Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the difference in colour between the first two photos is really interesting.

The second says "Boots" film to me, though I am sure there were others with a bluish cast.

On the other hand, I used to feel that Kodak rendered reds too strongly.

Jonathan

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Yes, the difference in colour between the first two photos is really interesting.

The second says "Boots" film to me, though I am sure there were others with a bluish cast.

Jonathan

My photo (image number prefixed C) was taken on Fujichrome 100ASA (ISO) slide film.

The other one (prefixed J) was Dad's, taken on Agfa CT18 (ISO/ASA50).  He was using a Soligor 75-260mm zoom, it always gave the images a cool slightly blue/green tinge.  It is more noticeable on a scan than on the original slide.  I gave up trying to fix it in Photoshop, too many colours changed!

I think both cameras were Pentax slrs, but I cannot remember which models we used - probably Spotmatics but mine might have been an old S1a.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Jonathan

Edited by Artless Bodger
Deleted irrelevant post due to Dave's reply.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fascinating set of replacement photo’s of Millmeece and Badnall Wharf, on the WCML, between Stafford and Crewe, June 1976. The comparisons between your photo’s and your Dad’s are most interesting, and well explained. The first photo’ of 310 076, on an up passenger service, it is warmer and more natural than the following photo’ of the same train as taken by your Dad. Same results, of course, for the next two photo’s. The last photo’ is a good warm one of a class 85 on an up express. So your camera, as used back then, gives, to my eyes, the better overall results.

Now the latest Morpeth photo’s are superb, with J13294, of 153358, on a Newcastle to Morpeth service, and a MklV DVT leading an  up express train, in August, 1992, shows what appears to be a small dent, of some kind, just below the driver’s side window, on the DVT. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Minor correction j13294, the 153 is 308.

It must have moved from the north east further south at some point before privatisation, eventually turning up at EMT wearing black vinyls advertising some of the attractions of the South West!

When it was taken into works, done in house at Neville Hill if memory serves, it was found to be heavily corroded in places and there was also evidence of crash damage at some time in the past.

All this made the overhaul and repaint take somewhat longer than initially expected. Stagecoach were becoming a bit unusual at that time in doing full body overhauls to bare metal before repainting but it certainly helped staff morale rather than the bodge jobs that have become more common, the current EMR ones don't even get cleaned when sending them over from WM, seems something of an Abellio trademark.

Sorry if I've rambled a bit but I'm stuck in hospital so helps relieve the tedium a bit.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

3 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. That’s a fascinating set of replacement photo’s of Millmeece and Badnall Wharf, on the WCML, between Stafford and Crewe, June 1976. The comparisons between your photo’s and your Dad’s are most interesting, and well explained. The first photo’ of 310 076, on an up passenger service, it is warmer and more natural than the following photo’ of the same train as taken by your Dad. Same results, of course, for the next two photo’s. The last photo’ is a good warm one of a class 85 on an up express. So your camera, as used back then, gives, to my eyes, the better overall results.

Now the latest Morpeth photo’s are superb, with J13294, of 153358, on a Newcastle to Morpeth service, and a MklV DVT leading an  up express train, in August, 1992, shows what appears to be a small dent, of some kind, just below the driver’s side window, on the DVT. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Dent on a DVT? Almost certainly a bird strike, they can make quite a mess and receive a massive headache for the privilege at 125mph!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, great central said:

Hi Dave,

Minor correction j13294, the 153 is 308.

It must have moved from the north east further south at some point before privatisation, eventually turning up at EMT wearing black vinyls advertising some of the attractions of the South West!

When it was taken into works, done in house at Neville Hill if memory serves, it was found to be heavily corroded in places and there was also evidence of crash damage at some time in the past.

All this made the overhaul and repaint take somewhat longer than initially expected. Stagecoach were becoming a bit unusual at that time in doing full body overhauls to bare metal before repainting but it certainly helped staff morale rather than the bodge jobs that have become more common, the current EMR ones don't even get cleaned when sending them over from WM, seems something of an Abellio trademark.

Sorry if I've rambled a bit but I'm stuck in hospital so helps relieve the tedium a bit.

Once again my useless typing. Edit  Actually I was right for once.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Premium

Dave, I think that 153358 is the correct number. It appears that after initial conversion from 155s, 155308 which was comprised of vehicles 52308 and 57308, led to 52308 becoming 153308 and 57308 becoming 153358. 153358 some time later fell into line and adopted the set number within the vehicle number and became 57358.

I'm presuming this was due to the advent of the class 57s, which in the longer term it would have meant the Virgin Thunderbirds would not have been able to use those numbers.

The aforementioned 153308 in West Country black and gold livery on transfer to EMT - vehicle number 52308

153308.JPG.14341dfa4bfe76c67bda3b2f708c228a.JPG

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Dave, I think that 153358 is the correct number. It appears that after initial conversion from 155s, 155308 which was comprised of vehicles 52308 and 57308, led to 52308 becoming 153308 and 57308 becoming 153358. 153358 some time later fell into line and adopted the set number within the vehicle number and became 57358.

I'm presuming this was due to the advent of the class 57s, which in the longer term it would have meant the Virgin Thunderbirds would not have been able to use those numbers.

The aforementioned 153308 in West Country black and gold livery on transfer to EMT - vehicle number 52308

153308.JPG.14341dfa4bfe76c67bda3b2f708c228a.JPG

Ah! I stand corrected over my correction. Hope I haven't caused you too much confusion David.

Nice picture of Sleaford which incidentally looks very smart in it's recently completed heritage refurbishment, at least it didn't finish up the purple, grey and yellow patchwork inflicted on many EMR stations. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fascinating set of replacement photo’s of Preston as on the 22nd May 1971. In C621, with class 40, 233, Empress of England, on an up goods service, it’s great seeing the weathering on those 16 ton wagons. It’s all of help when it comes to weathering models of them.

The photo’s of Southside, on the ECML in Northumberland, are excellent and in C16623, with 43096, leading an up HST, on the 16th November, 1991, it can be seen that 43096 was in a bit of a state with the cantrail grills a bit worn, and a grill missing, unless I’m seeing things. The power car is really quite dirty too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, DaveF said:

1472603070_PrestonClass50421upexpass22ndMay71C627.jpg.8bd95b06381033ed1b17c517499eeafa.jpg

Preston Class 50 421 up ex pass 22nd May 71 C627

280299434_Prestonupexpass22ndMay71C628.jpg.710859e78bb32de5a803ff9dba721a1b.jpg

No shortage of BRUTEs and interestingly there is one with diamond mesh in the last shot, didn't know there were any like that. The previous photo has one in it's natural habitat near the platform end, but devoid of spotters.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, DaveF said:

1472603070_PrestonClass50421upexpass22ndMay71C627.jpg.8bd95b06381033ed1b17c517499eeafa.jpg

Preston Class 50 421 up ex pass 22nd May 71 C627

David

That's a fantastic signal to model at the end of that platform !

Kev.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, DaveF said:

Preston on 22nd May 1971 for today.  At the time I was at Manchester University taking my final degree exams.

My 13th birthday. Whilst you were photographing around Preston that day, I was in the Sheffield area - seeking out class 76s and the like.  🙂

• Like 1

J4625 and J4626 are the same train aren't they? In J4625 you can just see the first empty flask wagon behind the van and the shock open (presumably those are there as barrier vehicles).

I stayed on that coast once, just down the line at Seascale - strange place, hovering between desolate and beautiful, depending on the weather!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1