Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

I had a look at the original this morning,  can anyone see a number?

2112671411_Screenshot2022-04-18090011.png.966bb3ae35db6c45e14334fcd4abef2a.png

I think Dad must have written it down by looking at the rear vehicle - and got it wrong.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. Firstly, regarding that class 142. Yesterday I enlarged the photo’, and apart from a 0 which is the last part of the number, next to it, I’m sure it’s possible to see either a 5 or an 8. Perhaps I am seeing things. 😉

Now today’s photo’s of Switzerland, from August, 1992, are truly amazing, and it’s good to see the Weissenbach viaduct on what was the Bodensee Toggenburg Bahn, and also the metre gauge Appenzeller Bahn along the line from Appenzell to Wasserauen.

Indeed I particularly like that first photo’ of the Weissenburg viaduct, with BT BDe4/4, on an eastbound service on the 4th August, 1992. Aspects of the view put me in mind of a model railway.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. Firstly, regarding that class 142. Yesterday I enlarged the photo’, and apart from a 0 which is the last part of the number, next to it, I’m sure it’s possible to see either a 5 or an 8. Perhaps I am seeing things. 😉

Now today’s photo’s of Switzerland, from August, 1992, are truly amazing, and it’s good to see the Weissenbach viaduct on what was the Bodensee Toggenburg Bahn, and also the metre gauge Appenzeller Bahn along the line from Appenzell to Wasserauen.

Indeed I particularly like that first photo’ of the Weissenburg viaduct, with BT BDe4/4, on an eastbound service on the 4th August, 1992. Aspects of the view put me in mind of a model railway.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It probably 050 Rob that used to be a regular back then 

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, russ p said:

It probably 050 Rob that used to be a regular back then 

2 hours ago, Market65 said:

Thank you, russ p. I recall 050 on such trains back then. I’m going with that number therefore.

Best regards,

Rob.

Many thanks, I'll caption it as 050.

David

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most impressive selection of photo’s of the ECML between Darlington and Newcastle. In the last photo’ at Plawsworth, with a HST on a Bristol to Newcastle express in March, 1994, I can’t help noticing that it a two plus six set. I wonder if a TS had been taken out, earlier on, owing to a defect? 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Not sure if I've told this anecdote before but when I was young we met one of the signallers from Barkston while on holiday. 

Having been invited to visit one day, my mother took me on the train to Grantham then bus to Barkston. It was quite a long walk to their house to then find he was on shift so an even longer walk in the summer sun ensued to the south box itself. 

Totally worth it though to stand in the box watching a steady stream of trains passing almost within touching distance.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

What a delightful selection of photo’s of Barkston to the north of Grantham on the ECML from the early fifties. In JVol5060, with A3, 60053, Sansovino, on an up express passenger train in c1953, it is a particularly impressive sight with photo’ taken from rail level.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. Well, that’s a great selection of photo’s of Buston Barns on the ECML, and in C14547, with a class 142 on a Berwick to Newcastle service, on the 16th June, 1990, you can see that the second cars exhaust pipe has, for some reason, got a bent top to it. It certainly would look most wrong on a model. Also you can see an excess of diesel particulate around the top of that exhaust pipe. I just hope it was made good in the depot after the days services had finished.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most impressive set of photo’s of Newcastle. In J12854, with a class 91, on a down express and part of a class 47, in August, 1991, it shows a nice sweeping view, but the 91 is actually 91014, not 91011.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. That’s a most impressive set of photo’s of Newcastle. In J12854, with a class 91, on a down express and part of a class 47, in August, 1991, it shows a nice sweeping view, but the 91 is actually 91014, not 91011.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Many thanks.  I'm not sure how I got that wrong, it is quite obvious now.

I've amended the caption.

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a most impressive set of photo’s of the line between Grantham and Nottingham. In J5730, at Radcliffe on Trent, of the viaduct over the River Trent in July, 1977, you have a great photo’ of the main span, and the arches each side of it. If someone has the room it would make a splendid model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a most impressive set of photo’s from Wales, from around Llanberis. In C5718, at Llanberis, with Hunslet,   Dolbadarn, in July, 1982, you have a great rear three quarter portrait shot of the locomotive alongside the stone watertower.

The ECML photo’s from Damdykes and Cramlington are full of period delight and the first photo’of a two car class 101 DMU at Damdykes in December, 1981, shows a colourful effect on the unit from the low sun which I think would not be possible to recreate on a model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, andytrains said:

David.

Nice photos.

That shelter at Cramlington does not look very inviting!

Andy.

The last time I was there a bit over two years ago it had been tidied up.

David

• Thanks 1