and beyond photo’s are a delightful set, oozing atmosphere from a time now long gone. In the first photo’ at Brockley Whins, with 142519, on a Sunderland to Metro Centre service, in March, 1992, you can see how  careworn the Pacer was by the time of the photo’, and before it would be repainted, it would need wuite a bit of attention to the rust issues, especially on that cab end.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

On 18/12/2021 at 19:11, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. That is a simply mouthwatering selection of photo’s from around Nottingham. They have brightened up a dreary December day. Now, in JVol4117 at New Basford, with a clean B1, 61169, on an express passenger train from Manchester to Marylebone, in about  1952,  the carriages mentioned previously are a Gresley teak bodied non articulated Composite Corridor carriage, CK, then there is an articulted steel bodied two carriage set, on those three bogies, with the middle bogie being the one the two carriages are articulated together on, then they are followed by a non articulated steel Compsite Corridor carriage, followed by another steel bodied two carriage articulated set. That’s BTK-TK, CK, BTK-TK. These five carriage sets were common on the LNER Southern Section, and were only withdrawn and scrapped with the arrival of the new diesel trains in the later 1950’s. Prior to WWll, the first of these carriages were given the full mock teak effect with the primrose lining out.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I'd say the first carriage is stiil teak; quite possible at the time, of course.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most impressive set of photo’s of Morpeth. In C8182, with 43157 leading an up HST on the 17th January, 1987, you have captured the extremely cold and snowy conditions perfectly, along with that doomed former NER footbridge. I wonder if there were many other examples with the extra wide span?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

And yet again I am afraid four diesel powered trains under the wires. That is something else which will have to change (though there will be no coal traffic anyway).

No doubting the environmental benefits of what you seek, but the practicalities are complicated. Freight businesses with OLE in their yards and sidings? 60 years ago Southern tried that for key marshalling yards, and designed the locos to take power from third rail and OLE. It worked fine, but the locos were underutilised and the OLE was redundant in less than 20 years. 

Dual-powered locos, like the Southern's EDLs, make great sense - but are expensive and complex.

None of this makes rail-freight more competitive, sadly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

And yet again I am afraid four diesel powered trains under the wires. That is something else which will have to change (though there will be no coal traffic anyway).

Jonathan

Some of the trains in those pictures would only have run under the wires for a relatively short distance, which would have been quite a small part of their journey anyway.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most impressive set of photo’s of Ulgham Lane crossing, on the  ECML in Northumberland. Despite the environmental issues, it’s still good to see those diesel hauled trains, and, in particular, 37506, on a down empty pipe wagon train, on the 12th October, 1991, in C16591. It’s amazing that some 37’s still exist on the main network, such a good overall design.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1