Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David, Merry Christmas, and many thanks for all the excellent photo’s you post each day. Today has been exception, and the morning photo’s from some 70 years ago at Grantham are outstanding. The last photo’ of  V2, 60930, on an express passenger train from London Kings Cross to Leeds, in May, 1951, is truly outstanding as the V2 gets off to an explosive start, with all that smoke and steam, on that journey to Leeds. It would have made such a sound too, and shaken the track and ground.

The photo’s, from a similar time period of Nottingham London Road low level station and Nottingham Victoria station, are simply excellent and show how the steam railway was from all those years ago. In the first photo’, of Nottingham London Road Low Level, with A5, 69817, on a down goods train, c1953, it is, as always, interesting to see a large passenger tank engine on a freight train. A most atmospheric photo’ in the gloomy conditions.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Blackthorn said:

Sorry, It's jvol5013. I shouldn't try typing this early in the morning before a cup of tea......

At least we have a white Christmas this year, everyone thought I was nuts for bringing the snowblower from Ontario.  Who's laughing now!  

MJ

Not a problem, I suspected that the keyboard had failed and put the numbers in the wrong order. 

Hope you are having a great Christmas but not being able to watch the Maple Leafs must be hard. Not much hockey here and nowhere near the standard of NHL.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
On 24/12/2021 at 14:36, DaveF said:

I thought it would make a change today to go to Nottingham Midland in the early 1950s - around 70 years ago.

2057961190_NottinghamMidlandJubilee45652Hawkeecsc1951JVol2239.jpg.0e8812766315185556a6ede14fd7bdc3.jpg

Nottingham Midland Jubilee 45652 Hawke ecs c1951 JVol2239

David

More fascinating photos David. I'm not sure that Hawke ever ran with one of the high sided 3500 gallon tenders. Judging by the tender and lined black livery I think this is Kentish Town's 45612 Jamaica in JVol2239.

Merry Christmas

Simon

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

Not a problem, I suspected that the keyboard had failed and put the numbers in the wrong order. 

Hope you are having a great Christmas but not being able to watch the Maple Leafs must be hard. Not much hockey here and nowhere near the standard of NHL.

Thanks Chris116.

I do get watch the leafs although I usually miss the start of the game.  I can get the CBC Toronto feed on my firestick.  They seem to be running hot and cold this season, as usual....:nea:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, 65179 said:

More fascinating photos David. I'm not sure that Hawke ever ran with one of the high sided 3500 gallon tenders. Judging by the tender and lined black livery I think this is Kentish Town's 45612 Jamaica in JVol2239.

Merry Christmas

Simon

Simon,

Thanks very much.

I've had a look at the original print - I don't have the negative as sadly many of Dad's negatives were lost in a house move over fifty years ago - and I think you are almost certainly correct.

I've altered the caption.

David

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a delightful selection of photo’s of the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway. In C8768, at Ravenglass, with River Mite, on the 7th August, 1987, you have captured a most atmospheric scene, with the smoke and damp weather conditions. 
The Switzerland photo’s of the metre gauge Rhatische Bahn are enchanting, and full of fascination. In C17231, with the Landwasser viaduct, and a train running over it on a St Mortiz to Chur service, on the 29th July, 1992, you have both a train in the landscape, and going into a tunnel off the viaduct. You have to go to Switzerland to experience it, nowhere else can equal that lovely scenery. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, DaveF said:

634066260_LandwasserGe44iiStMortiztoChur29thJuly92C17131.jpg.b1c4c0b2e626910bb17fc6ca94f76892.jpg

Landwasser viaduct St Mortiz to Chur  29th July 92 C17131  loco is already in the tunnel

I think that this is the first time that I've seen a "wide view" of the Landwasser viaduct, which puts it all into context. Thanks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a most impressive set of photo’s of Milford Junction from the 29th May, 1996. In C20929, with 142081, on a service to Chesterfield, you can see how some patch painting of the cab front corner has been applied following what looks like some kind of scrape. Then in C20964, with Load Haul, 56090, on an up freight train, you can see the wagons snaking over those ladder crossovers.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

On 20/09/2014 at 18:49, DaveF said:

A few photos this evening of Mistley on the Great Eastern line from Manningtree to Harwich in pre electrification days.

