Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That’s a most impressive selection of photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland at Felton Lane crossing, and Fenham. In J13155, at Fenham, with 56094, on an up freight, in May, 1992, you have a view which is now long gone, (the train), but can still be enjoyed in the photo’.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

On 06/04/2022 at 20:06, Market65 said:

.... it is intriguing to see that the first three carriages are ex Great Eastern corridor carriages.

Did you find anything out, Rob?   I'm not aware of any transfers of GE stock to the GC (most transfers were to the GE to replace superannuated stock).  I wondered whether it's just been on a special of some sort and just ended up there to be appropriated.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Did you find anything out, Rob?   I'm not aware of any transfers of GE stock to the GC (most transfers were to the GE to replace superannuated stock).  I wondered whether it's just been on a special of some sort and just ended up there to be appropriated.

Hi, Jonathan. Unfortunately I have not yet found out anything about GE coaching stock being transferred to the GC. I will certainly keep looking. Perhaps you are right though, and those three carriages had just been appropriated from a special working.

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the selection of photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland at Southside that you have posted today. The last one is a fairly rare sight of 91005, with the rear end leading, on a down express, in July, 1994. It’s not often you see photo’s of 91’s running the wrong way round, so to speak. Of course, that way round, the train will be a bit late on reaching it’s destination since it would be limited to 110 mph.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s of Carlisle, and in the first one, of the green class 108, 54247 and 53964, on a working to Barrow, on the 27th October, 1987, you can see the main livery error, with a crest on the DTSL. Usually, on first generation DMU’s it was only power cars that were so adorned. But it was good to see the unit in green regardless of that.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most delightful selection of photo’s of the railways from around Nottingham in the late forties and the early fifties. Each one is a gem, and, as already stated, the first one is a scene which is a real gem. Now in the last photo’, at Gedling, with a class 07, WD, Austerity, on an up coal train in c1949, you have the fairly rare sight of such a locomotive working it’s train tender first. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. That’s a most delightful selection of photo’s of the railways from around Nottingham in the late forties and the early fifties. Each one is a gem, and, as already stated, the first one is a scene which is a real gem. Now in the last photo’, at Gedling, with a class 07, WD, Austerity, on an up coal train in c1949, you have the fairly rare sight of such a locomotive working it’s train tender first. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Tender first working was quite common in this area, probably just that less photos were taken of them.

There weren't that many photographers active in this area before closure. I have, literally, one or two taken when I was about 10 but they're really not very good. 

Few pits, if any, had loco turning facilities. Most coal trains were trips from the local pit to Colwick yard for onward transit. 

David, are you sure that WD is at Gedling? Something is shouting Bulwell Common at me.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a most excellent selection of photo’s from different places and dates. In J4970, at Dinting, with preserved  Jubilee class, 5690, Leander, in October, 1975, it is a fine portrait shot of the engine complete with the open smokebox door.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, great central said:

Tender first working was quite common in this area, probably just that less photos were taken of them.

There weren't that many photographers active in this area before closure. I have, literally, one or two taken when I was about 10 but they're really not very good. 

Few pits, if any, had loco turning facilities. Most coal trains were trips from the local pit to Colwick yard for onward transit. 

David, are you sure that WD is at Gedling? Something is shouting Bulwell Common at me.

I think you are right about it being Bulwell Common.  I've altered the caption and Dad's notes.

Dad has it as Gedling in his print catalogue, but having found a track plan of Gedling it doesn't look at all right. 

Many thanks.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Premium

It always amused me that the ecs for the Norwich trains arrived from Duddesdon sidings from the west, having gone the long way round, rather than direct, simply because they couldn’t organise the locos run round. New Street was busy but not that busy at least off peak.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. You have posted an interesting selection of photo’s of Newcastle today, and it’s of interest to see the work taking place prior to electrification. And in C13797, with 143325, waiting to depart on a Newcastle to Berwick service, on the 21st October, 1989, you can see a two car class 108 behind it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. You have posted some very interesting photo’s, as taken by your Dad, from Dinting in 1969, and 1970. In J1999, with RSH, WD150, Warrington, in September, 1969, your Dad has captured a great side view of the engine, and the men are all naturally posed. 
The photo’s of the ECML at Damdykes and Cramlington are excellent capturing the railway without any glamour or fuss, except a bit of fuss, maybe, over Blue Peter in J14491. Now, the last photo’ at Cramlington, in May, 1994, with a 142 on a Newcastle to Alnmouth service looks like it is most probably 142050 or if not, 142080. It wouldn’t be 142262 for there were no 142’s in that number series as fas as I know.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. You have posted some very interesting photo’s, as taken by your Dad, from Dinting in 1969, and 1970. In J1999, with RSH, WD150, Warrington, in September, 1969, your Dad has captured a great side view of the engine, and the men are all naturally posed. 
The photo’s of the ECML at Damdykes and Cramlington are excellent capturing the railway without any glamour or fuss, except a bit of fuss, maybe, over Blue Peter in J14491. Now, the last photo’ at Cramlington, in May, 1994, with a 142 on a Newcastle to Alnmouth service looks like it is most probably 142050 or if not, 142080. It wouldn’t be 142262 for there were no 142’s in that number series as fas as I know.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I probably either misread dad's notes or simply typed the wrong number.  If I remember I'll look tomorrow when I am at the PC with the original image files.

David

• Friendly/supportive 1