Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Great photos, the one of the 47 at Gateshead shows how filthy track gets in station areas, something that is often missed in models, and to uncouple etc. you are on your knees in that on a daily basis leaving oily footprints on the platform when you chamber up again...

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JeffP said:

J4170, where would 70033 have come off to be replaced by diesel power?

It would have worked the train, which only had three coaches, as far as Leeds where the loco came off and the coaches were coupled to a train from Bradford.  I think it was then usually hauled by a 47 to Kings Cross.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most excellent selection of replacement photo’s of Cramlington. In C5406, with 31289 on an up train of empties, in June, 1981, you have captured a delightful three quarter shot of the 31 on that train. 
The Switzerland photo’s from August, 1992, on the Südostbahn and Bodensee Toggenburg, (now merged), between Arth Goldau and St Gallen, are a most atmospheric set which capture the country so perfectly. In C17397, at Heriasu, with SOB Re4/4iii, 43, on a Romanshorn to Luzern service, on the 4th August, 1992, that is an excellent portrait shot of the locomotive.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

919755270_sBSC_7019AndrewsHouseRSH49.jpg.4e875bc169ac1601fa5c48c2c88b6356.jpg

Hello David,

Probably because I grew up with SR EMUs and secondary route steam, industrial locos have never done anything for me. But I must say those coaches are quaint. Do you know their origins by any chance?

Cheers,

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Hello David,

Probably because I grew up with SR EMUs and secondary route steam, industrial locos have never done anything for me. But I must say those coaches are quaint. Do you know their origins by any chance?

Cheers,

From memory I think m that many of them are "home made" on ex BR underframes.  I think I may have some information somewhere, I'll try to find it.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Probably because I grew up with SR EMUs and secondary route steam, industrial locos have never done anything for me.

You were born too late, Andrew! You and I were born within a mile of each other, but quite some years apart, so I had seen steam in Betchworth lime pits, and preserved industrial steam at the Brockham Museum. It may have lacked mainline glamour, but had an everyday charm of its own. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

From memory I think m that many of them are "home made" on ex BR underframes.  I think I may have some information somewhere, I'll try to find it.

David

Perhaps you should look at the Tanfield website

.....here.....

They have re-built some vehicles onto more modern underframes. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a delightful selection of photo’s of the Tanfield Railway as photographed on the 29th August, 2022. The last photo’ is an excellent side portrait shot of RSH, Sir Cecil A. Cochrane, at Marley Hill.

The replacement photo’s of the Great Northern and Great Eastern Joint line, from between Lincoln and Sleaford, are an impressive set, and in C1147, at Potterhanworth, with a class 47 on an up Pressflo (dry fly ash) train, and two class 31’s on a down coal empty train in September, 1972, shows how busy the line could be at that time. No longer are 31’s to be seen on empty coal trains or 47’s on Pressflo trains.

The Cramlington photo’s from the 4th August, 2022, are a great set, and show how clean and glossy much of today’s railway is. In BSC_6961, with a class 803 of Lumo, on a down passenger service, it can be seen how plain the livery mostly is. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fascinating set of replacement photo’s of Shirebrook, with four of the photos on the Midland Railway line next to the diesel shed and old station.  The final photo’ is of a train on the former LD&ECR (later Great Central) line, just north of Shirebrook, between  Clipstone Junction and Chesterfield. In C3788, with two class 20’s going from Warsop junction, in April, 1978, you have plenty of detail to see including a switchable diamond crossing.

The ECML in Northumberland photo’s from Wooden Gates crossing and Buston Barns, as photographed on the 22nd July, 2022, are all excellent, and the first photo’ at Wooden Gares, with EWS class 66, 66106, on an up service shows that not quite all of the earlier liveries have been eliminated.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To correct a spacing error.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, DaveF said:

We go to Shirebrook for today's replacements.  Four of the photos are on the Midland Railway line by the diesel shed and old station.  The last photo is of a train on the former LD&ECR (later Great Central) line, just to the north of Shirebrook on the line betwen Clipstone Junction and Chesterfield.

1985618071_ShirebrookClasses56and37onshedfromeastApr78C3781.jpg.ede6697edb6b3405ef12c268212525b3.jpg

Shirebrook Classes 56 and 37 on shed, from east Apr 78 C3781

617655681_ShirebrookApril78C3783.jpg.c991b3160c02ddd5817f9be380bad58b.jpg

Shirebrook  Class es 37 and 56  April 78 C3783

1327366703_ShirebrookmgrApr78C3789.jpg.f6833b7de01a24311668680e2d349091.jpg

Shirebrook Classes 56 and 37 on shed, from east Apr 78 C3781

94921541_Shirebrook2Class20sfromWarsopjunctionApr78C3788.jpg.b392ebb13cb88f24445b114f16e63178.jpg

Shirebrook 2 Class 20s from Warsop junction Apr 78 C3788

654489330_Shirebrook56011eastboundonLDECRApr78C3782.jpg.2b11bfa10a3734939487fbc3c4f6d4ca.jpg

Shirebrook 56011 eastbound on LD&ECR Apr 78 C3782

David

Great set of pictures,  yet again another location where vegetation is completely out of control 

Where 3782 was taken I was going down there this year and thought screen was going to come through as hitting so many trees

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/11/2022 at 13:46, Oldddudders said:

You were born too late, Andrew! You and I were born within a mile of each other, but quite some years apart, so I had seen steam in Betchworth lime pits, and preserved industrial steam at the Brockham Museum. It may have lacked mainline glamour, but had an everyday charm of its own. 

Having spent many hours firing on Austerities on the SDR you either love them or hate them.... if you can master one of them then all other locos are a doddle, personally I'd sooner have one any day apart from a 45xx

• Like 1