Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

That last shot just goes to show that neither Holbeck nor Cricklewood/Kentish Town kept their top link locos in clean condition for the named expresses.

And yet I have an abiding memory of 45685 Barfleur of Bristol Barrow Road shed storming through Wath North with a southbound Bradford to Devon train, in sparkling condition, one Sunday evening circa 1962, some ten years after the above photo.

My cousin said it was the Devonian, but I'm unsure it was so named on a Sunday?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most impressive set of photo’s of Normanton on Soar from 1952 as taken by your Dad. In JVol5119, with a 4F, on a down goods train, I’m just wondering why the 4F is working the train tender first. Shunting at intermediate stations, I wonder? 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/03/2022 at 21:41, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. That’s a most impressive set of photo’s of Normanton on Soar from 1952 as taken by your Dad. In JVol5119, with a 4F, on a down goods train, I’m just wondering why the 4F is working the train tender first. Shunting at intermediate stations, I wonder? 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It could be.  It is on the down fast (passenger) line, I don't know if the goods lines were shut because of the work or if it was bacause of the location of the goods yards at the stations in that area.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a delightful selection of photo’s of the ECML from between Darlington and Newcastle. In J9336, at Plawsworth, with a class 254, on a down express, in October, 1987, you have a most atmospheric scene with the HST surrounded by trees and bushes framed by the gates to that field. It would make a great oil painting.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

And it was good to see the mail train. An environmental disaster when Royal Mail switched to road for all its traffic, though we didn't realise it then. No-one was considering either pollution or carbon emissions seriously.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of years before my first visit. Lovely photos. I remember those Zillertalbahn carriages. We walked to Sylfaen as that was the nearest point to Welshpool, but caught a bus back. Now just down the road (about 14 miles).

Jonathan

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. You’ve posted a fascinating set of photo’s of the Welshpool and Llanfair Railway at Llanfair Caereinio as in August, 1969. In J1834, with No 1, The Earl, and Drewry, Chattenden, shunting, you can see that the wagon being shunted had a pile of bricks in it. I just hope that none of the bricks fell off the wagon since they don’t appear to have been secured in any way.

The photo’s of Carlisle are as interesting as ever, and the first photo’ of 47503, on a light engine movement, on the 27th October, 1989, shows up the rather grubby cab end very clearly, and I think I’ll make use of it to weather the cab ends of the new Bachmann model which I have.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's good to be back.

All being well I'll post some photos later this afternoon and will also give my thoughts on what I will do about the lost photos - I do have back up copies.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, DaveF said:

It's good to be back.

All being well I'll post some photos later this afternoon and will also give my thoughts on what I will do about the lost photos - I do have back up copies.

David

We can't expect to see them straight away, an average posting of 5 a day is still 1800+ images to restore.

That's an awful lot of work to do, I don't envy you.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. Well, it’s good to be back, and that’s a good avatar of you. I’m leaving my avatar blank for now and will see if the old one reappears. 
Now, the photo’s of Wooden Gates level crossing, to the south of Alnmouth, on the ECML in Northumberland are a welcome sight, and in the first photo’, that’s a delightful shot of a class 143 on a Newcastle to Alnmouth service in November, 1986.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. Firstly, thank you for putting back in all the missing photo’s from March - I thought I was seeing things for a moment, but then recalled the situation and that you hoped to get all the missing photo’s put back eventually. 
I have replaced my avatar with a new one for now in view of the fact that all avatars were lost.
Also, thank you for posting those photo’s from East Yorkshire. As always they show that we do have a rail network in East Yorkshire, and it is worthy of investigation and travelling on. Just such a shame the Beverley to York line was closed down. 
Finally, for this afternoon, thank you for posting the photo’s from between Darlington and Newcastle. All show much of interest, and J14458, at Croxdale, with a class 91 on an up express, in October, 1993, is another great photo’ of that delightful viaduct.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, great central said:

Hi Dave, I wondered if the WD in Jvol1205 had become one of the many that ended up at Colwick in later years.

According to this Wikipedia article it was exported and became part if the Kowloon-Canton railway fleet, so possibly the photo was taken earlier than 1948?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KCR_ex-WD_Austerity_2-8-0

Many  thanks for this.

It can't be earlier than 1948 as I think that was when he went to Cambridge and he was usually quite good at writing the dates on his photos.

It is possible he got the last digit of the number wrong as I can't see it clearly.

David

David

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Cambridge South from 1948/49. In JVol1209, with K2, E1753, on an up goods train in 1948, it can be seen that the E is above the number on the front bufferbeam. Clearly the E was not always placed in front of the number depending on the available space.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, DaveF said:

Many  thanks for this.

It can't be earlier than 1948 as I think that was when he went to Cambridge and he was usually quite good at writing the dates on his photos.

It is possible he got the last digit of the number wrong as I can't see it clearly.

David

David

I have a reprint of the 1948 Ian Allan ABC British Railway Locomotives. In this 77450 is missing but 77449 and 77451 are present. Perhaps the last digit on the buffer beam is a 6 or 8 - not easy to tell.  

• Thanks 1