At the time of the photos grain was still being delivered to the Edme Malt Extract Works by train, there was also some traffic to the quayside down the steeply graded line seen in the first photo.  This steep line actually replaced an earlier line which was on a long curve down the hill, being originally horse worked.

post-5613-0-43255600-1411235049_thumb.jpg

Mistley Class 105 Harwich to Manningtree, branch to quayside on left March 75 C1888

post-5613-0-00070300-1411235054_thumb.jpg

Mistley goods yard July 75 J4533

post-5613-0-62514600-1411235058_thumb.jpg

Mistley Maltings and quayside with wagons March 75 C1886

post-5613-0-30584900-1411235064_thumb.jpg

Mistley station, view west July 75 J4535

post-5613-0-12017700-1411235068_thumb.jpg

Mistley east of, Class 31 Parkeston Quay to Birmingham June 77 C3353

David

On 20/09/2014 at 18:59, LNERGE said:

Super pictures. Something has given that concrete stop block a fearsome push..

I've seen a picture today of the large concrete stop block at Mistley almost completely on it's back with CAO brakevan B954079 perched on top. Photo taken at 12:45 11th May 1982. Judging by the marks on the block this is a further heavy shunt from the one in Dave's photo. I've sent a text to the author of the book it's in to see if i can post the picture on here.

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most excellent selection of photo’s of the Tyne and Wear Metro. The first photo’ at Backworth, with Metros 4066 and 4020, on a Heworth to St James service, on the 14th January, 1995, shows a quite open vista to the line there, and also you can see how the line gently undulates too in that location.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. That’s a most excellent selection of photo’s of the Tyne and Wear Metro. The first photo’ at Backworth, with Metros 4066 and 4020, on a Heworth to St James service, on the 14th January, 1995, shows a quite open vista to the line there, and also you can see how the line gently undulates too in that location.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

There is now a staion just behind the train!

The third track beyond the train is the Blyth and Tyne route which turns north here and heads through South Newsham (and other places) on its way to Ashington.

In due course it will carry passengers again.

David

• Informative/Useful 2

Still think the closure of this line was a mistake as usual by blinkered polaticians we could have used it  a for HS2 but the UK as ususual took the shortsighted view. Just a point were are all the adverts coming from did not used to get them especialy one that appears as avidio halfway up the screen.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

Still think the closure of this line was a mistake as usual by blinkered polaticians we could have used it  a for HS2 but the UK as ususual took the shortsighted view. 

To keep Woodhead for HS2 would have required getting on for forty years' foresight. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most spectacular set of photo’s of the Woodhead route. I remember well it’s closure in 1981, and felt it was a big loss which would probably lead to more closures. Thankfully that’s something which didn’t happen, although the Settle to Carlisle line came close to closure later in the ‘80’s. What a fine sight, at Torside, in the last photo’ the EM2, later class 77, makes on an express passenger train from Marylebone to Manchester, in  circa 1960. The third carriage is a Thompson corridor of what looks like a CK, going by the sliding vents on what is the corridor side.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

The closure of the Woodhead line can be summed up in one word, votes.

The hope valley line was originally earmarked for closing, with all traffic transferred to the newly modernised Woodhead. But BR was not allowed to close the hope valley line due to the marginal votes in the area it passed through. So the Woodhead lost its passenger service, and the rest is history. 

Also, how much of its traffic was diverted away as the line crossed regional boundaries, and it fell victim to pre nationalisation politics. How much would a fast direct passenger line between sheffield and loughborough via nottingham be useful now? But the midland which was kept was a meandering line for carrying coal, with the passenger service added onto that.

PS-Excellent photos, just look at those almost new 16ton boxes, not the usual rust boxes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Newcastle Central station. In C9332a, with a class 101 DMU on a Newcastle to Hexham service, on the 21st March, 1988, in the foreground, you can see how, with track rationalisation, the sleepers were left in place, with just the rails lifted for the former line going straight ahead.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1